What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The Hunchback of Notre Dame Legacy Edition now up for Pre-Order (September 22nd is currently the release date):

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Hunchback of Notre Dame Legacy Edition now up for Pre-Order (September 22nd is currently the release date):

Will wonders never cease...I didn't expect another release in this line. Ever.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Will wonders never cease...I didn't expect another release in this line. Ever.
The soundtrack producer spilled the beans about this particular release in an interview he did earlier this year. It is unclear whether this will be an isolated release or whether it is the start of a new series of them. Obviously, I will take what I can get. But since they are tying this to the anniversary year again, it's worth noting that next year is the anniversary for Aladdin (30) and Hercules (25.) Those will be the only two Alan Menken scores from this period which have yet to receive Legacy Collection editions. So it would be nice to get those.

I'm very temped to place my preorder for Hunchback right now. But hopefully it will turn up on Amazon soon so I can get free shipping from them. I looked there and thus far it is not listed.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I must have missed that earlier in the year, Jake. But it's still good news...you know I'm a fan of this music (I say as I'm syncing close to 2,000 new theme parks tracks to my phone...).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just added Hunchback to my cart at Disney to see what the shipping cost would be. It costs $6.82 for just this one item to arrive 5-7 business days after the shipping date or $26.31 (more than the cost of the actual CD!) to arrive 2 days after the ship date.

Both of these prices are ridiculous. I know I have every reason to wait for Amazon to list it. But I hope they do that soon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anyone who might know: how long does it typically take for Amazon to list new products when they are announced? I know it's only been two days, so I wouldn't say I'm worried, but I am looking forward to locking in my pre-order. Thus far, Disney Music Emporium that Jack listed is the only place I can find listing this Hunchback for pre-order.

The Disney/Amazon feud over Blu-rays has never extended to CDs, books or anything other than physical home media movie releases, so the delay cannot be attributed to that.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I wish Disney would get around to releasing comprehensive albums from some of their live-action classic catalog. I would love for an isolated score of Pollyanna, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Swiss Family Robinson. Great stuff. Also, complete score/soundtracks of The Happiest Millionaire, the original Pete's Dragon, and, Bedknobs and Broomsticks - not just the songs, in their truncated form.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wish Disney would get around to releasing comprehensive albums from some of their live-action classic catalog. I would love for an isolated score of Pollyanna, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Swiss Family Robinson. Great stuff. Also, complete score/soundtracks of The Happiest Millionaire, the original Pete's Dragon, and, Bedknobs and Broomsticks - not just the songs, in their truncated form.

Not to sound ignorant, but Intrada released a 78 minute 20,000 Leagues CD in 2011. I don't know enough about the history of the movie to know if there is more music than that. I'm going to guess there is since the movie is over 2 hours.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have been checking multiple times a day to see if Amazon has the new Hunchback Legacy Collection release listed for order yet.

They do not.

Then it occurred to me that several other pre-orders I have with Amazon are in a holding pattern, including items that are being released in the next couple weeks. They have been slower than usual on pre-orders lately. A Blu-ray I pre-ordered all the way back on July 28 for release this coming Tuesday should be eligible for release date delivery. It's not a huge deal if I don't get it immediately, but they haven't yet even provided an estimate as to when it might arrive. Several of my orders are in a similar state of flux. So waiting for Amazon to put Hunchback up for order would not necessarily guarantee me release date delivery anyway.

So I began to consider the possibility of ordering from Disney.

I signed up for their mailing list and was sent a code for 15% off my first purchase. However, when I entered the code, it did not actually take the money off the order, even though the coupon was listed as being applied. If you're not on the mailing list yet, you can certainly try this, but I had no luck.

Then separately, I was listening to the For Scores podcast, which Disney produces. They recently put up a great interview with Alan Menken. I would highly recommend listening to it for anybody who is reading this thread. In the first episode, he discusses The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Newsies as well as his relationship with Howard Ashman. There's going to be a second episode with him which it says will debut next month, so I suspect that will cover the rest of his Disney career post-Ashman's death. I wish it was available right now. But anyway, during a commercial break in the podcast, the host plugged Disney Music Emporium and gave a separate 15% off code: "FORSCORES15." I tried that one on Hunchback and it worked fine. It seems like it will get you 15% off any order, before tax and shipping.

It reduced the price of Hunchback from $21.98 to $18.68. So I went ahead and placed the order.

I don't know if the mailing list 15% off first order coupon is stackable with the For Scores coupon, but I doubt it. You could try that if you got the mailing list one to work, but since I couldn't, I just used the For Scores one as an alternative.

Again, that code is "FORSCORES15" without the quote marks.

The ridiculous shipping price was unaffected by the coupon, so my final price was $27.05 with shipping and tax. This is really high for a CD, but it's Hunchback, which has always been one of my favorite Disney films. So I'm sure I will use it a lot, and now I don't have to worry about what Amazon may or may not do with it.

Disney says the approximate ship date is September 22. I chose the cheaper shipping option so will get it 3-8 business days later. (The other option was $26 for 2-day shipping, but I'm not going to pay more than the price of the CD for shipping.). I guess I can live with this.

I also noticed that Amazon is out.f stock of the Legacy Collection release of Pinocchio for some reason. This is one of the earlier releases which I wanted but haven't gotten around to getting yet. Disney still has that one, so I'm considering getting it from them if Amazon doesn't restock it soon. The For Scores coupon does not appear to have a use limit, so I could use it again for that. However, the FAQ page says that if your order includes a pre-order, the entire order will wait to ship until the pre-order is ready to ship. So I didn't want to combine Pinocchio (in stock now) with Hunchback. I can always do Pinocchio separately later.

But I certainly do miss shipping being included with Prime on the occasion that I don't use Amazon. :lol:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout!

Great news. An unexpected surprise. Thanks!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Those of you who are surprised should read this thread more often. :lol:

@richardburton84 posted this all the way back on April 23 in post #737. While the release date itself is news, we've known Hunchback was coming since then:

Looks like the Legacy Collection will be coming back at an unspecified time. About 7 or 8 minutes into the below podcast, famed recording engineer Bruce Botnick dropped a pretty major bombshell about him working on an upcoming title in the collection.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Those of you who are surprised should read this thread more often. :lol:

@richardburton84 posted this all the way back on April 23 in post #737. While the release date itself is news, we've known Hunchback was coming since then:

I get the auto-email's with new replies, but April 23 was the day before we left Seattle for good...I had just gotten through a work deadline, had the entire house painted, sold all of our belongings and were a day away from having a near whole house renovation. I'll chalk not remembering that post up to all that stuff happening at the same time. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I get the auto-email's with new replies, but April 23 was the day before we left Seattle for good...I had just gotten through a work deadline, had the entire house painted, sold all of our belongings and were a day away from having a near whole house renovation. I'll chalk not remembering that post up to all that stuff happening at the same time. :D
I was pretty much doing the same thing, Jason. Packing and moving after 32 years in the same house. It's quite a challenging undertaking. One of the most all-consuming processes I've ever been through--maybe 2nd only to my near-death illness seven years ago. THAT still ranks at the top of my list, I guess! :laugh:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
First, the good news; Hunchback Legacy Collection is now on streaming services. Now, the bad news, unless the streaming versions are messed up, the album is criminally missing the climactic portion of the track “And He Shall Smite the Wicked,” which was on the original soundtrack album.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
First, the good news; Hunchback Legacy Collection is now on streaming services.
For some reason, I can't find it on Apple Music yet, which is what I use. They only have the original release. Amazon has it for digital download, but I'm not going to pay to buy the MP3 just to listen to it now. I'll wait for the CD.
Now, the bad news, unless the streaming versions are messed up, the album is criminally missing the climactic portion of the track “And He Shall Smite the Wicked,” which was on the original soundtrack album.
Like I said, I can't actually compare the tracks because I don't have access to the new one yet. But the cue for "And He Shall Smite the Wicked" on my original CD from 1996 is 3:31. Amazon lists the new track of the same name from the Legacy Collection edition as running 8:02. That would at least suggest that the new one is substantially longer. It's also worth noting that it is the last track on the first disc of the CD.

The next track on the new edition "Emergence," is listed on Amazon as being 2:12. I'm just guessing here, but it might be that they moved some music that was previously part of the "And He Shall Smite the Wicked" track to the "Emergence" track for disc space reasons. I would be very surprised if there is any music that made the final cut of the film that is absent from this release because the whole point of re-releasing it seems to be to provide the whole score.

But again, everything in this post is speculation because I don't actually have the new version yet.

If you are correct and there is missing music, that would be a major blunder on the part of the soundtrack producing team indeed.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The original album version:

The Legacy Edition version of the track (the bulk of which is technically the Sanctuary cue from the original album):

And for the sake of thoroughness, the Emergence cue on the Legacy album:

The missing portion present on the original album can be found at approximately 1:40 of the first video. With the second video, the track inexplicably stops before the music for Frollo searching for Quasimodo and Esmeralda. So needless to say, Disney has really bungled this one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, that's troubling. It seems like you are correct @richardburton84. That's definitely weird.

I'll be very interested to hear what is on my physical CD when it gets here.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney Music Emporium originally said that Hunchback CDs would ship "on or about" September 22. When I got an email from them this morning, I thought it would be a shipping confirmation.

Actually, it wasn't. I got an email from them reminding me that I had Hunchback in my cart and to finish my order, even though I did finish my order. Earlier in the month, I had trouble getting a coupon to apply in one browser so went into another browser and completed my order. Apparently this caused the system to believe I still had the CD in my cart.

Anyway, I checked the website again and they now estimate that shipping for new pre-orders will be September 24. My order is in and still says "in progress." So I guess it will be going out on the 24th as well.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Even though it’s only an extra two days, let’s hope the delay is because Disney’s doing something to fix the blunder on “And He Shall Smite the Wicked,” even though it’s probably not that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks