What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Only two songs were relatively unknown to me: Try Everything (Zootopia) and I See the Light (Tangled). I've seen both films but do not remember those songs.

Here's a refresher:

Try Everything is a pop song within the world of Zootopia that appears a couple of times throughout the film, including an end credits sequence that doubles as an in-universe concert.

I See the Light is the big song from the moment when Rapunzel and Flynn see the lanterns, which was her goal for the whole film up to that point.

I'd enjoy hearing that CD if there is an American release at some point, but I don't think I want it badly enough to import from Japan. Glad to hear you liked it though. Thanks for posting.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just stumbled on an interesting new release. "Disney Goes Classical" will have mostly instrumental recordings performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. This has been a digital exclusive for a bit (iTunes says it was first available October 2), but the discs are coming this week.

View attachment 80483

View attachment 80484

I'm not sure why they chose to have a few songs sung while all of the other tracks are instrumental. That makes them stick out a little like a sore thumb, even though the performances are good, because they break up the feel of the instrumental album. Also, Can You Feel the Love Tonight? uses the lyrics for the pop single version performed originally by Elton John rather than the lyrics from the version inside the film. When She Loved Me Is performed by a bunch of men, which doesn't sound bad but is strange because of course it is traditionally a female song in the movie.

But it all good material. Amazon's price right now is $16.98, and I'd really like that to go down a little bit. But I'll probably get it sooner or later anyway.

I picked up this new Disney Classical album - and I have to confess I do not love it. To my ear, it has neither energy nor passion. In particular, the Mary Poppins Overture lacks the spirit of Mr. Kostal's original. And there are only 3 songs from the Walt era. And I agree that the vocals stick out like a sore thumb, and some are better than others.

There was a Disney classical-style album release 25 years ago, called "Heigh Ho Mozart" and I actually love that one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There was a Disney classical-style album release 25 years ago, called "Heigh Ho Mozart" and I actually love that one.

Well, then, I hope you also have Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bach in your collection! :laugh:

715e3sO-QPL._SS500_.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Any fans of The Nightmare Before Christmas out there might be interested in this. A bunch of Broadway actors are putting on a live-streamed concert event on Vemo tonight featuring the songs from the movie. Tickets are $4.99 and go to The Actors Fund, which supports people who work in the entertainment industry who have been affected by the pandemic.

The cast includes: Rafael Casal (Blindspotting, Bad Education), Adrienne Warren (Tina: The Tina Turner Musical, Shuffle Along, Bring It On: The Musical), James Monroe Iglehart (Aladdin, Hamilton, Memphis), Danny Burstein (Moulin Rouge!, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof), Nik Walker (Ain’t Too Proud, Hamilton, Motown The Musical), Lesli Margherita (Dames at Sea, Matilda, EmojiLand), Rob McClure (Honeymoon in Vegas, Something Rotten!, Chaplin, Mrs. Doubtfire, Beetlejuice) and more.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some songs from the new Mary Poppins live recording have been released online early. The full album is released this coming Friday, November 6 and is getting released in the United States as well, so you won't have to import. I love these and can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just happened upon this on YouTube. It is from the Royal Variety Performance in London back in 2019 B.C. (Before COVID), featuring the cast of the Marry Poppins revival performing a medley of selections from the show.

This is so fantastic. I can't wait to get the new album.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anybody interested, the new Mary Poppins cast album is now out in full and it's fantastic. The new cast is top notch, and it is the most complete recording of the stage score yet released, including stuff that wasn't on the previous two albums from 2004 and 2011. If you're a big fan of Mary Poppins, I think you'll probably want to pick it up. I'm so glad they were able to record this before COVID shut the production down. I wasn't expecting to get any new theatre albums for a long time for obvious reasons, and this release was a surprise to me when it was announced. It is a very welcome delight. I've been listening for most of the day and it has been a while since I have been this happy. Mary Poppins is very much a tonic for trying times. Unfortunately, she can't cure COVID, but she can bring joy, and this recording does that in spades.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney Legend Lea Salonga is releasing a new album in a couple of weeks. She is of course the singing voice for Jasmine and Mulan from their original animated features. Lea Salonga Live in Concert With the Sydney Symphony Orchestra will be released November 27. The track list includes a few Disney songs.

1. Overture
2. Feelin’ Good
3. Out There
4. Reflection
5. The Human Heart
6. Will He Like Me/Vanilla Ice Cream/Till There Was You
7. Journey to the Past
8. Why God Why?
9. Meadowlark
10. Children Will Listen
11. Drops of Jupiter
12. Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
13. A Whole New World (featuring Mat Verevis)
14. This Is Me
15. On My Own
16. Boy Band Medley

The concert was also filmed and will air on PBS under the Great Performances banner beginning the same day as the album release.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Disney Legend Lea Salonga is releasing a new album in a couple of weeks. She is of course the singing voice for Jasmine and Mulan from their original animated features. Lea Salonga Live in Concert With the Sydney Symphony Orchestra will be released November 27. The track list includes a few Disney songs.

1. Overture
2. Feelin’ Good
3. Out There
4. Reflection
5. The Human Heart
6. Will He Like Me/Vanilla Ice Cream/Till There Was You
7. Journey to the Past
8. Why God Why?
9. Meadowlark
10. Children Will Listen
11. Drops of Jupiter
12. Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
13. A Whole New World (featuring Mat Verevis)
14. This Is Me
15. On My Own
16. Boy Band Medley

The concert was also filmed and will air on PBS under the Great Performances banner beginning the same day as the album release.

I'll have to watch this concert. Apart from the original, the incomparable Barbara Cook, can anyone today sing Ice Cream like the glorious, incandescent Laura Benanti?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
can anyone today sing Ice Cream like the glorious, incandescent Laura Benanti?

Off topic for Disney, but I do love Laura Benanti on that song. (Incidentally, she also has a new album that came out recently.). But Audra McDonald is very good too:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Off topic for Disney, but I do love Laura Benanti on that song. (Incidentally, she also has a new album that came out recently.). But Audra McDonald is very good too:

Audra is another goddess. I have all her albums. She was a revelation in Ragtime and she's been showered with Tonys.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, then, I hope you also have Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bach in your collection!
I hadn't known of these before. I just listened to a sample of Heigh Ho Mozart and immediately ordered both CDs. These are going to be fun to hear! Thanks for mentioning them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sad news I only recently discovered: Al Kasha, co-writer of the Pete's Dragon score and the theme songs to Freaky Friday and The North Avenue Irregulars as well as some songs that ended up on The New Mickey Mouse Club, died a couple of months ago. His Oscar-winning themes from The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno are now Disney-by-proxy because of the Fox deal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All indications are that the Newsies Fathom Event will also be released on both DVD and Blu-ray by Disney...eventually.

Having already seen the National Tour...and having had some bad experiences at special Fathom events...I'll wait for the Blu.

Great stage production though...and I look forward to seeing some of the original Broadway cast in their roles.

I saw the trailer for the Fathom event in the theater and it looks like many of the same people Peg and I saw on tour. If so, I gotta say I thought the woman who played Medda was completely wrong for that role. .

The discussion about the recorded production of Newsies at the end of its national tour back in 2017 didn't quite pan out. No blu-ray I just realized, as I sit watching the production on Disney+.

It's too bad. I'd LOVE to have one. But who could have guessed there'd ever be a D+ and a national pandemic?!?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Looks like the Legacy Collection will be coming back at an unspecified time. About 7 or 8 minutes into the below podcast, famed recording engineer Bruce Botnick dropped a pretty major bombshell about him working on an upcoming title in the collection.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for posting that, Jack. I would not have found that if left to my own devices.

With the exception of Beauty and the Beast, I'm pretty sure every title in the Legacy Collection was released to coincide with a major anniversary for the film in question. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year (specifically June.). I have to imagine we'll know pretty soon if it is going to come in June, but even if it doesn't I think there is every reason to expect based on this interview that it will come at some point this year. So that's exciting.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of Hercules and the 30th anniversary of Aladdin (good grief, I feel old), both of which have not had Legacy Collection releases yet. I would of course prefer to get those films added as soon as possible, but if Disney is stuck on doing these as anniversary releases, then those are good candidates to follow next year assuming Hunchback isn't a one-off.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Robin Hood’s Legacy Edition was released one year before its 45th Anniversary, so that’s the only Legacy besides Beauty that didn’t celebrate an anniversary.

As far as non-Renaissance era possibilities, The Rescuers is celebrating its 45th Anniversary next year, and was in fact rumored for awhile after a tracklist got leaked over at Film Score Monthly two years ago, though nothing came of it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I still want to see some kind of release for the Buddy Baker scoring sessions for the original three Winnie the Pooh featurettes that comprise The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The actual original film vocals have never gotten any kind of official soundtrack release anywhere on Earth that I am aware of. Every Disney-branded Pooh record, tape, and CD with these songs is a re-recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks