What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Adrienne Walker, who currently plays Nala in the Broadway production of Shadowland, belted out "Shadowland" for Broadway.com.

Why they didn't use more elements of the Broadway score to distinguish the remake movie is beyond me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a pleasant surprise. Disney has released a new version of "Into the Unknown" from Frozen II. In this one, the whole song, including Elsa's role, is performed wholly by Aurora, who was the voice of The Voice in the original version. Although the original Menzel/Aurora track is definitive, this is quite nice and a much better cover than the one they used over the credits of the film. This one can now be purchased in all the usual digital music outlets as a single.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon just shipped my copy of Matthew Morrison's album. I'm so glad that the feud is only with the Blu-ray division and doesn't affect music or books or other Disney products.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copy of Matthew Morrison's album just got here.

I'm heading out to see Onward now so will listen and comment later, but the packaging revealed that his duet partner for A Whole New World is Broadway alum Shoshana Bean.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
After a particularly busy weekend, I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to my copy yesterday.

It's good -- Morrison sings well, and there are interesting new arrangements that give the disc a unique sound comparative to the versions from the films.

But the whole disc runs just 32:09, so it feels really slight. Given access to the full breadth of Disney's song catalog, it surprises me that they didn't want to record at least a few more to make the whole disc more satisfying. As has already been mentioned, there's no Sherman Brothers song on there. And obviously there are lots of other songs that they could have chosen to fill out the album a little more.

What is there, I like. But it's not much, and that's unfortunate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I listened to the Matthew Morrison disc once-through last night.

I found it...bland.

I didn't find anything which stood out as very interesting...or noteworthy.

And, as Jake noted: it goes by quick.

One thing which I thought was a bad idea was grouping three particular songs in close proximity to each other: The Second Star to the Right, A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes and When You Wish Upon a Star. Three great, great songs. I would have just spread them out throughout the mostly newer material on the disc.

Now, I've got more Disney "cover" albums/CDs than I can easily count. Some of them are quite remarkable. This one is not.

Maybe it'll grow on me after more listens. But I doubt it.

I'll have to put together a list sometime of some of my favorite Disney cover albums.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Susan Egan, Courtney Reed (Broadway's original Jasmine) and Laura Osnes (Broadway's Cinderella in the 2013 production of the R&H version) performed an updated "Go the Distance."

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Stars in the House is a show with interviews and singing from entertainment personalities during the pandemic that's being done remotely via YouTube to benefit The Actor's Fund. Today, guests include Kristin Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, the songwriters of Frozen, with Santino Fontana (Hans), Jonathan Groff (Kristoff) and Josh Gad (Olaf.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Stars of Disney's various Broadway musicals singing Go the Distance (remotely from their homes) on Good Morning America earlier this week. They used the lyrics for the credits version originally by Michael Bolton:

Edited to remove embed of now-dead YouTube video.

and, James Monroe Iglehart (the original Genie from the Broadway production of Aladdin) singing a Disney medley:

In bad news, the previously-announced streaming event for Disney On Broadway's 25th anniversary concert, which was to be a fundraiser for coronavirus relief, has been torpedoed by a union dispute:

https://www.playbill.com/article/ce...-on-broadway-concert-streaming-event-canceled

But ABC is airing a separate celebrity Disney singalong special on Thursday:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/the-di...abc-christina-aguilera-luke-evans-1202905581/

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tonight at 7pm Eastern is the livestream of last year's Disney On Broadway 25th anniversary concert for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. The concert was recorded in November before all the social distancing. Ryan McCartan, who is hosting and will conduct new interviews with Disney stars remotely from their homes, was playing Hans in Frozen on Broadway before everything shut down.

Edit: Embed removed because the concert has now been removed from YouTube.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Broadway.com has been continuing their Live At Five interview series during the shutdown, checking in with Broadway stars remotely from their homes.

On Tuesday, they talked to Mackenzie Kurtz, who took over as Anna in Frozen shortly before the quarantine.

And today's guest was Bradley Gibson, who plays Simba in The Lion King.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Disney On Broadway concert video is going to be removed at midnight EST. So watch it soon if you haven't already done so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is strictly a rumor and I would take it with a large grain of salt. However, I'm posting it anyway because I wish it to be true. According to this, Disney is considering streaming last year's filmed production of Aladdin from London because the show is now temporarily closed worldwide due to the virus.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, the songwriters of Frozen, appeared for a remote interview on Broadway producer Ken Davenport's livestream series last week to talk about their process and what their life is like now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks