1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I can't help but notice that not even one Sherman Bros. song is on that list.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Well, there are only ten songs. I suspect Morrison chose the ones he wanted to sing. It doesn't bother me because the CD is not making a claim of being comprehensive. If it were trying to be a representative sample of the entire canon, then you would need to have something by the Shermans for sure., but I don't think that is the goal of an album with only ten tracks.

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The Broadway production of Frozen will welcome three new stars on February 18: McKenzie Kurtz as Anna, Ciara Renée as Elsa, and Ryan McCartan as Hans.

They replace Patti Murin (Anna), Cassie Levy (Elsa) and Joe Carroll (Hans), who will play their final performances together on February 16. Murin and Levy have been with the stage production since its out-of-town tryout in Denver in 2017.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/197764/ciara-renee-mckenzie-kurtz-ryan-mccartan-to-join-frozen-on-broadway/

Renée previously played Esmeralda in the premiere production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill Playhouse, and is on the studio cast recording of that score.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Thomas Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Productions, spoke with Broadway.com about his book and his job at Disney.

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    "Friend Like Me" from Matthew Morrison's upcoming Disney album is out as another single, following Go the Distance.

I don't think he is nearly as successful at this one as he was on Go the Distance. It's not bad, but just seems to lack the manic energy usually associated with the song. That being said, I like his interpretation better than Will Smith's.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Broadway.com did an interview with Kevin Del Agulia, who plays Oaken in the Broadway production of Frozen. And he was also in the original movie as a singing troll in "Fixer Upper."

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  8. Message #648 of 672 Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Spoilers below for the original Frozen movie that came out seven years ago, but I will assume anyone interested in reading this thread has probably seen that by now. ;)

Disney has taken the unusual step of revising the Broadway musical of Frozen almost two years after its original opening.

The new cast which debuted this week also brought with them a new song, "I Can't Lose You," which originated in the national tour that began last November.

What I didn't know until this week is that the new song isn't just an addition; it actually replaces one of the songs from the movie, the "For the First Time in Forever" reprise (from when Anna arrives at Elsa's ice palace.)

For context, here is the scene as it appeared in the film:

Here is the song from the Original Broadway Cast Recording, as performed in the Broadway show up until this week:

And here is the new song, performed by the new cast this morning on Live with Kelly and Ryan:

I love the new cast. They're crazy talented. In a vacuum, if it were not replacing one of the original songs, the new song is good. But everyone knows what it is replacing, and the original is better, not to mention being more connected to the rest of the score because it is a reprise and the new song is a brand new melody. So I do not think that the new song is an improvement.

I also think that it's very clear that the vast majority, if not all, of the audience coming into see Frozen on stage has already seen the movie. They're going to know the songs from the movie and expect them to be included. So the choice to replace one of the songs that people want to be there seems bizarre to me.

Kristoff also gets a new reprise of the show-only song "What Do You Know About Love" in the second act (which has not been performed outside of the show yet.). Also, the second act opener "Hyggge" is shortened a bit. Here is the original version of the latter, which takes place at Oaken's sauna:

In an attempt to speed up the end of the show, they have also cut Anna's second act solo number, "True Love." This one was added for the show and is not in the movie, so its absence won't be noticed by people who aren't acquainted with the show before they see it. However, I think it is a mistake to cut it. Technically, they can, because it is a character-based song for Anna that is about her changing perspective and growth over the course of the show, but no one else is in it and it doesn't move the plot forward. But character development monologue songs are a convention that is perfect for the theatre, where people expect a fuller evening, as opposed to in a 90-minute movie where there is less time to wrap things up. I think this is the best song that was newly written for the show, and its loss is unfortunate. (For context, it takes place after Hans reveals his plan and locks Anna in the room to die.)

Here is an article in which Thomas Schumacher (president of Disney Theatrical) and Michael Gandrage (the show's director) discuss the changes and the rationale for them:

https://broadwaynews.com/2020/02/18/a-new-frozen-comes-to-broadway/

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Here is video from the Frozen Broadway curtain call on Sunday night. This marked the last performance for the two original leads, Patti Murin (Anna) and Caissie Levy (Elsa.). Also departing at the same time were Joe Carroll (who has played Hans for the last year) and Chad Barris (who has played Olaf for the last few months while the previous-and-current Olaf, Ryann Redmond, recovered from an injury.)

10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    A behind-the-scenes feature with the cast of the Frozen tour:

11. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I went to see the touring version of Frozen on Saturday night and really enjoyed every second of it. Different arrangements of songs for sure (I didn't love the stage version of Fixer Upper...it seemed too slow), but the new songs worked better in the show for me than they did standalone on the CD.

Going again on Wednesday night.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Thanks for the report, Jason. Glad to hear it's so good. They're going to be here next season and I'm very excited.

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The soundtrack for Pixar's Onward is now available digitally as of last Friday, February 28, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any plans for a physical release of it. I can't find pre-order listings anywhere. It's really good -- and so is the movie -- so I bought the digital version, but I would've rather had a CD.

Coming this Friday is Matthew Morrison's Disney album, and that one is getting a physical release. I have that one pre-ordered with Amazon so will report back after I get it.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Me too.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It occurred to me today that the Legacy Collection release of Beauty and the Beast was back in February 2018. So it's now been over two years since we've had a new release in that line. That one seemed to come out of nowhere because the film's 25th anniversary was in 2016, but I suspect they wanted to delay the release in order to not compete directly with the soundtrack for the live-action remake, which was out in early 2017.

As we have previously discussed, there are a lot of films which I would love to get complete score soundtracks for, but if there was only going to be one more, I really wish they would at least do Aladdin so that the Menken/Ashman "trilogy" would be complete, but they probably don't care. If they wanted to avoid re-releasing the Aladdin soundtrack in close proximity to the one for the remake, they could do that any time now because the remake was out last May. But they probably won't.

16. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Whenever I see an Insta post about an old Legacy release, I always comment and ask about a new one. I get nothing in return. My gut says it's over and done. No news from D23 last year, nothing for any of the billion dollar movies last year...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  17. Message #657 of 672 Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Well, since the Legacy Collection was only ever exclusively catalog titles, I didn't think much of them excluding new films from this line. However, it might have prompted some of the corresponding originals to get reissued as such. The Lion King already had its Legacy release, but you're right that they've done nothing for Aladdin or the Toy Story sequels. They could even have re-released the original Frozen in chronological order and with some of its missing cues, but didn't. I'm also kind of depressed that we couldn't even get a CD release for the instrumental score of Frozen II. They definitely seem like they are moving on. I just wish they weren't.

18. Message #658 of 672 Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Here's an embed of Go the Distance from Matthew Morrison's album, audio only. I found I like it better hearing just the audio instead of looking at the distracting music video footage and sound effects as previously released. I'm looking forward to getting the full album on Friday.

That being said, why whenever there is a cover of Go the Distance do they always use the lyrics from Michael Bolton's credits single instead of the lyrics from the version embodied in the film itself? Not that the single version is bad, but I like the version in the body of the film better and wish it got more recognition.

19. richardburton84

richardburton84 Second Unit

Jack
    And to add more fuel to the fire, they’re definitely not sub-licensing these particular scores as Intrada Records (who has a deal with Disney) inquired about releasing at least The Rescuers and Mulan several months ago and were told that they were holding onto them for their own “potential” plans, whatever they may be. The exact quotes from Roger Feigelson can be found in the link below.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8294&start=0

MatthewA and Jake Lipson like this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I highly doubt this means anything. As stupid as this sounds, Disney probably thinks they are too valuable to license but not valuable enough to do anything with, which means we won't get anything. They licensed stuff like The Black Cauldron and Oz the Great and Powerful to Intrida before. Mulan is a much more recognizable title than those, and with the remake coming out, of course Disney wants to keep the rights and not use them.