1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Message #601 of 609 Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Ramin Karimloo included Let It Go from Frozen on his new album "From Now On," which is out today, and it's certainly a uniquely flavored recording of the song. Listen below.

For those of you who might not be familiar with his work, Ramin is a world-renowned musical theatre performer who has appeared on Broadway in the 2014 revival of Les Miserables, for which he was Tony-nominated as Jean Valjean. He also originated the role of Gleb in the Broadway premiere of Anastasia. He led the 25th anniversary production of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall and was in the 25th anniversary concert production of Les Miserables as Enjoras. Both of those two were professionally filmed and were released on Blu-ray.

Also, I highly recommend the complete album, for those interested -- it's great -- although this is the only Disney song on it. Most of the rest of it is modern musical theater songs, with a few pop hits thrown in. The title track comes "From Now On" from The Greatest Showman film (which I didn't like as a film, but Ramin does a good job on the song.)

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice. Thanks, Jake.

Seemed like a pretty straight-forward rendition to me. Very nicely done.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything -- nor should it -- but I meant, I'm not used to hearing it with those instruments. Also,of course there are lyric changes to make it suitable for a male singer. If it had been done this way in the context of the film, it would have been more like Phil Collins singing over Tarzan or Randy Newman singing over Toy Story, rather than something that came from the character. Since it's obviously written as a female song, this was about the only way he could do it, but it does change the song into a commentary instead of a self-statement.

On a similar but different note, here's a recent video of Patti Murin (Anna) and Cassie Levy (Elsa) singing the Let It Go Finale from the Frozen Broadway musical. Note that this is a new reprise of the song, with adjusted lyrics, that ends the entire show. It's not exactly a spoiler because we all know the end of the story, and it appears on the show's cast album in its entirety. However, it is from the very end of the show, so if you don't want a sense of how the show ends before seeing it, don't watch this.

http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-frozens-caissie-levy-and-patti-murin-sing-let-it-go-finale

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. I did note the banjo! :laugh:

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I saw on Facebook that the upcoming D23 Expo will have a presentation on the music of Aladdin.

I'd just like to put it out there that they should use that time to announce a Legacy Collection release of the original 1992 film's soundtrack.

Beauty and the Beast should have had its Legacy Collection release in 2016 to go with its anniversary, but instead it randomly released in February 2018. I suspect that the delay was the result of Walt Disney Records not wanting to release a new edition of the animated soundtrack too close to the release of the live-action film soundtrack, lest they compete with each other for people's dollars.

If that is the case, Aladdin should be able to be released soon. The live-action film has come out and has been a resounding financial success, so if the animated film soundtrack were to be reissued now, it would not impede the success of the new film's soundtrack.

I have no idea if this is actually going to happen or not. But it should.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan would be welcome, also.

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I am hoping that is one of the panels I can make an advance reservation for prior to expo. IIRC, they've used Expo in the past to launch some Legacy Collection titles, so we'll see. I'm not terribly hopeful the line is going to continue, but we get random releases for not apparent reason.

If I get to ask a question on the Legacy Collection continuing, I will.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Obviously, I want the line to continue, but if we were only going to get one more random release and I could choose it, the complete score of the animated Aladdin would be the one I would choose. No question.

Please do let us know how the panel goes if you can attend!

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Caroline Bowman -- who will star as Elsa in the upcoming Frozen national tour -- performed Let It Go at Broadway in Chicago's summer concert: