1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I've had the album for a few weeks and, thanks to computer and iTunes issues, didn't get it loaded up until this past weekend. I listed to pieces of it and it's not grabbing me. Yet. That's fairly normal for new music: it takes a while to work it's way into my bones. I will end up having a whole world of time starting Friday night, so I plan on letting it soak in.

I do find it interesting the whole album is on a free service. This is more than normal marketing. Something feels wrong, but I don't know what it is yet.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Most major albums end up getting uploaded to YouTube anyway, so maybe Disney just thought they'd get out ahead of it. The streaming/download version is already available, as you noted, and I doubt they're going to lose many sales because people are streaming it on YouTube. I'm still going to buy it.

Disney has been pretty generous with the clips lately too. Here's a fully staged performance of For the First Time In Forever which they aired from the St. James Theatre on Good Morning America:

And The View got Let It Go:

Jason_V likes this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Amazon is now shipping pre-orders of Frozen CDs ahead of its release tomorrow. I just got the confirmation.

Also, remember there will be a performance from the show on the Tony Awards on Sunday, where the show is nominated for Best Musical, Best Book and Best Score.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    The Frozen Facebook page just posted this photo with the caption "They're here."

Frozen OBCR.

Not gonna lie, for some reason this makes me really excited to get my copy of the physical CD in the mail this afternoon and do a closer listen than I was via YouTube. The booklet should have some nice photos of the production too.

Who else is getting one?

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Some day. Eventually. I'm sure.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Frozen came this afternoon and I've been listening to it almost nonstop since.

I think when I listened to it on YouTube earlier, my reaction was muted because I got hung up on the differences with the film. Because I know the film songs backwards and forwards at this point, and there are some minor changes to almost all of them here, it took one listen to get past noticing "That's not how it was," or "They changed that line" or whatever. It's not that the changes are problematic, but if you're used to it being one thing and then suddenly thy use a different phrase or a different note, it is going to make you go, "Huh." Since I already got that out of my system, I was able to just focus on what it is today, rather than what it isn't. And what it is is very good.

The cast don't make any attempt to sound like their counterparts from the film, but once you make the adjustment that it's new people, it becomes easy to listen and appreciate their voices and their takes on the songs. And the new songs that are added do a nice job of fleshing out moments that were quicker-paced dialogue scenes in the film. Anna, Elsa and Hans all get new introspective solos, and Anna and Kristoff's argument about her engagement to Hans becomes a funny, bouncy up-tempo duet number. Of all the major characters, only Olaf doesn't gt to sing anything new that he didn't also sing in the film. There's a bonus track at the end of a song for him called "Everything Falls Apart" which was cut, so it's on the album but doesn't feature in the show. Unfortunately, there's no explanation as to why it was removed, and I rather liked it.

Of the new songs, only "Hygge," the act-two opener sung by Oaken plays awkwardly in audio format. It sounds like a big production number and I think there's probably some physical showmanship going on in the staging of it which obviously can't come through on a CD, so I think I'll probably like that better when I eventually see the tour.

It's also worth noting that they've moved some things around relative to their placement in the film. I'll put this in spoiler brackets in case anyone cares, but it's nothing you wouldn't just figure out from listening to the album if you've seen the film before.

Anna meets Kristoff well before they get to Oaken's (which, like I said, is the act 2 opener.) Also, Olaf gets introduced earlier, and In Summer is in the first act. Naturally, Let It Go gets delayed a bit and is moved to the end of act 1, because there's no way it could be anything other than the big act break song. The scene with Hans, Westleton and the townspeople is before Let It Go now.

The only real complaint I have is the same that I had with the film. This one is a spoiler, but only if you've never seen the film -- I wouldn't think we need a spoiler tag for Frozen at this point, but just in case --
    I thought they might add an "evil reprise" of Love is an Open Door when Hans reveals his true colors and locks Anna in the room, which always felt to me like a natural spot for Hans to have a big classic Disney villain song, which the film doesn't really give him. This would have been the first thing I added to the musical if I were involved with it, so I'm really surprised they didn't do this.

But what is here is all really good, and I think fans will be really pleased with it. I can't wait to see the show when it tours around these parts.

The booklet with the CD is nicely done and includes complete lyrics (of course), plus color photos of the cast in costume and some of the set pieces. There's also liner notes by both producer Thomas Schumacher (who is the head of Disney Theatrical) and songwriters Robert Lopez and Kristin Anderson-Lopez about the process of making the show. Oddly enough, both of these notes separately acknowledge John Lasseter's influence on the film, which isn't a surprise (he did executive produce it), but felt odd to read since I got the CD in the mail about half an hour after his departure from Disney was announced this afternoon. So the timing of that was a bit awkward.

As you can kind of see in the graphic above, there's a sticker on the packaging that promotes new songs "and all your favorites from the film!" I thought that was ironic, since they actually did cut "Frozen Heart," the opening song of the movie, out of the show. But maybe they're guessing it doesn't qualify as anybody's "favorite." ;)

7. Message #527 of 541 Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Here's the video of the Frozen performance on the Tony Awards last night. It's both For the First Time in Forever and a portion of Let It Go:

And here's the performance by the cast of the Best Musical Revival winner, Once On This Island, including Disney Legend Lea Salonga in a supporting role:

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Mulan was released 20 years ago today.

I remember my parents picked me and my sibilings up from our summer day camp and we went to the theater, which was special because it made this the first movie I actually saw on its opening day instead of waiting until the weekend.

Mulan.

While I go feel old now, here's an interview with composer Matthew Wilder and lyricist David Zippel about the songwriting process on the movie:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/19/mulan-ill-make-a-man-out-of-you-story/

KPmusmag likes this.
  9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks for the post, Jake! I LOVE Mulan!

And it's always interesting to get those behind-the-scenes peeks at the creative process.

When they referenced the Hawaii teens who did a shot-for-shot video of I'll Make a Man Out of You, I had to check it out:

Jake Lipson likes this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I just finished watching the movie for the anniversary.

I really want a Legacy Collection release of this score. There are so many great pieces of unreleased music. Besides a lot of great instrumental that was left off the original release, the brief I'll Make a Man Out of You reprise from when they're trying to bust into the palace is gone, and, bizarrely, the version of True To Your Heart that plays over the credits has some different lyrics than he single version on the soundtrack.

11. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock Stunt Coordinator

Eve Babcock

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Awesome, Jake?!?!?

It sounds like absolute heaven-on-earth to me!!

God, I HOPE-UPON-HOPE someone video recorded that event.

Puh-leeze!!!

Jason_V and Jake Lipson like this.
  14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Someone had to have recorded it for something down the road. PBS, a retrospective, a standalone documentary...in or day and age when everyone has a vid camera and Go Pro type cameras are small and fairly cheap...it's somewhere.

I'd be completely confused if it wasn't.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  16. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    There are days I lose hope in humanity. And then something happens to restore it.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  17. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Second Unit

Every time I open this thread, I'm hoping it's an announcement for the Aladdin Legacy Collection. :huh:

Jake Lipson likes this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    +1. Aladdin is my favorite movie of all time, an I'd be all over that whenever it comes along.

That being said...Beauty and the Beast missed its 25th anniversary and was released this year I wonder if that was deliberate. Because they knew they had the remake soundtrack coming out in 2017, they might not have wanted to put out a Legacy edition of the original until after all that was over with, so as not to compete with or distract from sales of the new soundtrack.

If that's the case, they might be waiting deliberately until after the remake. Aladdin's remake is currently scheduled for May 2019, and of course a new soundtrack will accompany that. If they don't want to release the original soundtrack again during that, we might be waiting until 2020 to get it.

I'd like to make clear that I don't KNOW any of this -- it's all speculation -- so I could be wrong. For me, the release of a Legacy Collection CD for the animated film would not at all impact my decision to also get the remake soundtrack. As long as the remake's good, I'll happily buy both. But I can see why some people would maybe not want to buy both in close proximity, and can understand why Disney might be deferring to the new one.

19. Message #539 of 541 Jul 10, 2018 at 4:44 AM
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I'm not bumping this thread because of actual release news -- I wish -- but I watched A Bug's Life again tonight. It will have its 20th anniversary in November. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise if it were to receive a Legacy Collection soundtrack to mark the occasion? What a great score it is. The original release of the soundtrack from 1998 is out of print on CD, so there is a void to fill, and it only contained 48 minutes or so of music, so there's obviously more to the complete score that has never been released on CD. The Collector's Edition DVD (though not, unfortunately, the Blu-ray) has an isolated score track, so you could listen to it all that way, but I'd really like to have it on CD to play with my CD player so that I don't have to fire up the Blu-ray every time I want to put it on and work at my desk. Plus, A Bug's Life is a terrific film that deserves more respect and remembrance than I think it gets, and a soundtrack reissue as part of the Legacy Collection would be a nice way for Disney to acknowledge that and mark the anniversary.

For my money, it just might be Pixar's most gorgeous film, and it's far more ambitious in scope (both literally using the wider ratio and metaphorically speaking) and ambition than Toy Story was. Everything in Toy Story was and is great, but the sophistication and specificity of the animation really took a quantum leap in just the few years that separated those two film releases, and this was really a very big swing that paid off creatively. I think being sandwiched within the Pixar canon between the two early Toy Story films kind of causes it to be overshadowed, which is understandable but unfortunate, since it's really, really good and holds up amazingly well today.

I would love the opportunity to see it in a theater on a big screen again, even though I know they won't actually do that. Even if they were in the theatrical re-release business, the double whammy of having been directed by John Lasseter an starring Kevin Spacey would make it kind of awkward to roll out again at this precise moment in time. Fortunately, the film still plays great and is unencumbered by that real-world baggage, and I think the film's unfortunately modest legacy will remain as it continues to age, but I get why Disney might not want to draw attention to it now.

The score, however, is all on Randy Newman and could easily stand apart from their contributions, so I hope it doesn't stop Disney from taking advantage of the timing and releasing a Legacy set for it. I'd be kind of surprised if they did, but it would be a lovely and most welcome surprise.

Please, Disney? Pretty please?

Also, the animated faux outtakes which this film innovated are still hilarious. Monsters, Inc. in 2001 was the last time Pixar trotted out that particular gag, so I think long enough has passed that it would be cool to see them do that again. Maybe, like Bo Peep, they could make a return in Toy Story 4 next year. Just throwing that out there.

20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson