What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
i really wish Disney would have released the original 1964 soundtrack album of MARY POPPINS on a separate disc as part of this legacy collection. While it's great having an expanded score and hearing the songs as they are presented in the film, for pure listening pleasure, I must prefer the 1964 album. A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR eliminates all the musical "mickey-mousing" of the on-screen action and replaces it by doing full justice to the song itself. PAVEMENT ARTIST is ever so slightly expanded for the album (or it was ever so slightly trimmed in the film editing). A MAN HAS DREAMS has an alternate ending with Dick Van Dyke quietly ending the song. As a standalone album, it was practically perfect in every way and deserves to be preserved in a digital format.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
i really wish Disney would have released the original 1964 soundtrack album of MARY POPPINS on a separate disc as part of this legacy collection. While it's great having an expanded score and hearing the songs as they are presented in the film, for pure listening pleasure, I must prefer the 1964 album. A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR eliminates all the musical "mickey-mousing" of the on-screen action and replaces it by doing full justice to the song itself. PAVEMENT ARTIST is ever so slightly expanded for the album (or it was ever so slightly trimmed in the film editing). A MAN HAS DREAMS has an alternate ending with Dick Van Dyke quietly ending the song. As a standalone album, it was practically perfect in every way and deserves to be preserved in a digital format.

I could not agree more. And besides the Marni Nixon album, there was a charming storybook album (using the Marni tracks) narrated by Dal McKennon. I had all those albums as a kid. All part of the "Legacy".

I also think the Pamela Travers story sessions should be an audio supplement for the DVD. Using full range CD space on those low-fidelity recordings is a waste IMO. Besides which, I listened to them once, got the gist, and am unlikely to ever listen to them again.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

I feel the same way about Sleeping Beauty’s legacy release. The original soundtrack album (which has been on ITunes for quite some time) has a lot more unique than just the tracks with Mary Costa redoing her vocals including one cue (“Fairies to the Rescue”) which is nowhere to be found on the Legacy release. Then again, they really dropped the ball with Sleeping Beauty as there was quite a bit of unreleased music in the film which they didn’t bother to include, instead repackaging the earlier CD, made all the more frustrating by the fact that Disney pretty much said they had all the material for the score back when the first Blu-ray came out.

As for Mary Poppins, I don’t have the Legacy release of that and don’t really plan on buying it as I already have the 40th anniversary CD and am not all that interested in the Lost Chords. However, my local library has a copy of it so if I ever get interested in the Lost Chords or the album overture, I can borrow it when necessary.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I agree, of course, with all the various comments here about the missed opportunities of not releasing so many of the classic Disney LPs which were companions with the various animated features.

I always think of that aborted five-title Archives Collection set which includes Louis Prima's Poppins LP along with discs by Cliff Edwards, Burl Ives, Hayley Mills and Rex Allen. I was sure that set was going to lead to the eventual release of all kinds of great old recordings (including Camarata). But sadly, no. :(

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A friend of mine went to New York this week and saw Frozen.

Here is a list of the songs in the Playbill.

Act I:
Opening:
Vuelie
Let the Sun Shine On
A Little Bit of You
Hidden Folk
Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
For the First Time in Forever
Hans of the Southern Isles
Dangerous to Dream
Love Is an Open Door
Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
What Do You Know About Love?
In Summer
Hans of the Southern Isles (reprise)
Let It Go

Act II
Entr’acte
Hygge
For the First Time in Forever (reprise)
Fixer Upper
Kristoff Lullaby
Monster
True Love
Colder by the Minute
Finale

Note that this indicates they have cut "Frozen Heart." Also, "In Summer" has been re-sequenced to earlier in the show than it is in the movie (probably to allow for Olaf to enter in act 1), and "Let It Go" is now, naturally, the big finish to the first act.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In case anyone's interested, Frozen is down to $18.98 on Amazon...

That is Disney's usual SRP for a single-disc CD release. I suspect that the earlier $24.99 pricing may have been in place for a 2-disc set, but it's very possible that they got everything they wanted to fit on one disc. All of Disney's previous Broadway shows have had single-disc cast albums, so this is not really a surprise.

Edit to add: On the same topic, here is an interview with Dave Metzger, who orchestrated both the film and the Broadway production:

http://www.playbill.com/article/how-frozen-on-broadway-captures-a-cinematic-sound

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has confirmed that Peter Pan is its next Signature Collection Blu-ray re-release, and they're calling it an Anniversary Edition,but leaving off the number, which is 65.

This got me thinking: why isn't this also receiving a Legacy Collection soundtrack this year? I don't really need the Blu-ray again sine I got the last one, but I don't have the soundtrack and would be happy to buy a new Legacy edition to go with the others that I have in that series. Releasing it at the same time as the Blu-ray (June 5) would be nice synergy between the Blu-ray folks and the music folks, but we'd probably know by now if that was going to happen.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Disney has confirmed that Peter Pan is its next Signature Collection Blu-ray re-release, and they're calling it an Anniversary Edition,but leaving off the number, which is 65.

This got me thinking: why isn't this also receiving a Legacy Collection soundtrack this year? I don't really need the Blu-ray again sine I got the last one, but I don't have the soundtrack and would be happy to buy a new Legacy edition to go with the others that I have in that series. Releasing it at the same time as the Blu-ray (June 5) would be nice synergy between the Blu-ray folks and the music folks, but we'd probably know by now if that was going to happen.

I’m not entirely sure what’s been going on with the Legacy Collection since they came back with Robin Hood as they’ve been a bit sporadic. One possible reason there isn’t a Legacy edition for Peter Pan is elements because I recall the last CD had some tracks taken from a music-and-effects track (though not nearly as many as Alice in Wonderland’s CD). But personally, I don’t have high hopes for a Legacy edition of Peter Pan as the last few Legacy releases for films made during Walt’s time were pretty much rehashes of previous CD’s.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Frozen cast album will now be released May 11 digitally with CDs following June 8. Behind-the-scenes video of the recording session:

Track list:

Act One
1. Vuelie/Let the Sun Shine On – Company
2. A Little Bit of You – Young Elsa, Young Anna
3. Do You Want to Build a Snowman? –Young Anna, Anna, Elsa
4. For the First Time in Forever – Anna, Elsa, Townspeople
5. Hans of the Southern Isles – Hans
6. Queen Anointed – Townspeople
7. Dangerous to Dream – Elsa, Townspeople
8. Love Is an Open Door – Anna, Hans
9. Reindeer(S) Are Better Than People – Kristoff
10. What Do You Know About Love? – Anna, Kristoff
11. In Summer – Olaf
12. Hans of the Southern Isles (reprise) – Hans, Weselton, Townspeople
13. Let It Go – Elsa

Act Two
14. Hygge – Oaken, Kristoff, Anna, Olaf, Family & Friends
15. For the First Time in Forever (reprise) – Elsa, Anna
16. Fixer Upper – Bulda, Pabbie, Olaf, Hidden Folk
17. Kristoff Lullaby – Kristoff
18. Monster – Elsa, Hans, Men
19. True Love – Anna
20. Colder by the Minute – Anna, Kristoff, Elsa, Hans, Townspeople
21. Finale/Let It Go – Company

Bonus Track
22. When Everything Falls Apart Outtake – Olaf, Kristoff, Anna

http://www.playbill.com/article/frozen-sets-release-dates-for-original-broadway-cast-recording

The show was nominated for three Tonys this morning in the categories of Best Musical, Best Book (Jennifer Lee) and Best Score (Kristin Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez.) It didn't receive any nominations in acting or technical categories.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Their release date is June 22; the Playbill link from Jake specifies June 8.

I suspect that it is June 8 and that Amazon just hasn't gotten the memo yet. June 8 is also the Friday before the Tony Awards on June 10, on which Frozen will have a performance featured because it is a Best Musical nominee. Therefore, if Disney can have the discs ready by then, it would be to their advantage to have it out then in order to benefit from increased exposure they'll get from the telecast.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It all sounds perfectly reasonable, Jake. I'm happy for a little over a month or a month a half from now. I was caught more off guard by a new price drop; I check all my preorders every few days and update my calendar for them. I'm very happy with this price point.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just got a deal for Hunchback at the 5th Avenue Theater...$30 tickets. I snagged one for me. $30 theater tickets...you can't go wrong with that price. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good job getting that deal, Jason. Enjoy, and please report back what you think of the show. There was a local production here ($20 tickets) from a smaller theatre group in the area, and I didn't really know what to expect from them because it was nonprofessional, but it ended up being rather good, although they had a cast culled from wildly different ability levels from trained opera singers to high school kids, and that showed. But overall it was remarkable how much the production worked much more than it didn't. I suspect the 5th Avenue production is likely to be even better.

Also, Amazon did update the release date for the Frozen cast album physical CD to June 8 like I suspected. The MP3 version is out now for anyone who wants to do that.

I won't, because I don't want to pay twice for the same thing and definitely want the physical version, but I wish the CD were eligible for Amazon's AutoRip feature, because if it were, that would allow me to take the MP3s now and pay when the CD ships. But so far, no dice on that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The 5th Ave should be the biggest and best production...I've been there about a dozen times and it's always been a great experience. I got in there to see Aladdin a few years ago while it was in previews.

I saw Frozen got an updated release date while I was in WDW last week. I cancelled my order for a few reasons, including the digital release. I already have a copy, but, long story short, my iTunes computer went belly up and I need to reimport EVERYTHING into a new computer. It's a slow process and won't be updating my phone with new music any time soon...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney put the entire Frozen cast album on YouTube already. It's from the official verified DisneyMusicVEVO account, too, so it's not even an unofficial rip. Here's the first track, and the rest are easy to find on the page.

Gotta say, I was really looking forward to this album and it's okay, but I'm surprised that I don't love it. None of the new songs written for the show are particularly memorable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks