1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Cinematographer

Jake Lipson
    Amazon has begun accepting pre-orders for the Beauty and the Beast Legacy set again, with a release date of tomorrow. However, they're still holding to the list price. I really want it, but would like it to come down a bit first.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    For Mike, Jason or anybody else who already has the new Beauty and the Beast set: is the "Prologue" track instrumental, or does it include the narration like previous releases? I think it would be nice to have it instrumentally. Thanks.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Narration, Jake.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    Thanks, Mike. I think that's a shame, but not surprising.

I just feel like on a release which is spotlighting the score, it would have been appropriate to do so with the prologue as well. It's not like we don't all have the narrated track already on previous versions, so letting the terrific instrumental stand out would have been a nice way to further distinguish this release from past ones. Oh well.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Apparently the narration is burned into the digital mixdown.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    On The Lion King Legacy edition, they muted some dialogue in the middle of Hakuna Matata that remains intact on the previous soundtrack edition, so that they could let the sore be heard. I was just hoping they would do that again here. I think the instrumental prologue is on the Music Behind the Magic set. Oh well.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It is, Jake.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    Amazon just dropped the price of Beauty and the Beast to $14.34, which is good enough for me. Arriving Monday.

Mike Frezon likes this.
  9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    It came. I love it.

But....

I think I found an error in the liner notes.

Menken is talking about how Howard Ashman told him at the Oscars that they needed to have a serious talk at their next work session, right after they won three Oscars between them (in 1990, for The Little Mermaid.) But he refers to it as when "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" was a Best Song nominee, which was from Little Shop of Horrors. Mean Green Mother was nominated in 1987, but did not win. So, he's clearly talking about the 1990 Oscars, when Under the Sea was nominated, but he says "Mean Green Mother" instead.

Also, the original early version of "Death of the Beast" (which is a bonus track on the 2001 Special Edition release of the soundtrack) does not appear to be included this time, which means if you're a completest, you'd have to keep that one. I usually give away the old soundtracks after a Legacy Collection version arrives, since I'd never use the abridged versions again, but not in this case.

Also: it's nice to have "The Mob Song" appear after the title song for once instead of before. That's always bugged me with previous editions.

11. 471 Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    I just tweeted to Alan Menken to thank him for this release, and to ask if Aladdin, Hunchback and Hercules are forthcoming. I kind of doubt he will respond, but I've gotten lucky in the past with other public figures, so you never know.

KPmusmag likes this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson
    As of right this minute, Amazon says on the Beauty and the Beast Legacy Collection listing: "Only 4 left in stock (more on the way.)" It is currently #126 in their entire CD & Vinyl store, and I've seen it in the top 100 a couple of times since they dropped the price to $14.34.

I'm sure they're not going to be out of stock for too long, if at all, but this should be taken as good news that the album is selling well. Hopefully this encourages Disney to do Aladdin, Hunchback and Hercules sooner rather than later so as to finish complete releases for Menken's '90s musical parade. Mulan and Tarzan would be highly welcome, as well.

13. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Enjoying the B&B disc very much - the score is wonderful. Worthwhile purchase, after many other purchases of this title. ;)

Neil S. Bulk likes this.