What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did the two sets of parents walk-in to Minnie's Yoohoo and the Mickey Mouse Club March??
confused-smiley-004.gif

:D

[That WOULD be kind of cool!]

I knew I had told you about the father/daughter dance music, Josh...I was just surprised that I couldn't get a hit when I searched in this thread... Don't know how I wouldn't have mentioned it before.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe you had...the HTF search function works in mysterious ways :)

(Used the Buddy Holly song for both parents and best man/maid of honor - everyone felt super cool walking to Buddy Holly, which is the correct feeling for that circumstance!)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New topic -- and I mentioned this in the Roundup thread, but thought it was worth putting here too -- the soundtrack for MOANA is released on Friday, the 18th.

This is of course Disney's big new animated release for Thanksgiving, and it is a musical with songs by Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) and directed by Ron Clements and John Musker (whose previous directing credits include The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog.) So, naturally, I'm just getting the soundtrack right away, meaning I'm not going to wait for the movie to decide if I want it or not.

I'm not actually planning to listen to it until after seeing the film the following week -- but I'm so sure that I'm going to want it that I just put in the Amazon pre-order and will have it delivered on release date.

I thought it was worth bringing up here especially because, as they did with Frozen a few years ago, Disney is releasing two separate versions of the soundtrack -- one of which contains an additional dic of demo recordings, alternate cues and karaoke tracks in addition to the standard single-disc soundtrack. Those who don't want all the demos and such can get just the single-disc with the songs and score, but at least on Amazon the price difference is extremely nominal ($14.19 for the 2-disc vs. $12.62 for the single-disc last I checked), so of course I am going with the bigger set. Be careful what you get though, since it appears that the artwork for both is the same, so especially if you pick it up in the store, make sure you're getting the one you want. What are you all going to do?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
We're there any comments on this thread about Nicholas Pike's The Prince and the Pauper? I was always disappointed that there was never a CDS release to its music?

James

Are there any Nicholas Pike's the Prince and the Pauper fans out there?

James

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike! I'll be going for the 2 disc set...maybe before Friday.

Moana 2 Disc just arrived in my hot little hands. Thank you for the info, Mike!

:laugh: Dude. I'd love to say, "you're welcome" but it was all Jake with the info about the Moana disc.

I WILL be curious, though, to hear what you guys say about the soundtrack. :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got the Moana double set in the mail today as well, but have deliberately asked someone taller than me to place it out of my reach until after I see the film next week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got the Moana double set in the mail today as well, but have deliberately asked someone taller than me to place it out of my reach until after I see the film next week.

I like someone who knows their limitations! :laugh:

By the way, I ran into these bad boys this weekend at my Barnes and Noble:

full

I'm not rushing to purchase, however. I'm being cautious about this film. I'm not digging the pre-release vibe, I guess.

That's why I'll be anxious to hear thoughts about the OST when you guys get it down from off those tall shelves! :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has reduced the prices to $12.xx for the 2-disc set and only $7.xx for the single-disc.

Unfortunately per their new polices they will not offer refunds to those of us who pre-ordered (it USED to be that if you asked customer service for a refund within a week of the purchase, they would give you the difference on a gift card, but they won't do that anymore.)

I will post here again when I've seen the film and opened the CD. I love Lin-Manuel Miranda's other work, though; Hamilton is one of the best things I've ever heard, and In the Heights is great too. That Lin has come to Disney (and from the sound of it will have a long and continuing relationship with them on several projects) unites two of my favorite things in the world. So for me it was a no-brainer to just purchase it.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah well...I'm not a fan of Hamilton either...

I know, I know...I'm the only person in the US who doesn't like Hamilton. :rolleyes:

And I've got this issue where this hasn't been much produced by Disney Animation in the last couple of decades I've liked all that much--since 1999's Tarzan. Pretty much the sole exception to that is Frozen.

:D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, Mike, at the risk of turning this political, Donald Trump doesn't seem to like Hamilton either. ;)So, you're not the only one by any means. I get that it's not for everyone, and I completely understand why some people would not like it even though I disagree with those people. However, it certainly is a work of major significance, and Disney is lucky to have someone as talented as Miranda in the fold.

In all seriousness, I totally get your decision to wait until after you've seen the film to decide on getting the Moana CD. That is also normally how I operate. But in the case of Disney musicals, given my history with them, it just seems so obvious that I'll like it that I didn't see the point in not pre-ordering it. I want it here at home to start playing as soon as I get back from the movie theater. I get that that's a risk, in that I suppose it is theoretically possible that I won't like it, in which case I will have bought the CD for no reason....but the chance of that is so minuscule that I'm willing to take it.

I also did the same thing with the Frozen soundtrack in 2013 and did not regret that purchase at all.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Agreed Jake. I have almost all the animated movies soundtracks loaded on my iPod, including movies I don't like (Home on the Range). So this was a no brainer. At worst, it's "there." At best, it'll take me to my happy place.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not "Disney," per se, but certainly tangentially related via Alan Menken: Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight Records (which recorded the cast albums for The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Newsies) is holding a Black Friday weekend sale in which many of their older CDs are marked down to $5. This includes the Broadway CD of Leap of Faith, which has music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Glenn Slater (who did lyrics for Home on the Range and Tangled with him.) More on that here: http://sh-k-boom.com/leapoffaith.html. Free shipping if you buy 3 or more of the $5 CDs, or if you combine one of the $5 CDs with a regular-priced item. They are also taking regular-priced pre-orders for Alan Menken's newest score, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, here: http://sh-k-boom.com/apprenticeship-of-duddy-kravitz-original-cast-recording. Duddy Kravitz would ship free on its own, and you could get Leap of Faith to ship free too by ordering them together. Menken also wrote the music for the musical version of Sister Act, which is available from Sh-K-Boom as well and something I recommend highly, but it is not part of the $5 sale.

Non-Disney musical theatre fans might want to browse around too...they've got a lot of good CDs marked down as part of the sale, albeit not a lot related to Disney or this thread.

On a more Disney note, I saw Moana earlier this week and thought that (outside from a few pee jokes which felt beneath Clements and Musker), it was pretty terrific. I'm not in the slightest disappointed with my CD purchase and have been playing it a lot in the last few days.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw Moana earlier this week and thought that (outside from a few pee jokes which felt beneath Clements and Musker), it was pretty terrific. I'm not in the slightest disappointed with my CD purchase and have been playing it a lot in the last few days.

How would you describe the film, Jake? Would you compare it to any other Disney film? Is it a "boy meet girl" sort of story?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No, there is no romance in the film anywhere. That being said, Clements and Musker's stamp is all over it; despite being CG, it feels more like one of the '90s musicals than anything Disney has done this decade. They've really made a seamless transition to directing in CG and maintaining their voice. Fun, quirky characters, gorgeous animation, and a more focused narrative than Princess and the Frog (which I liked, but which got bogged down with a lot of side characters.) This one is much more goal-oriented, in that there's not much in it that doesn't relate directly to the central character's driving quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks