All these 32" tvs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robertson, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Ya'll are expensive people to talk to!
    So I'm in the market now for a 32" tv and all the ones I hear mentioned around here seem to cost upwards of $1000. Are there any in the sub-1k range that are worth looking at? I'd really like one with a 16:9 mode, if that's even possible.
    On another note, what websites should I be looking at for decent prices?
    Yeah, I'm out of the loop as far as current hardware goes. I hate to ask such a newbie-esque question, but it's been about a year since I've wandered over to the hardware forums and it's a bit overwhelming.
    Greg

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The 32" Sony WEGA KV-32FS17 is $1099 at Best Buy. It has a 16:9 mode.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    KV-32FS13 will be even less than that, with a slightly different enclosure, a little less speaker wattage, and also has the squeeze feature. I'd go with the 17 though, if you can swing it.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 28, 2001 at 02:14 PM]

4. SonN

SonN Auditioning

www.pricescan.com
    That will find you some low prices for online places. Also look into that sears price match post.
    -Son N.

5. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

I would also add the new Philips 32" Flat Screen - 32PT81S. It has a 16:9 mode, component inputs, a/v outputs, solid picture. I just bought one over at Best Buy for $999. If you go to Pricescan.com, you can find places online that have it for under $900.

6. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

Couldn't be happier with my new 32FV27, it does the 16:9 squeeze automatically and the geometry is perfect, I also have not noticed any brightness issues. It retails for about 1,299. Also comes with wireless headphones.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Greg, it really depends on what other features you're looking for. You'll be hard pressed to find a flat tube 32 inch tv that does the 16x9 vertical compression trick (from the user menu, not the service level menu adjustments) for well under $1K. Your best bets are the lower end Sony Wegas (FS13, FS17, etc.) that have a manual squeeze feature and there is the Philips set that was mentioned. If you drop the 16x9 squeeze and flat tube requirements, then there are few more models that come in well under $1000 such as the Toshiba A series and the JVC D series.
    good luck,
    --tom

8. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

James Eftekari: Wouldn't the MSRP on that KV-32FV27 be a bit higher? My KV-32FV26 MSRP'd at $1,600--and I got mine about five months ago for $1,400.
    Also, do you think we made a good choice, spending so much on NTSC-based direct-view sets? Reason I ask: I'm already seeing Toshiba 40H80s discounted down to $1,600. I bought my WEGA strictly as a transitional set to serve as my main display for about a year. Even though I love its performance, I'm wondering if I should've held out a few months and taken the plunge into ATSC. There is already an HD-capable Samsung 32-inch direct-view set with an MSRP of $1,600--same as last year's Sony FV26! (And some close friends of mine have already upgraded to a Tosh 56H80--and I'm feeling inferior!)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I'd really like a Sony 32FV27. Maybe I'll just have to 're-evaluate' my budget a little. [​IMG] Of course then I'm thinking for only about 500 or so more there's that toshiba 40 inch... This forum is dangerous I tell ya!
    Greg

11. Dennis P

Dennis P Auditioning

James Eftekari:
    "... I'm wondering if I should've held out a few months and taken the plunge into ATSC. There is already an HD-capable Samsung 32-inch direct-view set with an MSRP of $1,600--same as last year's Sony FV26! (And some close friends of mine have already upgraded to a Tosh 56H80--and I'm feeling inferior!)"
    Sorry, but what is ATSC? What's the model number of the Samsung 32" direct-view you mentioned? I'm looking to buy a 32" HD-capable flat tube, and would liketo spend around $1300. It has to have user-selectable 16:9 squeeze (which I beleive they call "veritcal compression".... which I've concluded is what they add to 4:3 tvs that allows them to call them "HDTV" since the HDTV spec calls for 16:9 displayed at a minimum of 800 lines even letterboxed on 4:3 sets... but I digress.)

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

ATSC is the standard on which Digital/HDTV is based in the US
    Jeff Kleist