What's new

All The President's Men: Feb 21 See Post #34 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
From USA TODAY :

Warner Bros. will release the 2 disc SE of All The President's Men Feb. 21 (day after presidents day) it will include Robert Redford's first-ever commentary as well as a new featurette about informant Mark Felt, whose identity as watergate source "Deep Throat" was only recently revealed.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Great News:emoji_thumbsup: Warner Bros. indicated this was on the way during the March '05 HTF chat. Let's hope that Dog Day Afternoon:SE and Network:SE (also indicated to be in the works at the time of the chat) are not far behind.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
About DAMN time! :emoji_thumbsup:

I've been waiting for this release since the dawn of the format. I assume this will be a 30th Anniversary Edition...no tribute to Pakula?

Either way, excellent news!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of glad that it's been procrastinated so long that we can have a bit of information on Deep Throat in this release.

I was thinking about how well Good Night and Good Luck compares to it by using the power of it's message and the implied significance to drive the picture as opposed to bombastic music or grandstanding spectacle.

Excellent movie and glad to hear we'll finally have it.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Already sold my old copy. Such a great film, glad to see it's getting a (sorely needed) new transfer.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Great! Haven't seen this film as I am waiting for this SE to view it properly. Now where's Cool Hand Luke SE?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I sold my old one a while back anticipating this new release. Thanks Warner!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
What's nice is that when Warner re-issues a title (with very rare exception) it's distinctively improved....such as this...

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN is one of the great films of all time. Can NETWORK be far away?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
How come I can't find this info anywhere online? Can we get a link to the story? I'm googling like a madman, searching USA TODAY all over the place, but coming up with nothing.

A link? My kingdom for a link.

MC

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Redford has recorded his first DVD audio commentary, which will be on the first special edition of All the President's Men. It will be released Feb. 21 by Warner Home Video.

Redford and co-star Dustin Hoffman, as well as the reporters they portrayed, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, all participated in the bonus features on the two-disc set, being released in the 30th anniversary year of the film's initial theatrical release and timed to President's Day.

The previous DVD edition of the 2-hour and 18-minute movie was one of the first titles issued on the then-new DVD format in 1997 and therefore did not have tremendous sales as few people had DVD players.

Based on the book of the same name by Woodward and Bernstein, President's dramatizes the Washington Post's investigation and reporting of the Watergate scandal that resulted in the unprecedented resignation of President Nixon.

The DVD scored a spike in interest last year when the identity of Woodward's primary source for the story, the man he called Deep Throat, was revealed as Mark Felt.

One of three new documentaries and featurettes on the second disc profiles Felt.

Although neither Felt, who does not remember Watergate, nor Hal Holbrook, who played Deep Throat in the movie, were available for interviews for the DVD, Holbrook does provide narration for the new mini-docs.

The producer of the special edition, Gary Leva, said Redford, who also created and starred in the politically charged The Candidate, chose this movie for his first audio commentary because he and his production company were responsible for getting the film made.

In the commentary, which Redford does alone, he describes meeting with Woodward and Bernstein as they were writing the book. At the time, the reporters were writing the book in third person from the perspective of the Nixon White House. Woodward and others confirm in interviews that it was Redford who persuaded he and Bernstein to write the book in first person from the perspective of young reporters.

George Feltenstein, senior VP theatrical catalog marketing at WHV, said the studio was already beginning work on the special edition when Felt's family revealed that he was Deep Throat. The timing of the news allowed them to also discuss his identity in interviews for the special edition.

Feltenstein said the timing of the release might also work well for those who feel that issues in today's politics and journalism resemble those during the Nixon administration.

Warner has remastered the movie, which Feltenstein said looks a little muddy and grainy on the older disc.

In addition to the three new programs on the disc--"Telling the Truth About Lies: The Making of All the President's Men," "Out of the Shadows: The Man Who Was Deep Throat" and "Woodward and Bernstein: Lighting the Fire"--the special edition also includes a vintage featurette, "Pressure and the Press: The Making of All the President's Men," and an interview with Jason Robards (who played Post editor Ben Bradlee) on the TV show Dinah!, hosted by Dinah Shore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks