What's new

All the negative vibers re: Apple (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Tim Cook is AWESOME at supply chain.
Ironically, that is where he has had the most trouble lately: AirPods seem like a roaring success, but the supply doesn't seem to have budged forward in over 3 months: still a 6 week wait on orders, not available in any Apple Store. Not as bad, but also surprisingly low production of AppleWatch 2 - there have been shortages for months.

Of course, nothing compared to the opposition: Google's Pixel phones are a joke - it simply impossible to buy them

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The good thing about the "opposition", there are SO many great phones out there now to choose from, you aren't stuck with just a " 32gb Pixel " as your choice of phone.

So many options, so many choices, much more flexibility. Not stuck in a tiny box like you are if all you want is Apple items.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sucks that this is still a battle most iphone users have to fight.

My daughter was one of the ones dealing with lack of storage and it drove her crazy.

Glad I can just plug in a 64GB+ sd card for a few extra bucks and have plenty of storage options. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/03/22/iphone-storage-space-full-how-to-fix-tips/99167568/
To me the making sure I got a 256GB iPhone has been an excellent solution... even that is not enough for my iPad, but I have to start removing videos I'm never watching...

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Good to have extra storage, but you (iphones) pay a much higher premium to gain that storage for sure.
Not to mention the premium they charge you just to use their "Cloud" service.

Last edited:

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Good to have extra storage, but you (iphones) pay a much higher premium to gain that storage for sure.
Not to mention the premium they charge you just to use their "Cloud" service.

Pixel XL 32: $769
iPhone Plus 32: $769

Pixel XL 128: $869
iPhone Plus 128: $869

Google Drive:
15 GB Free
100 GB-1.99 per month
1TB-9.99 per month

iCloud Storage
5GB Free
50GB-$0.99
200GB-$2.99
1TB-$9.99

Other than Google Drive offering 15GB on the free tier, I am not seeing a "much higher premium" here. I only compared the iPhone to the Pixel phones because they are the only Android phones that will see anywhere near the iPhone's OS update reliability. I don't think there is any question that iPhone users have better support experiences and better warranty replacement experiences than Pixel phones and certainly better than any other Android phone.

That isn't to say there aren't reasons to pick Android over iOS. My current phone is a Nexus 6 for example. However, I think for most people lack of an SD card and storage prices aren't really a factor.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wish storage expansion was readily available with cheap SD cards. But the last time I paid attention to this issue, a couple years ago, it was evident that manufacturers struggled to produce a robust, customer-friendly solution.

Microsoft built this in to their phones. And added specific requirements to what cards could be used. And then abandoned it in later revisions. What I'd read was they couldn't get the storage expansion working in a flawless-enough manner.

Google had this in their phones. And there were various usage limitations on how they could be used and what was stored on them. And they didn't trivially expand core storage, but acted like a secondary drive to be managed by the user -- not what people really want. And then they abandoned storage expandability as well.

I'm not current. But my last perspective was that mass-market customers and manufacturers don't care or want storage expansion in actuality.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Pixel XL 32: $769
iPhone Plus 32: $769

Pixel XL 128: $869
iPhone Plus 128: $869

Google Drive:
15 GB Free
100 GB-1.99 per month
1TB-9.99 per month

iCloud Storage
5GB Free
50GB-$0.99
200GB-$2.99
1TB-$9.99

Other than Google Drive offering 15GB on the free tier, I am not seeing a "much higher premium" here. I only compared the iPhone to the Pixel phones because they are the only Android phones that will see anywhere near the iPhone's OS update reliability. I don't think there is any question that iPhone users have better support experiences and better warranty replacement experiences than Pixel phones and certainly better than any other Android phone.

That isn't to say there aren't reasons to pick Android over iOS. My current phone is a Nexus 6 for example. However, I think for most people lack of an SD card and storage prices aren't really a factor.

-Keith

I'm very happy with the robust 2 year warranty I got with my Axon 7.

https://www.zteusa.com/passport/

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I'm very happy with the robust 2 year warranty I got with my Axon 7.

https://www.zteusa.com/passport/

2 years is great and the description of their warranty also sounds very good. Do they provide monthly security updates like Google offers for Nexus/Pixel phones? I recently saw that Samsung says they will start providing monthly security updates for unlocked US smartphones. Hopefully other Android OEMs will follow suit.

Have you had to exchange it for a problem yet or just call support to get a problem resolved? If so, how did that go?

To clarify, I was not speaking of the length of the warranty. I was referring to the experience of a user that actually has to call support/visit a store to get support or warranty service. While they are far from perfect, available information suggests Apple is clearly the best in this regard. Of course, for the prices they charge, they should be the best.

-Keith

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We've had a few software updates with security patches since I got mine a few months back. Just upgraded to Nougat 7.1.1 this month.

I have had no need to use warranty since I generally take good care not to drop/abuse my phones and my phone has been working fine.

Sadly I can't say that about my daughters iphone 6 and ipad. Both died early deaths.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Tim Apple = good. Will be hard to replace him. I’d have picked Angela but she’s gone now. Hard to see who fits the role. Federigi would be my choice as a geek but don’t know that he fits the global reach of Apple.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't tried any DIY nor 3rd party iPhone/iPad repairs myself (and probably never will... even though I do some DIY for many other things, including laptops, TVs in the past, even violins/violas, etc), but this is pretty lame of Apple...

Guess my mother better not drop her new iPhone 13. She (and my younger kids) seems to be the only one in our (extended) family who breaks mobile devices... and did try getting an old iPad Mini repaired by 3rd party a long while back (that did not last)... Her old iPhone 7 Plus also had some screen edge cracks for the longest time that prevented us from getting the battery replaced by Apple (since that can't be done w/out also replacing the screen, which is not really worth replacing on an old phone that otherwise works fine)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Got a new iPhone? Don't break it! Because if you don't have AppleCare, it's going to cost you.
One more absolute lie. I broke the screen on my iPad Pro (11”, next to last generation), no AppleCare. Took it to the local Genius Bar, was told — no problem — you can still sign up to AppleCare, and no, you don’t have to even get the full thing— you can just sign up for single month of AppleCare (like $6), bring back your iPadPro tomorrow and we’ll fix the screen.

That or we can just keep listening to the latest fake ”Apple just wants more profits” stories. Either the reporters are incompetent or they are knowingly lying

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One more absolute lie. I broke the screen on my iPad Pro (11”, next to last generation), no AppleCare. Took it to the local Genius Bar, was told — no problem — you can still sign up to AppleCare, and no, you don’t have to even get the full thing— you can just sign up for single month of AppleCare (like $6), bring back your iPadPro tomorrow and we’ll fix the screen.

That or we can just keep listening to the latest fake ”Apple just wants more profits” stories. Either the reporters are incompetent or they are knowingly lying

I would think what you did is technically not allowed, but in practice, some/many Genius Bar reps might suggest that... and I guess there's no way Apple knows otherwise (for certain anyway... at this point).

Also, AFAIK, you can't add AppleCare anymore after the device warranty expires (after 1 year)... which I suppose isn't a problem if you upgrade asap every year...

... so they're not lying at all, but just not offering info about (very) gray practices that may or may not be commonly accepted...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread