What's new

All the Money in the World (2017) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well: FX just released a short trailer for their Getty kidnapping miniseries, Trust, which is directed by Danny Boyle and written by Simon Beaufoy and expected to premiere in January. This one has Donald Sutherland as Getty.

I bet this is one of the reasons Sony and Ridley Scott were so insistent about sticking to the December 22 release date instead of pushing the movie into 2018 to give the reshoots more time. They want to be first out of the gate vs. the TV show on the same subject. Gotta admit that both have impressive talent involved.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That was fast.

Sony has already released both a short TV spot and a new full-length trailer featuring Christopher Plummer, even though his reshoots are still ongoing.

and

And Ridley Scott has discussed the reshoots with Entertainment Weekly, including insight on how this came together so quickly and how he intends to finish the film on time. It's an interesting read. http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/29/ridley-scott-kevin-spacey-all-the-money-in-the-world-exclusive/.

I think the film looks great and will see it for sure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's funny to me that the studio was so insistent on having Spacey that they did a makeup job within an inch of his life when it would have just been easier to go with Plummer in the first place. (Scott said that Plummer was his first choice for the role but the studio wanted Spacey in order to have a bigger name.)

Look how that worked out.

Also, since when is Christopher Plummer not a big name?

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Kevin Spacey a "bigger name" than Christopher Plummer? I'd say that's wholly a matter of opinion, and not one that I share.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh, I agree, Doug -- I just remember it being reported a couple of weeks ago that the studio wanted Spacey for his name value, whereas Scott wanted Plummer from the get-go.

Again, it sure worked out for them. :laugh:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
And both Spacey and Plummer have Academy Awards attached to their names, a fact which is always exploited during the publicity campaign. Furthermore, Plummer's AA is of more recent vintage!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, but Spacey's Academy Award (American Beauty) role was more widely-seen of the two (vs. Beginners.)

Of course, The Sound of Music is almost surely more widely seen than anything Kevin Spacey has ever appeared in, although Plummer did not win for it, but still.

The other thing of course is that -- at the time of his casting -- Spacey was the acclaimed lead actor of a hot Netflix drama. It's easy to see why the studio would want to be in business with him (prior to the news of the allegations, of course ) He is, after all, a remarkable talent, and remains so. His problem now is that it appears he cannot use his talent without creating a harmful environment for others, so that cannot be tolerated. But his talent remains, even though he won't be able to use it anymore.

That being said, Plummer is also a remarkable talent and well-known and well-respected, so I'm surprised the studio didn't just let Scott have his first choice to begin with, especially as making up Spacey is probably more work/money than just going with Plummer.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've been a Ridley Scott fan since 1979. A few of his movies are misfires (including the last two Alien movies imho) but most of his work I think is somewhere between good and excellent. In fact, to waste time, here are my ratings on RS's films....Where available, these are my ratings for the director's cut. This is esp. true for Kingdom of Heaven, which is excellent in the DC, but only so-so in the theatrical release. My guess is that All The Money in the World will be one of his good films. But we'll soon see.

The Duellists: B
Alien: A+
Blade Runner: A-
Legend: C-
Someone To Watch Over Me: still haven't seen this one
Black Rain: B
Thelma and Louise: A-
1492: B-
White Squall: B+
G.I. Jane: B
Gladiator: A-
Hannibal: haven't seen it
Black Hawk Down: B+
Matchstick Men: C-
Kingdom of Heaven: A
A Good Year: haven't seen it
American Gangster: B-
Body of Lies: B
Robin Hood: B+ (I seem to be the only one who really likes this movie)
Prometheus: C+
The Counselor: B+
Exodus: Gods and Kings: B+ (I'm also really weird, apparently, for liking this one)
The Martian: A
Alien Covenant: C-

Anyone else care to share their ratings of all the Ridley Scott films they've seen?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not great at actually assigning ratings but of the ones I've seen:

Alien - a classic. Never liked it as much as everyone else but still like it and recognize the skill at play.

Blade Runner - another classic that I'm a little mixed on. I think it's pretty good, maybe great - but it's not a masterpiece to me

Gladiator - I had a lot of fun with this when it came out. It's not as good as classic stuff like Spartacus but I think Russell Crowe is great in it and I enjoy the movie as a whole (but it's not one I revisit frequently these days)

Hannibal - it's kinda terrible as a Silence Of The Lambs sequel but kinda awesome as an experiment in batshit crazy. The combination of photography, editing and scoring is frequently breathtaking. Even though the climax is profoundly stupid as a drama, it's profoundly beautiful to watch.

Matchstick Men - I liked the style of the movie far more than the story and substance

American Gangster - Felt overlong when I saw it. Didn't leave much of an impression.

Robin Hood - Also didn't leave much of an impression. Enjoyed watching it but have no memory of it.

Prometheus - unashamedly loved it. I don't know if I can say it's objectively better than the original Alien, but I enjoy it more

The Counselor - saw it once and thought it was crazy but oddly inert.

Exodus: Gods And Kings - disappointing. It feels like there might be a four hour version on the cutting room floor that's good, but this felt rushed and was oddly uninvolving

The Martian - loved it. My favorite of the Best Picture nominees from 2015. It's really refreshing to see a sci-fi film that feels more like science eventuality than fiction. I love that there's no bad guy; people have conflicts and differing opinions on how to achieve the objectives but no one is bad for the sake of being bad.

Alien: Covenant - i enjoyed it but also felt let down. It's like I wanted to see the movie that would have come after Prometheus and before this. But Fassbender is great again and makes it work.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to be that guy but I'm not a big fan of Ridley Scott. He creates beautiful looking images but nearly all of his movies range from OK-but-overrated to bad in my opinion. I love Alien and The Martian, Blade Runner is a wonderful movie and I like (but not love) Prometheus and Alien: Covenant. I do think that All The Money looks pretty darn good though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't do horror, so I haven't seen the Alien films, and a lot of his less recent things I haven't seen, but I've liked The Martian, American Gangster and Blade Runner when I saw them once each. I don't own any of them. I would agree that All the Money in the World looks good and I am looking forward to seeing it in less than a month. It will be a major accomplishment for him to have finished it so quickly.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
The Duellists: haven't seen
Alien: B (it was groundbreaking, but doesn't hold up as well as people say)
Blade Runner: A+, timeless classic
Legend: C-, agree
Someone To Watch Over Me: haven't seen
Black Rain: B, at the most, decent meat&potatoes
Thelma and Louise: A-, almost A+
1492: B-, I'd give it a B
White Squall: haven't seen
G.I. Jane: haven't seen
Gladiator: A-
Hannibal: haven't seen it
Black Hawk Down: haven't seen it, but will
Matchstick Men: haven't seen
Kingdom of Heaven: haven't seen
A Good Year: haven't seen it
American Gangster: B-, I'd give it an A, or A-
Body of Lies: B
Robin Hood: B+ (I seem to be the only one who really likes this movie), no me too
Prometheus: C+, D, at the most
The Counselor: B+, I'd say B-, or C
Exodus: Gods and Kings: haven't seen
The Martian: C-, am I the only one who though this was like a documentary on one of those free channels?
Alien Covenant: C-, I say B, maybe B-

Extremely uneven director, in quality, quantity and subject.
At his best, noone comes close, but at his worst, oh well ...

But Blade Runner makes it all up, one of the greatest movies in history.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kind of interesting to me that Plummer is getting Oscar and GG buzz

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just retried the trailer posted in the beginning and it is removed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know Scott is a fan of releasing different versions of his films and I would, as an interesting experiment in compare and contrast, like to see a blu-ray version that had the Spacey cut included...not at all to "support Spacey" or his behavior but because it was shot and it would be interesting to see the differences in how the two actors approached the part. I am not going to stop watching all films with Spacey in them...I like many films he is in...and his performance in the film has nothing to do with what he did in his personal life.

I do think that the way Scott handled all this was superb and I think removing Spacey for the theatrical release was likely better for the film. Still, historically it would be very interesting to have both versions for home viewing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw a cardboard standee for this movie yesterday and it had Christopher Plummer's name printed on it. I figured that, other than posters, they'd just send out a sticker to put over Spacey's name on all the other promotional items. To get all that stuff printed up again and to do it that quickly must have added a fortune to the promotion of the movie.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Costco had the book with Plumber's face on the dustjacket

All-the-Money-in-the-World-poster.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks