What's new

All the Money in the World (2017) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Twist: apparently even though the film is complete, and was expected to screen at AFI Fest next week prior to the Kevin Spacey scandal, he won't be in it anymore. The Wrap is reporting that Spacey's entire role is being reshot with Christopher Plummer prior to the movie's planned December 22 wide release date, which it will keep.

This seems unprecedented to me. Yes, they can probably do it (I read elsewhere that Spacey only worked 10 days on the film), but to cut an actor completely out of a film that has already been all the way through post-production and everything is extreme no matter how you look at it.

I understand why Sony would make this choice, but it's going to cost a lot of money and be very last-minute. It's also not clear whether the cast (who would certainly not have expected to be needed for reshoots on this film this late in the process and may be committed to other projects) will be brought back to work opposite Plummer, or whether he will be edited in with green-screen and CGI. Scott is experienced enough with effects-laden blockbusters that he could probably use green screen even though this really doesn't appear to be that type of film.

Also, Spacey is featured prominently in the trailers, so this might be the first incidence ever (at least that I know of) where an actor is replacing another actor who had already been seen in publicly-released marketing footage.

https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-spacey-cut-completed-money-world-christopher-plummer-replace/

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, Spacey is featured prominently in the trailers...
I saw the trailer in a theater last weekend and when the "and Kevin Spacey" card and then footage of him came onscreen, every person in my field of vision started whispering to whoever they were with. I can guess what they were talking about. Whatever the cost, it's worth it to replace him. The movie could be great and the only thing that anyone would talk about is Spacey.

Kevin Spacey's life, career and legacy are ruined.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And prior to the scandal, Spacey was being touted as a strong potential supporting actor Oscar nominee.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's more details from Deadline, which says that Mark Whalberg and Michelle Williams are cooperating with the reshoots, so they must be making themselves available: http://deadline.com/2017/11/kevin-s...plummer-ridley-scott-j-paul-getty-1202204437/.

I'm less surprised by the move to replace him than I am by the fact that they intend on keeping the December 22 release date. This would make more sense if they gave themselves more time and pushed the film into 2018. As is, they're really going to be racing against the clock on this one.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Smartest and best decision coming from Sony this year. Now, it's sure to be an Oscar contender.

And this is not the first time a movie has done this. When Viva Villa! was being made in 1934, Lee Tracy was supposed to be playing as Johnny Sykes. But he was caught urinating on Mexican military during filming in such country. He was immediately replaced with Stuart Erwin.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I knew this had to happen when I felt revulsion while watching this trailer in front of LBJ today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
He was immediately replaced with Stuart Erwin.

But was that movie fully completed and only days away from having had its first public screening when they made that change? We've all heard of stars being replaced mid-production for one reason or other (probably most famously, Eric Soltz as Marty McFly in Back to the Future being let go and replaced with Michael J. Fox.) However, this is the first time I've ever hear of a change being made once the film has completely wrapped production and a cut exists that was to be the final one, before this change was made.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
But was that movie fully completed and only days away from having had its first public screening when they made that change? We've all heard of stars being replaced mid-production for one reason or other (probably most famously, Eric Soltz as Marty McFly in Back to the Future being let go and replaced with Michael J. Fox.) However, this is the first time I've ever hear of a change being made once the film has completely wrapped production and a cut exists that was to be the final one, before this change was made.

The incident happened on November 19, 1933, and the movie was filmed from September 1933 to January 1934 (plus re-shoots in February of '34).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In that case, he was replaced mid-production, not after the whole thing was already wrapped and been edited and was ready for screening. I'm not saying that you are wrong to draw a comparison between the two, just that this situation is more unique and unprecedented, and, while similar, it is not the exact same thing you described.

I'm surprised some of you have seen the trailer in a theater recently. I would have pulled it and recut it to de-emphasize Spacey the moment this scandal broke. I wonder how long it will take them to do so. Can they cut a new trailer now without Plummmer in it, or do they have to wait for some of his footage to become available to them? It will be very interesting to see how the marketing goes forward to inform people who don't hang out on internet forums and follow the trades that "Yeah, we know you previously saw that trailer with Kevin Spacey in it, but don't worry, he's not in it anymore!" To use another recent example, at least Lucasfilm hadn't yet released any Han Solo footage before Lord and Miller were fired.

Edit: The Hollywood Reporter's version of this story says that Plummer was actually Scott's first choice for the role, but the studio wanted a bigger name so went with Spacey. First of all, in what world is Christopher Plummer (a highly respected Oscar-winning actor with a long career and a lead role in at least one of the most widely-seen and beloved films of all time) not a big name? And second, I bet the Sony execs wish they had jut let Scott hire Plummer in the first place now.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Twist: apparently even though the film is complete, and was expected to screen at AFI Fest next week prior to the Kevin Spacey scandal, he won't be in it anymore. The Wrap is reporting that Spacey's entire role is being reshot with Christopher Plummer prior to the movie's planned December 22 wide release date, which it will keep.

This seems unprecedented to me. Yes, they can probably do it (I read elsewhere that Spacey only worked 10 days on the film), but to cut an actor completely out of a film that has already been all the way through post-production and everything is extreme no matter how you look at it.

I understand why Sony would make this choice, but it's going to cost a lot of money and be very last-minute. It's also not clear whether the cast (who would certainly not have expected to be needed for reshoots on this film this late in the process and may be committed to other projects) will be brought back to work opposite Plummer, or whether he will be edited in with green-screen and CGI. Scott is experienced enough with effects-laden blockbusters that he could probably use green screen even though this really doesn't appear to be that type of film.

Also, Spacey is featured prominently in the trailers, so this might be the first incidence ever (at least that I know of) where an actor is replacing another actor who had already been seen in publicly-released marketing footage.

https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-spacey-cut-completed-money-world-christopher-plummer-replace/
I have a feeling that Spacey might not be the last, though.

Reactions: PMF

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised some of you have seen the trailer in a theater recently.
I hadn't seen the trailer prior to last weekend and since Spacey doesn't really appear until late in the trailer, I thought they had already recut the trailer to basically remove him from the marketing. When he and his name popped up onscreen, I was pretty surprised. Now that they've announced that they're pulling Spacey, I think they'll have to make a new trailer that doesn't show Spacey/Plummer's character. That way, they keep the marketing campaign going but they don't show Spacey since he's box office poison and since they haven't shot or edited Plummer's footage yet.

Like Wayne, I saw it on LBJ too.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would say they removed him to prevent people from not going to see the film, obviously. They stand to lose more money with Spacey in the film than the cost to reshoot...still, this is the kind of film, adult drama, that tends not to be a huge performer at the box office anyway. I am looking forward to seeing this picture though and so I will support it by going to the theater.

In the trailers that have Spacey in them he was in heavy make-up and was barely recognizable I thought.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
And then years down the line, there will be whispers of the "Kevin Spacey cut" of this film.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
And then years down the line, there will be whispers of the "Kevin Spacey cut" of this film.
Two questions come to mind:
1. Will it take all the money in the world to get the "Kevin Spacey cut"?

2. How much will people be willing to pay for said cut? (Cue the chilling one word reply by "Jean Paul Getty" regarding paying out for his kidnapped grandson's release! ;) )

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Plummer is a better actor, too.
Saw him do "Othello" on Broadway, opposite James Earl Jones.
I'd love to see Scott's first choice strut his way to a second Oscar.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
His makeup is terrible. Who thought that was a good idea in the first place?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I have a feeling that Spacey might not be the last, though.
Now, it's Louis C.K.'s turn, with a cancelled movie premiere amidst allegations of sexual misconduct from 5 women:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...celed-in-advance-of-ny-times-story/ar-BBEMmMz

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Too much sadness, shocks and disappointments in such a short, short time.
Wish I could find a log cabin and just stare at a mountain vista for a spell.
If I find it, all HTF members are welcomed to drop on in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks