All That Heaven Allows and Ali: Fear Eats The Soul question...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Daniel P, May 9, 2004.

1. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen either film, but got the Criterion Ali set for my birthday.

I have two questions to those that have seen both Sirk's and Fassbinder's films:

Which film did you see first?, and which do you recommend others see first?

Just wondering if the impact of either film would depend on order of viewing...

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It doesn't really matter. I saw All that Heaven Allows first, but when I watched Ali I didn't even realize it was a remake until someone pointed it out later.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Paging Brook K! [​IMG]

I bought the Criterion AFETS after hearing good things about it. I wasn't disappointed in either the movie or the set. (I've warmed up to Fassbinder quite a bit since my initial exposure to him.) From what I'd heard of the Sirk film in question, I'd always assumed that it wasn't my cup of tea and didn't plan on watching it anytime soon. Now it's on my lengthy to-see list.

4. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I'd say watch ATHA first, since it was the chronologically the first one. Fassbinder's film is not really a remake of the Sirk film but is rather inspired by it. I think the experience of ALI would be enhanced by seeing the Sirk film first.

5. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

Heaven is the one that's directly connected of course and the disc features a worthwhile Fassbinder essay on Sirk as an extra. However, my favorite between the two is unquestionably Written on the Wind for it's 'Dynasty parody on LSD and speed' looniness. Which you see first I think doesn't matter much at all.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

You might want to add Todd Haynes' Far From Heaven (also inspired by All That Heaven Allows) to the mix and make it a triple bill.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I saw All That Heaven Allows in a theater back in the 50s.

Since Sirk was such an inspiration for Fassbinder, I would recommend watching All That Heaven Allows first—and perhaps a couple of other by Sirk as well.

I second Thomas’s idea of the triple feature.

8. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Triple bill sounds good to me...thanks everyone [​IMG]

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I would agree with Lew, though Haynes film is clearly inferior to Sirk and Fassbinder.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Picking a bit of a nit, Brook, I’d prefer the wording, “not as good as Sirk’s and Fassbinder’s”. I quite liked Far From Heaven, finding it one of the better films of 2002—with well deserved Oscar nominations (especially Julianne Moore and Edward Lachman) and with a fine performance by Dennis Quaid. Elmer Berstein’s score is quite good also.

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Definitely make it a triple feature, and watch Far from Heaven last. It stands quite well on its own, though some people obviously don't quite grasp its value. :p)