What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

ShaneP

Stunt Coordinator
One of the main reasons I got into Laser Discs years ago was the availability of letterboxed versions of movies. Now that I buy DVDs, it is true even more so. I'll wait until Hell freezes over before I purchase a non-OAR DVD movie on DVD. There are a few movies that I want (Happy Gilmore comes to mind) that are available only in P&S. And so I wait.

Shane

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Yaknow.. if I was some struggling supporting actor trying to make it and I got cut out of a scene because of P&S.. I'd be ticked! I would want as much screen time as I could get!

No OAR, no sale!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I threw away disc 2 of the Glory SE, the one with pan and scan version. That's how much I hate it.

P&S=Garbage Can

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yeah but we Canadians Don't like PAN & SCAN Either!

I'm pretty sure it was Artisian that decided it would release a canadian movie in P&S and in Stereo only, when in the US they released the film with a DTS track and in Widescreen.

I am talking about "The Red Violin" I'm still peeved that I have to go to the USA to purchase a CANADIAN film!

Yeah, well I'm peeved that I had to order the better version of Ginger Snaps from Canada, when Artisan released it here in Pan and Scan only, and with a 2.0 stereo track.

I guess they're on both our shit lists!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I just wonted to say that Im still fairley new with dvd Ive been collecting for close to two years and when I first got started I hated widescreen if it wasent full frame I would not buy it,but know I absolutley cannot stand to see a movie in full frame. Once I watched a couple of movies in widescreen and realized what I was missing I would not think of watching a movie in full frame.

Something I cannot stand is the fact I feel it is getting harder to find widescreen formatted films I feel like Im starting all over again,cause know insted of searching to find full frame movies I have to search to find the widescreen,and I absolutely refuse to buy full frame,in fact Ive given away several of my full frame movies to replace them with widescreen.

One last thing its probley a stuped question but what is OAR? Ive never heard or seen anything about this,all Im familar with is anamorphic widescreen.

Thanks Joe.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
The Industry needs to make both for a while. I do know some people that cannot be convinced that they are seeing only a portion of the film...don't ask why?
One day...only wide screen TV's will be sold, and the individuals who enjoy P&S will never have know the difference! :D

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
All studios (and Blockbuster) need to know that...

1) I don't buy pan and scan DVDs

2) I don't rent pan and scan DVDs

In addition to the above, I'm educating family members, friends, and co-workers regarding the advantages of OAR vs pan and scan.

John

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I don't know if it's because I live in a larger metro area, but I have no problem finding the widescreen version.

And when the day comes that I do, the shit is going to hit the fan.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I don't know if it's because I live in a larger metro area, but I have no problem finding the widescreen version.
You would if you were looking for any of the "National Lampoons Vacation" DVD's ;) And many other older titles that Warner(and other studio's) seem to think we don't need in OAR.
Also I read a thread stating that Warner is going to release "European Vacation" in it's OAR!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Sam Shore

Grip
For all the reasons previously stated, I DO NOT buy DVD's that are presented

in only Pan & Scan format; I never have, and I never will.

Personally, I find that:

-1. having half a head talking to another half a head

-2. having a head talking to the edge of my TV

-3. having the complete deletion of action and parts of a scene

is more upsetting than having horizontal 'black bars' framing the picture.

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
My 2 cent's worth:

I used to hate the 'black bars' on widescreen movies (vhs). Once I found out about 'original aspect ratio', though, it was no longer a problem. Since then, I have only purchased OAR dvd's and I do not rent or buy widescreen (non anamorphic) or non OAR.

I do want to thank the studios for the exceptional DVD's I have been able to purchase, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks