All Studios - re: two-sided covers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Artur Meinild, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I hear many complaints and comments about DVD cover art. Often a DVD cover is changed by the studio from the original poster art into something often completely different, and often disliked by "purist" like the majority on this forum.
    I know it's hard to satisfy everyone, especially with regards to artwork, and therefore I would suggest all studios to take the following into consideration:
    Make DVD keepcase covers 2-sided, where one side has the original, theatrical poster artwork and no fancy tag-lines, review bits or other distractions. The other side can have the manipulated, DVD-exclusive cover, with all the usual marketing hype. Then the ones who prefer the original, unspoiled artwork can just flip the cover.
    This practice is common among adult DVD's, where one side has a "clean" cover, while the other side is "dirty". (How I would know that? Well, a friend of mine... You know...) [​IMG]
    This isn't only usable with new movies. Other examples where 2-sided covers would be handy is Anchor Bays Evil Dead DVD's. Right now you can download an alternate cover for Evil Dead from the website.
    But they could *also* have included that cover on the flip-side of the original cover. The same with ED2, the cartoon cover could have been on the flip-side of the classical skull cover, offering buyers the choice of 2 covers.
    I can't imagine this would be much more expensive than 1-sided artwork, so why not give it a shot???
    thanx for listening, Artur

2. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

I agree 100%....or just follow Anchor Bays practice of including a 5x7 Original Theatrical Poster Replica on the inside of the case.

3. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Just use theatrical posters.

I like how Image used nothing but theatrical posters for their Chaplin films and also how Universal used poster art for their monster DVD's.

It's so much more classy.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would support this. I'd love to have the original theatrical art on the flipside of a cover.

6. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

This is a really good idea

if this idea takes off maybe warner might make the move to keepcases instead of flippers

keep those replys coming