All Studios: Forget you ever heard of letterbox transfers..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Why are ANY films released non-anamorphic!?

With widescreen television and HDTV becoming more mainstream; the average consumer is casting a more descriminating eye on video quality. It would be in your best interest to deliver the best picture possible. I emplore you to please release anamorphic material and to reconsider re-releasing previous non-anamorphic titles.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't have a widescreen TV, but hope to get one in the next couple years so I still won't knowingly buy a non-anamorphic disc. Of course, pan and scan is TOTALLY out of the question...

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

It will be very rare that I buy a non-anamorphic title. Either by accident or I want something really bad and do not want to wait for some studio to get off their, you-know-what, and give us an excellent anamorphic version. I recently bought a set of 3 DVD's, a trilogy, that was OAR but non-anamorphic. But, I really wanted these titles and they probably won't come out in anamorphic format until at least 2006.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Here's something depressing... I just spent the past few minutes thumbing through IMDB's top 100 films based on user votes. Figuring the 22 I believe to be in a natural 4:3 ratio (pre 1953), I've found out of the remaining films:

18 were non-anamorphic
    5 were only available in P&S
    and 7 haven't been released on DVD at all.

So, nearly one third of the best films aren't available to us in a quality transfer... if at all.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

What is truly perplexing is that some studios (such as MGM) are still routinely releasing non-anamorphic DVD. Why? [​IMG]

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Must be a $$$$$ issue, in that they are being cheap & saving money.

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Then it sounds like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face. Their cheapness will result in much lower sales, and less total profit. They are unwise to follow such practices.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The Studio people in charge of these decisions, in my experience, have been known to make IMHO quite illogical decisions. But I don't have the special insider contacts that so many contributors here seem to possess. I'll leave it to them to further expound.

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Besides OAR, anamorphic enhancement is what I consider a "must-have" feature. I have declined to buy many titles simply because they were non-anamorphic. There is NO reason any disc lacks this. None. Any widescreen film that is not enhanced, I will not be purchasing.

Bruce

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

That's how I feel Bruce. Except with the very rare exception, I only buy OAR Anamorphic.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Nearly every non-anamorphic widescreen disc uses an older transfer...such as most of the old MGM-Turner DVDs.

However, new DVDs need new transfers. I know MGM and Warner still use 4:3 1.66:1, so there is likely a reason they cannot use 16x9-enhancement on them.

I'd like to see them use it more often, though...