All Star Game

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_E, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

WTF?
    I thought baseball only ended in a tie in Japan!

2. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

Someone told me the game ended because the players felt they weren't being paid enough for the game after the 9th inning.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I didn't see the game but based on what I've heard it was a terrible decision to end it like that. How much effort would it have taken for some pitcher to get out there and throw a few more charity pitches over the center of the plate just to finish it off respectably for the fans?

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What bugged me was that Torre, Brenly, and BeelzeBud just retreated, having the PA announcer make an announcement and then not even bothering to give that award they'd just renamed for #9. They could have at least named co-MVPs, one for each team.

And if you're going to change the rules, why not do it in a way that allows them to finish the game? Let any pitcher who hasn't pitched two innings come back out.

Pretty crappy way to jerk the fans of Milwaukee around, not to mention everyone in North America who stayed up.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think neither manager wanted to be responsible for blowing out any of the pitchers arms (for all we know, all of the used pitchers had gone through their warm-down routine (ice on the shoulder, etc) and there wasn't enough arms to make it through an extended game with balancing "getting everyone in, and having enough pitching at the end".

I did enjoy the "Let them play" chants from the crowd, going back to the "Bad News Bears" sequel.

I don't think the fans would want to see a crappy pitching performance by a non-pitcher at the end of the game (it sort of cheapens the integrity of the game, given the PR aspects of it w/r/t getting each player some playing time).

6. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I think the tie was less offensive than Fox's omission of the Darryl Kile and Jack Buck tributes.
    The camera work was awful too. During the pregame, the picture kept scrambling and there were instances where the picture blanked out for a few seconds. Did I mention 480i? (Not that my Fox affiliate could broadcast anything other than 480i.)
    At least I'm not bitter![​IMG]
    Ralph
    P.S. Sure would like to see Torii Hunter in a Red Sox uni!

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

If Bud Selig had it his way all the Twin's players would be in different uniforms.
    "Selig must go" is a little prayer every Twin's fan say's every morning to start their day. It's been a ritual around these parts now for about 9 months.
    BTW....What a fantastic catch!!!! I haven't seen a catch like that from him since....last week [​IMG]

8. Alexander_G

Alexander_G Auditioning

Freddy Garcia (the last pitcher for the AL) had 4 or 5 days rest before the game and wasn't scheduled to pitch for 5 more days. The idea that they couldn't go another inning or two is a joke. Hell playing one more inning likely would have ended it and saved MLB from yet another embarassment.

I for one was pissed off about it all. It's becoming real hard to be a MLB fan these days.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

All I know is that they pre-empted the 11PM entertainment repeats for a game that doesn't count for anything, and then pissed off their loyal customers by stopping the game

I hope they do get the strike, pre-emption free land for me!!

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Don't blame Freddy! He said he was ready to pitch 4 or 5 more innings! The National League should have forfeited the game! Torri Hunter should have been the MVP!

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Don't mess with my Freddy! I wouldn't want him to injure himself for something as LAME as the All Star Game! All it means to me is the season is half over and I'll soon have nothing to watch but the Seahawks! [​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They've called games at Wrigley Field on account of darkness before--but picked up again later (double-header style) to finish the game.

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

And couldn't they have found someone who knew the friggin' words to the national anthem???

14. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Yeah when I heard the National Anthem I was just plain ol' dissapointed. After the first few lines I thought, "Man she isn't good." And then she screwed up the lyrics and I just put it on MUTE and went to the kitchen to grab something to drink. On saturday at the Pepsi 400 Nascar race they had Jessica Simpson sing the Anthem. You would think the All-Star powers that be could get someone like her with a little bit of talent.