What's new

All Star Baseball 2004 Impressions (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I was looking to rent WSB 2k3 tonight but alas my Blockbuster didn't have it(or even last year's version) nor did they have high heat. So I decided to rent ASB 2004. I enjoyed ASB 2003 but I must say they blew it big time with 2004,
First, they never bothered addressing gameplay issues/bugs. The hitting system is still insanely difficult(even with the addition of several variations). I had 2 hits in a 9 inning game. At the same time, the AI for the baserunners is messed up as it often was in ASB 2003. I got caught in a run down because I pressed the "advance all runners button" and for some reason the guy on second didn't advance. Very irritating.
Lastly, the graphics and interface I think are inferior to last year. The gaphics seem darker and less crisp than last years edition.The screen is very crowded because the on screen text is in an insanely large font, and the boxes for pitch selection etc are much bigger than last year. it just feels very claustrophic(that and the banner type scoreboard instead of the box doesn't help much). The roster updates worked as advetised but overall, I'd highly reccomend avoiding this title. I seriously prefer 2003 to this one and there's no way that I'll be picking it up. Looks like WSB or MVP may be the ticket for me.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I more or less agree with you, although I wouldn't say the "blew it." I think they took a step backward.

In addition to some of the things you mentioned, I find the menus tedious and cumbersome to navigate through. I've probably played it a little more than you, so I've had a chance to get used to the gameplay a bit and I'm a little more used to it (last year's took a little while to get used to as well, IIRC).

I also have slowdown issues, framerate or something. Anyway, it stutters, or pauses altogether from time to time, which can really throw you off if it happens during the opposing pitchers delivery.

Mostly, I just find the gameplay controls to be less responsive than last year's version (and this year's version of HH). You press a button and there's an ever-so-slight delay in the game executing it. Makes it feel, I don't know, "spongy" or something.

On the other hand, I really like the pickup mode and all of the fields you can select (one of which has gotta be a ripoff of Field of Dreams)

But, you're right, they made some shallow choices in how to "improve" the game, choosing the window dressing rather than the real meat of it.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree with you Mitty. Perhaps I was a bit harsh when I said they blew it, but any version of a sports title that is inferior to last years just doesn't cut it for me. ASB 2003 was a fun title with some problems but overall I still really enjoyed it. ASB 2004 definately isn't one where my enjoyment will outweigh my complaints.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for saving me $50. I'll just live w/ ASB 2003 until hopefully they get it right w/ '05!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks