What's new

All Star Baseball 2003 Review (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Baseball time, ladies and gents. I picked up All Star Baseball 2003 for the Xbox yesterday. I had been debating about waiting for Triple Play, but A) Decided I needed baseball NOW, and B) I really liked the features that All Star was pumping. Now onto the review...

Graphics are tight, I love the look of the stadiums. A lot of the players look pretty dead on for a video-game. The sound effects are nice, I love that Safeco field has the train whistle -- the only thing I really feel like I'm missing here is the home team's batting music. I know some fans don't like a player having a "soundtrack" when a player comes to the plate, but I do, and kind of miss it in this game. Batter walks up to plate, does his work, takes his base or goes home... no fanfare.

Gameplay is taking a little getting used to. I'm used to playing Triple Play. I don't feel like I have as much control over the players. Defense is awkward, and slow. Fielding a routine pop-up, has resulted so far in 3 errors, and 5 base hits that should have been outs. You have to choose which base you're throwing to before you get the ball. The player gets the ball, and throws slooooowly to the base. I like that in Triple Play or MLB that you could throw harder to bases, but could be hit with an over-throw error. These are the main gripes on gameplay.

On the positive side, I really like the pitching. I had the hardest time striking players out in Triple Play. I would get maybe a max of 3 strikeouts a game, which just isn't realistic. Strike outs are a little easier to come by now. I've thrown anywhere from 6-12 strikeouts in the games I've played -- the 12 strikeouts was with my ace. Batting is a little hard off the bat, but I feel like I'll get the hang of it. Standard cursor batting, with power or less power. (Let's throw one more quick gripe in, when running or stealing, you don't have a speed burst option. I don't feel like I have any control over base running or stealing. Let's move on.) I can see it taking me a LONG time to start hitting with power.

EXTRAS. Wow, this thing is loaded. Besides the create a team, which seems kind of fun, but gimmicky, this is still loaded with extras. You have BP, the Home Run Derby (where I sheepishly admit to not hitting one home run), Copperstown team, and "Madden Cards". Team Management is great, it looks like I'm going to have a budget when signing free agents, and during the season I can call up, or send players down to the MINORS! (I thought that was pretty sweet, even if they don't have Ryan Anderson on my Minor League roster).

This game has some potential.

Doug

BTW, someone HELP me change uniforms! The book says to use the left trigger and up or down on the pad at the controller select screen. It doesn't work! Are they talking about when I choose which team I'm playing on and the level of play before the game, or a different spot?

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks foer the review Doug. I have also been wondering if I should wait for TP or go with ASB. My question is, now that you have played ASB, would you recommend it over TP? I have been a big fan of the TP series for a long time. I do like the soundtracks to the players and all "home run" cut sequences because it makes the moment feel like a highlight from Sportscenter. What do you think? The only gripe I had on TP is too many homeruns by the player and CPU. What about the players? Can you adjust the ratings? How is the create a player feature? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Manny

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am a huge fan of ASB when it was on the N64. I don't have a next gen console (PS2/XB/GC) but have a friend who has PS2 w/ ASB 2002. That game was nothing like the N64 version, it had a rushed feel to it (to make the deadline).

Now I hear they've totally improved on the 2002 version.

So I guess my question is: is there anyone who played the N64 versions and the PS2 version, and is this one more in line with what was on the N64 rather than the PS2 version?

Thanks!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
ASB 2002 was definitely rushed. I've never been a fan of Triple Play, so I'm holding out till Home Run King and WSB2k2 are released.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I'm holding out till Home Run King and WSB2k2 are released.
If you're the kind of person that wants to play a game like Home Run King, this game would NOT be your style as it's VERY realistic. The lower Daryl Kiles stamina got, his pitches had less motion on them and it was MUCH easier to predict where they would end up.
I like this game, it's VASTLY dominate to the Triple Play series, and WSB was SO botched by VC that I can't IMAGINE it being any better than this. VC hasn't shown me yet that they have an IOTA of an idea what a Franchise mode should look like.
The ONE negative of this game is that only ONE person can control a franchise. I wish someone would flat out CLONE EA Sports idea of how Franchising is done, because the Madden Franchise mode is vastly superior to any I have ever seen.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The thing I found sort of tedious about ASB 2002 is how long it takes to play a single game.
In High Heat you can whip through a nine inning game in about 20-25 minutes, but ASB took about 45, or so it felt.
It also felt like even when using a pitcher with a lot of stamina, his pitches (non fastball) would flatten out by about the 4th or 5th inning. It seemed like breaking pitches would really only have great drop for two or three innings.
I saw some ASB 2003 screenshots. What's this one all about? :)
Are they supposed to be bobble heads?

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I have no idea WHAT game that is from, the graphics look COMPLETELY different from ASB 2003 for the X-Box. Although I do find that funny. It reminds me of that Japanese Baseball game.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Actually, I think that's a PS2 screenshot. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. But, it's definitely a screenshot from ASB 2003.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Looks like your typical "Easter Egg" big heads mode, as found on numerous games. I think NBA Street has one, or maybe just the "tiny players" version.

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be waiting for World Series Baseball from Sega for the Xbox. Best Baseball videogame series ever.
Link Removed

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Doug,

Can you give us any insight into the statistical engine of the game? For example, how many hits are you averaging per game or walks? Have you played a full season and seen who wins the Home Run title, how many did they hit out?

I really want to try this title but with High Heat 2K3 due out next week for the PC, it's hard to stray. Has anyone played the HH series and ASB 2K3, what do you think?

One thing that has me intrigued is the franchise mode... which is what drew my attention to World Series BBall as well.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Has anyone played the HH series and ASB 2K3, what do you think?
I've played both ASB 2003 and HH 2003! (PS2, not XBox) :) I just picked up ASB yesterday. I've also played ASB 2002 and High Heat 2000 (the one with Sammy Sosa) for the PC. I've not played HH 2002.
I like the game play of HH, but the graphics and realism of ASB are superior.
Thing I like about ASB 2K3:
  • It's faster than 2K2, and you can skip the interstitial graphics. I can't remember if you could for 2K2, but the game seemed interminably long to play. You can play a single nine inning game of 2K3 in about half an hour; a little longer than HH takes, but not as long as ASB 2K2.
  • The pitching is realistic. Unlike most baseball games, if you throw a sinker, it'll almost assuredly end up as a ground ball. I don't know how many times in HH I've had a lower strike zone pitch hit for a fly ball. Along the same lines, if you swing at an outside pitch, you'll probably slap it to the opposite field.
  • I like the addition of "assisted" fielder control over 2K2.
  • Nice touch: if you pitch inside, you can break the hitter's bat! :)
I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of right now.
I think the realism extends to accumulated stats as well. In HH, I've played about 2 months of a season, and there are a number of players who have upwards of 30 HR. There are also a number of hitters whose averages exceed .400.
Having only had ASB 2K3 for a day, I can't comment on whether the stats accumulate more realistically or not.
One thing I really wish other baseball games would adopt is the multiple camera angles that HH uses. I prefer to use the vantage point of behind the pitchers mound when I'm pitching (just like broadcast! :)).

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
After reading the review of HH2K3 on Gamespot I am missing NOTHING.

A)You can't choose your pitch type

B)The batting is %100 dependant on player stats, not on the person controlling the hitting

C)There is NO FRANCHISE

How does that series get so much run? It sounds like GARBAGE. Didn't 3DO learn from Segas Mistakes? We WANT Franchise mode, and we WANT complete control over the game. The fact that both of my aces have hit home runs in ASB 2003 makes me LAUGH every time, because it's FUN, it's MY skill doing it, it has nothing to do with luck.

I would be AMAZED if WSB 2K3 could compete with ASB 2K3, but I will give it a shot as I am a complete Sega Fanman.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
A)You can't choose your pitch type
I don't understand that. When pitching, you CAN select the type of pitch you're throwing. You can select the type of pitch, then you can press X for a strike, or O for a ball. You can press the direction buttons while hitting the X or the O to determine where the pitch will go within the strike zone or outside of it. What you can't do is pinpoint the EXACT location of the pitch prior to throwing it.

Also, you can adjust the "simulation" level to vary the degree to which it is entirely stats driven.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Larry,

HH get's it's run because of the PC version. Sure, it has it's bugs but no other game got you this close to real baseball as the HH series did. It has 3 levels of minors, career play and countless add ons from the user community. I can't speak to the console version of the game since I prefer the PC game but I was hoping ASB or Sega's game would break me of that trend.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
What you can't do is pinpoint the EXACT location of the pitch prior to throwing it
That isn't selecting your pitch. It's stupid. I like to pitch some hitters up and inside, and sometimes I like to throw a little junk low to get them chasing. You ALSO are COMPLETELY dependant upon your batters ability when hitting, there is no cursor system.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I thought ASB 2003 is horrible. I have played 7 games, and have scored 1 run on rookie level. I am an ASB 2002 pro, having won the world series in the all star level with the Pirates.

In 2003, the player's faces look like they are diseased. Look at the Pirates' Giles or Craig Wilson or Chad Hermansen. Some look sick, some look like they got hit in the face with a flame thrower. Noses are crooked and different colors. The players looked better in 2002.

It is imposible to hit the ball in rookie mode. It is imposible to pitch. I give up an average of 12 runs per game, three against the Mets, 2 against the Cubs, and then 2 games with an expansion franchise.

Some of the AI bugs are STILL present in this game. the most annoying being if an OF drops a fly ball, he will get in a "crouch" position for about 2 seconds before going after the ball. I cannot believe they did not fix that from 2002.

The most annoying thing in the whole game is when a batter goes to the plate. You can skip the animation of him walking to the plate, but when he gets there, you CANNOT skip he animation of him adjusting his gloves, looking down at the third base coach, or digin himself into the dirt. I like realism, but this is a vidoe game. I don't want it to last any longer than it has to. THis easily adds 5 minutes to a game it it gets old REAL QUICK.

They show a replay after evey at bat, and there is an animation of a star and baseball coming real big and fast towards you on the screen. It gives me a headache.

The franchise mode is dumb. There are tons of players I drafted that would have never been made available in real life.. I got Nick Johnson, Erubiel Durazo, Julio Lugo, Jason Marquis, Luke Prokopec, Eric Gagne, Scott Schowenweis, Kip Wells, D'Angelo Jiminez, Russell Branyon, etc. Some guys that I got MAY be available, like Jay Payton but for the most part an expansion team would never have these players.

The off season is dumb too. They use "points" instead of money and if you play as the Pirates, you only have like 75 points to spend, and even mediocre players want 30 points, you are going to have a team full of minor leaguers in no time.

Speaking of minor leaguers, you don NOT get to draft minor league players. You just get them. If it wanted to be realistic, if you played the pIrates and lost 95 games, you would get probably one of the top 3 draft picks--you could draft a stud pitcher or something. It is stupid.

Also, you cannot sing free agents to minor league contracts. you have to move a guy from your 25 man roster to the minors, sign the free agent to your MLB team, then move him back to the minors.

Also, you cannot see how many "years" a player on another team has left. So, if you wanted to trade a good veteran who has 1 year left on his contract for a plyer that is signed to a longer term deal, you have no way of knowing how long the player is signed for.

I still think it is dumb you have to make trades with the same # of players. Why can't I trade Brian Giles to a contender for two or 3 younger players like real life?

On a positive note, the other team's baserunners actually take off once in a while. That is about the only positive.

Oh, every time I break a bat, I hit the ball to the warning track. How ofted does that happen?

In all, I HATE this game and am going to return it. I am sure most will disagree with me, but I feel THAT STRONGLY about it that I wanted to get it off my chest.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
n all, I HATE this game and am going to return it. I am sure most will disagree with me, but I feel THAT STRONGLY about it that I wanted to get it off my chest.
I feel that way about NFL2K2 for the X-Box, if you hate a game, there probably isnt much to make you like it. Try the game once on Veteran mode for my sake, if you still don't like it, more power too you.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I won the WS in ASB 2002 with the Pirates on all star level, using the same cursor batting...I just CANNOT HIT in this game for some reason. I really hate in. In All-Star mode, Giles had over 100 homers and 200 RBI. and I won about 120 games. I had an .800 winning % playing as Arizona in 2002 as well, and i was at about the all-star break in that when I got the new one.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Jesus Rob, I've only had the game 4 days! I'm not even close to done with a season yet, a man's gotta eat (and work) :)
Kenny, I'm having trouble hitting too, but I'm getting the hang of it. Take some extra BP. If that doesn't work, return it. (If only I could hit for power!)
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks