What's new

All Sirius receivers created equally? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I was wondering if, similarly to cell phones, if there is a difference in reception between Sirius satellite receivers? I am trying to choose one but this is a main concern for me.

TedT

Second Unit
Probably. If at home, you have to make sure your antenna is facing the right way (depending on what part of the country you are in). If the window has trees outside of it (blocking the satellite) or is facing the wrong direction, you won't get reception. Me? I had to spend $50 for an extension that would let me put the antenna on the back porch (I couldn't move my whole stereo/TV stand into the kitchen!)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Sears has one helluva deal on the Xact Visor receiver. It's originally $50, however Sears has it for $30 until Dec. 24. I just bought one and it seems like a cool little receiver!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks Jeff. I managed to pick that one up and got it registered. I live in Canada but my brother had to be able to continue listening to Howard Stern so this is great.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
No problem Elliot! I got my hooked up and I really like it! This is currently my 2nd receiver (one for each car) and I actually like it better than my Starmate. The low-profile design is fantastic!!

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I'd say that the Starmate Replay and Sportster Replay are heads above all of the other recievers. There's a couple of nice home units Tivolo I think is one. But a month after I bought the Sporster, the Starmate Replay came out. DAMMIT! But the S50 is like the Replay units except for the Tivo function. If it were only wearable/portable/transmit a live feed then I'd be purchasing that too. Till then, I'll stick to m y sportster

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I personally love the Sportster and wouldn't want another device. I don't want to spend money on the S50 when a better, improved model will be out next year. Both the Starmate and Sportster Replays are cheap enough with rebates. I happen to prefer the Sportster over the Starmate since it's truly dockable and the Starmate needs wire connections.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Yeah, Tom. I do like the weight and solid weight/sturdiness with the Sportster Replay. I don't like any of the XACT models at all and the original Starmate felt like cheap plastic. I liked the Starmate Replay for it's slim profile but didn't know about the wire hook-ups. I know there is a black model of the Starmate Replay under a different manufacturer. I wish I held out but I am still really pleased with my purchase. I do feel bad for a friend who was suckered into getting the original Sportster. Yech!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks