All Samsung HLM617W owners. PLEASE post comments, reviews and thoughts on your DLP!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Adams, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hello all. I am in the market right now for a new hdtv and have narrowed it down to 2 different models. The new Mitsubishi Diamond series WS-65813 65 inch HDTV with 9 inch CRT'S and the Samsung 61 inch DLP HLM617W. I am leaning towards the Samsung because of the DLP technology,DCDi Faroudja processing,no burn in issues and affordability. There are two very important concers I have with this model though.
    1. Reliability. I have heard that the Samsung sets have a huge reliability problem. I do not want to spend $4000 on something for it to only work for 2 years or less. I want it to be in my house for the next 8-9 years.
    2. Black levels. I have seen a lot of DLP hdtv's have a very hard time producing deep blacks. Is this true with this model I am looking at?
    Thanks for your input on this!

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I too am curious. I currently own a great Mits 55908 Diamond, but 1 day I wanna move and my set weighs 350 lbs!!! Plus I hear that DVDs through DVI look stunning!

[​IMG] D

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Anybody???????

4. MikewL

MikewL Extra

I'm close to purchasing a Samsung DLP and have done a lot of research on the forums and in the stores. The ONLY place I've heard of a reliability issue on the Samsung's is at a few of the local high-end shops that were out of stock and really pushing what was on their floor.

These TV's have been selling like hotcakes for about a year now, and I would expect at least a few relevant posts to the forums if there really were a reliability issue.

As for black levels, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. When I've compared DLP/LCD/CRT in the stores, I've found that the CRT does have darker blacks, but they are so dark that I couldn't make out the things in the shadows. The LCD's are on the other end of the spectrum, and appear as if there is a light fog or haze across the entire screen. I like the DLP's because they are right in the middle.

That's my 2cents anyway.
    ...Mike.

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was really putting Samsungs 50 inch DLP HDTV through some tests yesterday at one of my local a/v stores and came to this conclusion. The picture is very bright, very detailed and looked fabulous with hdtv pictures. The colors were rich and vibrant. However I felt that there was some digital artifacts and scaling issues when I was watching a dvd movie through the component inputs. It definately looked like I was looking at a digital image. I want more of a soft film like image when watching dvds. Also, as already known, the blacks are a concern and once again, I was not too impressed with the deep blacks of this set. Don't get me wrong, this set is a very nice set, but I think fpr the money that there are better crt set out there. I think for now I am going to stick with conventional crt technology. The new Mitsubishi Diamond series is supposed to be amazing. With the 65 inch model having 9 inch crt's!

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Over at AVS Forum there are a few discussions about these Samsung DLP sets having problems with "stuck mirrors" which I think are like dead pixels for a plasma. I've also read that there is a problem with digital artifacting and "noise" in the picture as well as the black level issue. I've looked at this set very closely and while I do think it looks better than most RPTVs, I don't know if I could be completely happy with it in my own HT.

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

8. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

Please keep in mind that the Samsung 61 inch DLP weighs about 100 pounds, is easily lifted by two people, and can sit elegantly on a beautiful wooden TV stand. The conventional CRT RPTVs (especially 61 inch and above) are monstrous, look out of place with almost any living room furniture, and weigh 300+ pounds, making them impossible to move.

One of the reasons I chose the Samsung DLP was size/weight. Although there are some compromises regarding the black levels, this TV hands down gives the best picture when price and weight are a factor. A 61 inch plasma is 4 times the price. The LCD TVs have the same price/size, but have worse black levels and an annoying reflective screen.

As far as the graininess on DVDs, it's important to realize that the Samsung DLP produces a geometrically perfect picture, so there is little overlap of light between pixels. This appears to be the reason behind the apparent graininess on lower-resolution video material. It is my expectation that when everything is released in high resolution (DVD + TV signals), this TV will outshine the rest because of its vibrant colors and sharpness.

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I have read on other forums that people who own this set and have a DVI DVD player like the Bravo, Momitsu or Samsung say that combo. is dynamite. Since most of my viewing is DVD, that's what I'm primarily interested in. Can't do a Dig. to Dig. signal with a CRT...

Anyone have a settup like this and care to weigh in..?

D

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have heard mixed things about the DVI to DVI connection. Some say it makes a big difference, some say a little difference and some say that cant tell a component conection from a DVI connection.

11. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The advantage of a DVI input is that the TV isn't doing the scaling so you are sending a digital signal and keeping it that way from start to finish. You have to convert analog and back if using component. Because the Samsung uses the incredible Faroudja chip it can and may be as good or better than a DVD player that upconverts.

The big advantage though is that HD-DVD will in all likelyhood use the DVI as the only input capable of transporting a full HD resolution picture. If you don't have the DVI input you will be seeing a lower resolution signal sent via component. As with everything in this hobby all of this could change in the blink of an eye but currently this appears to be the road it will follow.

12. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

There's really no question in my mind...go for the Mits. DLP is a very promising format which should look fantastic in a couple years. But for now, it will not beat a 65 inch calibrated Mits with 9 inch CRT's. Let me say that on HDTV hooked up via DVI, the Samsung is amazing. Especially in the brigher scenes. The picture is awesome. But unless you plan on watching "live" HDTV programming all the time, go CRT. And if you think the black levels are unacceptable in the showroom...just wait till you get it home into a dark room. That's when the shit really hits the fan.

We could sit here all day and pile up the pros and cons for each format. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Having said that, DLP has an "unnatural" picture which should not be considered for serious videophiles....at least yet.

13. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

14. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Jeff Adams, you wrote:

15. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm in the market for either the HLN507 or the HLN467 Sammy.

I have been impressed everytime I've been in a store that has this DLP TV on display. The 61" and the 50" have been outstanding.

Like someone else said, you can lift one of these TV's easily and can put them into a classy wooden HT set-up. Very elegant TV.

16. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

17. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I recently purchased a Samsung HLN617W and I can say that I am perfectly happy with it.

In order to decided on this set, the following issues were factors for me:
    1. Room lighting: My current viewing room cannot support daytime viewing of a CRT-based RPTV. Reflections from the light (I have skylights) and overall light levels would *ruin* a properly calibrated picture. The DLP does an excellent job in a brightly lit room.

2. Burn-in issues: I could start the argument of the century here, which I don't intend to, but I do play a fair amount of videogames. I don't want any problems with burn in, and the DLP set eliminates that.

3. 4:3 TV viewing: My wife *refuses* to watch TV stretched, despite my assurance that she would get used to it - and we both despise the gray windowboxes. With DLP, there's a black border on the sides of the picture (in addition to 2 stretch modes and 2 Zoom modes.

4. DVI Connection: The DLP has a DVI connection, not many other HDTV's do (currently). Some do, I understand. I have a PACE HDTV STB and it looks outstanding through DVI, and *actually does* make a difference over component video. I don't have a DVI-capable DVD player, but the folks at AVSFORUM all concur that it improves DVD picture as well.

5. VGA Connection: I can connect my computer to the DLP set with no VGA-to-component converters. Again, other sets may have VGA connections.

6. Actual dimensions of the set: This set weighs only about 110 pounds, and can go on top of a custom-made stand that I already had. It's also a skinny 19 inches deep.

Jeff, don't let anyone scare you away from the set without considering your own reasons for owning one. Also, I urge you to check out www.avsforum.com if you haven't already. Owner's impressions abound over there. You'll have almost any answer you can think of.

18. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Chris,
    Thanks for your input. I remember you saying on a Madden thread that you were getting ths Samsung. So you have had it for around a week now? Do you have X-Box or PS2 hooked up to it? It only has one DVI input right? So what do you think would make more of a dramtic difference. Dvd player hooked up through DVI or DirecTV satellite hdtv hooked up through DVI? I would assume that DLP HDTV'S in the future will come with more than one DVI input due to I would think that HD-DVD and other electronics like an X-BOX 2 or PS3 would come with DVI inputs for hd gaming.
    I also wanted to ask you where you ordered yours from and what I could expect to pay for it. What kind of dvd player are you using and do you have it set to interlaced to let your Samsung do the Faroudja DCDi processing?

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I guess you already answered my question in regards to PS2 or X-BOX by your sig.[​IMG]