All Region DVD players with PAL/NTSC Converters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Sterling, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Max Sterling

Max Sterling Auditioning

Hi, I hope this is on topic as it is my first post here. I live in the states and am a big collector of foreign films, so I'm looking for a DVD player that is both All Region and has the ability to play both PAL and NTSC DVDs on my NTSC TV. Any information you all could provide would be very appreciated.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

A lot of players from Apex, Daewoo, and Cyberhome have the ability to use a "secret" code to unlock all regions. Best Buy has the Cyberhome CHDVD-500 for $70 right now, it's multiregion, progressive scan, and has component out as well as coax, optical, and 6-channel output. It also does perfect PAL to NTSC conversion for anamorphic and nonanamorphic DVDs. It may not be the most sturdy or have the best PQ, but it's good enough.
    Check out http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/ for more info.
    Note to admins: Since these codes do not require actually messing with the hardware, I don't know if they qualify as illegal. Feel free to let me know if they are.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Jesse, discussion of region "hacking" is okay, but the discussion of macrovision "hacking" is NOT okay.