All PARADIGM Owners please respond.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RicP, Jan 28, 2002.

1. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Edited since the original link is no longer active.
    Now, I'd like you to post here why you enjoy your Paradigm speakers, and why you bought them. If you want you can tell us what other brands you auditioned before deciding on the Paradigms.
    Thanks!!
    Incidentally I own 4 Studio 40's, I love the imaging and the mid range clarity. The speakers are neutral and mate exceptionally well with my ParaSOUND amplifier.
    I looked and listened to many brands prior to buying the Paradigms, including B&W, Joseph Audio, Vienna, Mirage, DefTech and others.

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

listened to B&W, Axiom, PMC, PSB, Monitor Audio, Mordaunt short, Polk Audio and Acoustic Energy

PMC was the best but cost too much. Here in canada, i was able to get the Studio 20's for $440 US in total.

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

hahahahaha.....

Sorry, I'm still laughing reading Mark Austin's posts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but comparing Paradigm to Bose?? Give me a break.

Time for a reality check: Paradigm makes some bloody good speakers. They are absolute bargains and, in most cases, are worth more than Paradigm asks for them. I suggest Mark take apart a few Bose products (note those WONDERFUL 2" cone tweeters mark) and then take apart a Paradigm product.

Paradigm products are built well. The cabinets, the crossovers, the drivers - all designed and built in-house by Paradigm. Of course, at the end of the day build quality doesn't mean as much as sound quality - and they sound good.

I work for a high-end A/V store that carries the regular Paradigm line as well as Paradigm Reference. They are NOT the worst performers in the store. In fact, they are one of the better ones. This is because of their inherent high value.

Further to that, I own a complete Paradigm Reference system and I'll be damned if I can find something to beat it at the same price.

I think even those who don't like the Paradigm sound will probably admit that they are very good speakers...just not to their taste.

/Jeff

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I chose my Paradigms after SIGNIFICANTLY cross reviewing them with other speakers, specifically the Sonus Faber Concerto's, Boston Acoustics VRM-60's and VRM-50's, B&W 602's, and B&W CDM-1NT's. I listened to the 60's, 40's and 20's. Space considerations prevented me from listening to the 100's and I only listened to the 60's for comparison's sake.

I chose my Dimes because in a price to performance ratio, there was simply NO CONTEST. Did I prefer the sound of other speakers to the Dimes? That's tough to say. I heard the Paradigms hooked up to an NAD receiver, whereas the Sonus Fabers were connected to a B&K Amp and the Ref 30. No contest the electronics were better for the Sonus, so perhaps that's why they sounded great, but for $1700 a pair, it's not even fair. Being close to Canada, I was able to run up North and get the CC, a pair of 40's and a pair of 20's for $200 less than ONE PAIR OF CONCERTO'S. And the performance is so close it isn't even funny. Just because Paradigm is subsudized (sp?) by the Canadian Government and can keep research costs down (and let their dealers mark down the MSRP), that means they deserved to be flamed for it?

I think the Dimes have a very crisp, tight sound. I haven't even been able to hook them up to my good electronics yet because of a lack of a pre-amp and they already destroy my previous set up. Are they the be all end all of speakers? Of course not...but until I win Powerball, they are going to have a permanant home in my HT.

Hey Mark, why don't you get yourself a solid front end and then compare the Paradigms to your beloved Dynaudio's and Sonus Fabers. Oh yeah, you can't afford a decent front end...your too busy spending $2000 for a pair of N805's!!!!

5. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

That other thread was pretty funny! [​IMG]
    I own 4-40's, one studio CC, and a pair of ADP370's in my HT setup. There was nothing I found that compared to the 40's at that price range. I listened to DefTech, Boston, and B&W ... but maybe I should have listened to BOSE! HA! [​IMG]

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Mark Austin did not compare Para to Bose quality wise- Ric read what he said. His point, which is accurate, is that the sales volume of a brand is a poor indicator of its quality/value in this market where the buying public is so easily fooled by skilled marketing, of which Bose is the most extreme example.

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

My Paradigms (Studio 40s, Studio CC and Mini Monitors) fit my listening needs at a price I find reasonable. Are they the best speakers out there? No. But they are the best for me at this juncture in my HT theater experience. I am quite pleased with them.
    I have auditioned Def Techs, Energy, B & W, Polk and Snell, to name a few. It all became a blur after a few weeks.
    Having owned Bose 201s previously, I can say without hesitation, they are a better speaker. [​IMG]

8. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I run Monitor 5's, Mini-Monitor's, CC-370, and a PW-2200.... For the money I spent, I could not find a speaker that matched their sound *IN MY OPINION*.... I auditioned Infinity JBL, B&W, Polk, and AR's (what was available locally).... In my opinion they make awesome gear for an awesome price, but I'm sure others will feel differently.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

RicP,
    Just curious,you have mentioned that many Paradigm owners belive that the Studio 40's are the"best" among the studio line.
    Would you elaborate why is that?
    Is it price performance ratio compare to the more expensive models or the 40's just flat out better?
    Also what is the current avarage price for those right now?
    Thanks!
    PS: I think you wanted to say you have a Parasound amp?[​IMG]

10. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

11. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

13. Mark Austin

Ric,

Are those Osiris stands you are using? If so, how do you like them? I understand that they are gong out of business and there are quite a few deals on the remaining inventory.

14. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Mark,

They are indeed Osiris stands and I'm extremely happy with them. They're built like a tank (42lbs each before filling), and the balance is super. The brass spikes are sturdy and smooth threaded and I like the oversized top plate -- a little blu-tack and you're in business.

I'm not sure what the height availability is nowadays, I got the 24" stands and the brass spikes if you use them can add another 1 or 2 inches to that.

15. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I don't own any Paradigms yet. I did listen to the Studio 100s over the weekend and I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor.[​IMG] Nice speaker and for the price my dealer wants. Now it's an incredible speakers.[​IMG]

16. Mark Austin

Ric,

I have been tempted to pick some up, as I think they look fabulous. I spotted them right away on your web site, and I must say your setup looks very nice. I have been looking for some 28"'ers but haven't come across any yet. It's good to know that the spikes add an inch or two, as that may put me in the desired window of height. 42lbs. before filling is quite a bit. Do you have any idea what they weigh after filling? Thanks for the info.

17. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

OK, my 0.02$.

Listened to:

Martin Logan, Thiel, B&W, Magnepan, Revel, Sonus Faber, NHT, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Linn.

Selected Paradigm - right now monitor setup ( 9, 350 LCR, 350 ADP, Monitor 5 for back, PW-2200) for HT; will migrate to Studio 40/Studio ADP/Studio CC when $$ will allow, and Active (2 pairs) + Studio ADP for living room music.

Why ? I could not afford Linn/Revel sets I like; ML demo was botched, and I got tired of pointing that interconnects are not working (sound missing from speaker). Linn or revel F-30 are nice, and Revel unusual design would fit my living room - but $$...

I like the sound; I can push then and the will sing.

_zjt

18. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hey Ric,

How high are your rear 40's? Are they on stands also or wall mounted? I'm contemplating using 40's also in the rear and not sure how high of stand or maybe some BT-77 wall brackets I've heard work good with them.

Thanks

James Elvick

19. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Just for the record. Bose sells because they sell to the unimformed/newbie who doesn't know any other name, but Bose. Just listen around the office everytime some says "I'm thinking about getting a HT. Circuit City had a great Bose setup". Ask that person what other brands they listened to. You know what they say "I didn't, I just liked the Bose". Ask them to name another brands of HT speakers. You know what they can't. Try to tell them that for the money they could get soooooo much more/better speakers and they make excuses like "I can only have the little speakers because my wife doesn't want big speakers". Sure blame it on the wife. Bose makes their money off the J6P of the world. The person who knows no other name, but the one they heard of in Bose radio commercial or a flyer in the Sunday paper.
    I would hardly classify Paradigm with the J6P of the world. The people that are part of this forum and are Paradigm fans are people who audition many different speaker brands and don't just go for marketing hype. I myself spend a lot of time listening speakers, amps, pre/pros and yes it takes a lot of time and several trips to the dealer. NOT CIRCUIT CITY.
    Compare Paradigm to Bose? Man talk about an insult to the brand and the people who care about their sound. What a joke.
    OK, I feel better now.[​IMG]

20. Mark Austin