All of Bach's Cantatas on SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zane Charron, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

When will the madness end.

3. andrew markworthy

I must confess I was amazed when I first read the thread title - I thought they were going to release all 200 or so cantatas in one go. However, it's a fifteen year project.

Not sure I like the idea of one voice per part, in spite of what scholarship says is authentic. I personally find performances of this kind lack weight, even if they are admittedly a lot clearer. However, each to their own.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I like that they are tackling such a huge project and offering it in hirez. The fact that all 200 contatas is not being release at once is understandable to say the least. That's a big effort and this is a big production with many participants.

I think I will wait to form an opinion on the vocal corrections until I hear the final result.

We may be pleasantly surprised as a group. [​IMG]

By the way, also noteworthy is that Channel Classics, one of the better classical labels, has decided to go all hybrid SACD. It doesn't get much better than that. [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've been having some problems reconciling academic "correctness" with musical presentation myself, lately. The issue of "proper" meter alone is confounding.

As for the project itself: 15 yrs? Will there even be CDs or SACDs by then? They'll have to re-start the project to be compatible with brain chips or whatever the hell we'll have by then.

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

People have already recorded some of Bach's choral works with OVPP. So far it can best be described as a joke. While Bach may have had a limited number of singers during his time, that doesn't mean that he intended his music to be sung with OVPP.

7. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Well 15 years, and 9 months if they start in October. [​IMG]