All of a sudden I’m not getting sound when I play DVD movies.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Raymond Hubbard, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Raymond Hubbard

Raymond Hubbard Auditioning

All of a sudden I’m not getting sound when I play DVD movies or audio CD’s on my Toshiba SD5700 DVD player. I have a Denon 2801 receiver that still has sound as a tuner and with TV from the cable box. I’m using a coaxial cable connection to the receiver. The Denon has two LED lights that shines when either Dolby digital or DTS is active. I has tried two different DVD’s one with Dolby and one with DTS coding and no sound. I think that it’s probably the DVD player but I don’t know. Any ideas?

Thanks,

RFHUBBARD

[​IMG]

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

1. Verify that the cables are properly connected
    2. Check receiver's setup which may have been changed by mistake. Look for coaxial assignment and make sure that you haven't selected multi-channel by mistake on the remote or front-panel.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

An additional suggestion:

Power down both the receiver and the player, and unplug them for a few minutes. Then restart. Today's HT components are so similar to PCs that it sometimes pays to "reboot" them.

M.

4. Raymond Hubbard

Raymond Hubbard Auditioning

Thanks Rick and Michael but I've done all of the above and no joy. It definitely is hardware but until I can find a DVD player to switch with my Toshiba I won't know for sure. I just thought that someone may have the same problem with their DVD player or Denon receiver.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Also, check and make sure your DVD player is outputting the correct audio stream format.

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

O.K., one more try. My apologies if you know this already, but I really think this is your problem, as I have the Toshiba 5700 unit myself:

The 5700 has a setup setting called "Priority Contents" which sets the mode that the DVD player defaults to when turned on. You can select DVD-Video or DVD-Audio.

If you have selected DVD-Audio you MUST have analog 5.1 cables connected to your receiver to hear anything. NOTHING is sent via the coaxial digital cable. In order to play DVD's and CD's via the digital output you MUST change the Priority Setting back to DVD-Video, then turn off the machine, then power it up again.

See your Owner's Manual around page 61 or so. Good luck!

Drives me crazy because I have to do this to switch modes all the time.