What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Winner of every drama prize available in 1947 except the Pulitzer (the New York Drama Critics Circle, the Donaldson, the Tony), Arthur Miller’s All My Sons comes intact to the big screen in a sturdy, emotionally satisfying enterprise securely if unremarkably directed by Irving Reis.

All My Sons (1948)

Released: 01 May 1948
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Irving Reis
Genre: Drama, Film-Noir

Cast: Edward G. Robinson, Burt Lancaster, Mady Christians
Writer(s): Arthur Miller, Chester Erskine

Plot: During WW2, industrialist Joe Keller commits a crime and frames his business partner Herbert Deever but years later his sin comes back to haunt him when Joe's son plans to marry Deever's daughter.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc...

Continue reading...

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
my two least favorite commentators Kat Ellinger and Lee Gambin chatter away like mad and agree with each other’s assessments completely in this long and forgettable track.
Had to laugh at that comment, and I completely agree. I always enjoy your reviews, Matt.

MovieMan66

Grip
Real Name
Jay
"Joe Keller should have been the role to earn Edward G. Robinson his first Oscar nomination".

I TOTALLY disagree. Edward G. Robinson should have been nominated, and most-likely should have won, four years earlier, for Best Supporting Actor in Double Indemnity.

If you've seen the film - as I hope most people have - I shouldn't have to sell you on that opinion.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Closer than that, Walter."

Spoiler for Double Indemnity below.

I am interested in All My Sons, but Matt H. in his excellent review mentions the dust and so on found throughout the print. I guess I'm too spoiled by Warner Archive to settle for that if I'm going to have yet another blu-ray on my shelves.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"Joe Keller should have been the role to earn Edward G. Robinson his first Oscar nomination".

I TOTALLY disagree. Edward G. Robinson should have been nominated, and most-likely should have won, four years earlier, for Best Supporting Actor in Double Indemnity.

If you've seen the film - as I hope most people have - I shouldn't have to sell you on that opinion.
I wrote that sentence attempting to indicate that ALL of his fine performances up to that year had NOT BEEN so honored, so this one should have done it for him for what would have been the first time. Honestly, he should have been nominated for Little Caesar all the way back in 1931 and many times after that.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Love this movie ! E. G. Robinson should have Won an Academy Award. Can't believe he Never got one. :confused: He should have won 4 times easy. What an Amazing Actor. The Bluray looks Great ! Thank God for KL ! They release Great Classics. Wanna Know ? Ask Joe. :D
aaaaEGROBINSON.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, the Board of Governors voted him an honorary award in 1972 and he was pleased they recognized him, but he died two months before the ceremony. Very sad indeed.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'm afraid you're quite correct about the print being too dark. I can live with some little scratches and such, but the darkness factor does become annoying at times. Too bad, because otherwise it's a fine release of a damn good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks