What's new

All My Movies software for organizing DVD collections. Anybody else use it? (1 Viewer)

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I was looking last year for software to organize my extensive collection of movies (over 1,300) and most of the stuff I found was either old, not supported, or nothing more than a spreadsheet I could have done myself in Excel. I found some decent ones, but it took forever to add descriptions, pictures, etc or they were expensive. I read a review of All My Movies after Googling for a while and they had a free 30 day trial, so I downloaded it. I was surprised at how nice looked, and how easy it was to add movies from my media server. For example, you click add movie from file, find the movie you want to add, and it gets info from IMDB, Amazon.com and DVDEmpire.com including MPAA ratings, descriptions, actors, directors, studios, the year it was made, the genre, and alot of other info. If you add a movie from your PC like I do, it also shows the resolution, length, audio and video stream information, the date you added it to your collection, etc. You can add them from barcodes, but I've never used that function.
I've only found one movie so far that it didn't get the info for automatically, and it was a foreign film, so I can't really blame them. When that happens, you can add info and screenshots manually from stuff on the web like I did, and it's easy to do.
You can actually play videos from the program too, so it's kind of a good front end for my media server too. It's good for when you want to watch all of the movies in your collection starring Paris Hilton, just do a search for her name, and all of her blockbusters that you own will appear before your eyes. (All of the ones she's not 100% naked in at least.)
It has a feature for people that loan their movies so you can tell what's out and to whom, and you can print out your list in alot of different formats. (I have all of mine printed out in a binder so people can look through it and see what they want to borrow. :emoji_thumbsup:
Aside from the software, the guys at the company are great too. They answer emails directly (no Indian support techs you can't understand named Mike or Julie!) and are always willing to help with any problems. That's hard to get these days and I've appreciated it, that's one of the reasons I'm writing this review!
They also make a software organizer and a book organizer, I haven't tried those out, so I can't comment on them, but if they are as good as All My Movies and if I could read, I'd get it...
All My Movies is good in XP and Vista, and is updated for bugfixes and other features regularly.
Check out bolidesoft.com to get the trial and let me know what you think!

Other programs I recommend for movie lovers-
DVDFab
ConvertXToDVD

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I treid DVD Profiler, but half the discs I had didn't have complete information, and alot of them didn't have any information at all. I heard such good things about it, but was pretty disappointed. I didn't realize when I paid for it that it was user submitted information, so it's only as good as its contributors (like wikipedia). I wanted something a little more professional.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
If you have Media Center, I don't know why you would need anything other than My Movies. It's free and works awesome.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy

I tried that too and it just didn't give me the options I want/need. AMM does alot more than just list my movies and tell me about them.
Trust me, I think I've tried just about everything out there!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to read that you your bad luck with DVD Profiler, I've used it for years and have had no problems.

I just wanted to point out that unless things have changed IMDB information is also uses contributor submitted information and is only as good as its contributors. That's not to say either system is bad just that they work similarly.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Profiler used to be much more convenient because of a third party software that allowed you to copy cast and crew lists from IMDB and import them into the database instead of manually entering it all, but with the newest version it's not compatible and that's probably why alot of titles (especially older ones) aren't complete. No one wants to take the time to manually type in the information. Does anyone know of a newer program capable of importing IMDB data into the newest DVD Profiler?

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I used to use the online based services, but if their server was down or I had connection problems on my end, I was out of luck accessing my collection.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
DVD Profiler is fine for me. I 've looked at the sreenshots of All my Movies and it doesn't look as pleasing to me as Profiler. No back cover images of disc boxes either it seems, which is a huge plus for Profiler.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I've been very happy with Movie Collector (Pro Edition) over at Collectorz.com. It pretty much has the features you're looking for.

They even sell a scanner (albeit expensive) that is battery operated so you can scan the UPC codes (up to 500 at a time!), then plug it into a USB port, and the titles are automatically uploaded to your database. No, I didn't buy the scanner, but I like the program a lot. Check out the website to see what else it can do for you.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

I think you can blame this on one particular DVD Profiler contributor, who's gradually bullied his way to a very dominant and influential position among the program's user forums. He's venomously opposed to using IMDb data, and insists that all credit lists are entered exactly as they appear on screen.

Contributing data to DVD Profiler used to be stress-free, and gave you a small frisson of achievement. I generally can't be bothered now - it's too much hassle. It's certainly not the user-friendly program it used to be.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm glad someone else said it before I could get here. I had nothing but problems submitting new titles and various fixes earlier this year to the point I stopped caring. Sure, I still use Profiler (among others) when I get something new, but I don't go through the hassle of adding new titles to the database anymore. It's a complete pain in the rear end I don't have time for.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I'm on a Mac and use DVDPedia. I've been very happy with it. One neat feature is that it works with iSight (built into recent Mac laptops) to scan barcodes. Not always the easiest thing to get the barcode lined up to read correctly, but pretty cool when it works.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.

Couldn't agree with you guys more! I love the program and use it religiously as their database (user built and edited) is probably the most accurate out there. However, the opinion of many users in the forums over there is ardently anti-IMDB, unfairly I might add. The submission policy is way too detailed and practically byzantine. You will see edit changes for the smallest things (i.e. spaces forgotten, punctuation and very minor typos corrected). Talk about anal! I gave up submitting some time ago and often have my own approach to maintaining data locally on my computer that runs counter to the accepted norms at Invelos. Thankfully, they build this versatility in.

Don't let this apparent negativity dissuade you though. This is one excellent app. I think it bests everything out there though Collectorz is not bad. I use their Book database solution.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy

I've not found any data from IMDB to be wrong. (Yet!)
I used to get online and type in the movie name & IMDB to see what a movie was about, who was in it, etc, so it's nice to have a program that has it all together.
It also collects data from DVDEmpire.com and Amazon.com as well as foreign DVD sites if you have foreign movies.

Mary_P

Second Unit
A quick Google search turns up the website: All My Movies ™ - DVD Movie Catalog Program. Your personal video database software

When I searched the page for "Mac," the only hit was as part of the word "Macedonian"! So I'd say, no, no Mac version.

If you're on a Mac, have a look at DVDPedia and see if it does what you need. DVDpedia - Do you know where your DVDs are? They also have a free demo, which is full-featured, but has a cap of 25 titles. The $18 license unlocks it and allows you to enter more titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks