What's new

All Klipsch system...well, almost (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I've had a pair of Klipsch SB-2's for a few years and they are outstanding. I finally upgraded my center to a Klipsch SC-1 and I am absolutely amazed. I never knew a center speaker could really add such a new dimension to my home theater. Voices are so crisp and so clear compared to what I was using (an old Emerson POS). Now my question is, if I upgrade to the matching dipolar Klipsch surrounds, how much help would it give me in the surround department? I'm using front firing Sony's now and the ambience is nice but not as good as I'd like. Are the Klipsch's good or should I look for something else in the same price range? Also, my sub is a JBL PB12 and it hits pretty hard, but can I do better for a few hundred dollars? Here is my system as of today:

Yamaha HTR-5280 Reciever
Klipsch SB-2 for LR
Klipsch SC-1 Center
Sony bookshelves for surrounds
JBL PB12 250 Watt sub
Pioneer DV-414 DVD player
Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player
Sony SDP-E800 DD processor (for AC-3 RF demod)
RCA Hifi VCR
Sony V-Series 27" TV

Thanks,

AJG

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
See if you can find the Klipsch WDST surround speakers. They seem to be a good match with your system. Can be had for relatively cheap. As far as subs go SVS seems to be the sub of choice on this forum.

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
I also have SC-1 center, and a pair of SB-2's for fronts. I was wondering which would be a better idea... Upgrade the fronts to floorstanding models and but the SB-2's as rears? Or just leave SB-2's in front and get WDST rears.

(My rears need to be upgraded they arent klipsch currently)

Dave McC

Auditioning
Klipsch just released the SF-3's. Mike, :emoji_thumbsup: , if your room is large enough to take advantage of the SF-2's for the rears, then go for it. Unfortunately, they will produce a higher decibal low-end mid frequencys for movies with the combination of the SF-3's and have a bad effect, although you could tone down the subwoofer(hopefully) to compensate.

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
Well I guess the decision depends on a bunch of different variables. I would like to do what's best for viewing movies over listening to music.

so dave from what you're saying ... If I get the new floorstanding SF-3's their bass frequencies might mix poorly with the sub's (KSW-10) frequencies and have a bad effect. However the floorstanding SF-3's are better all round speakers than the bookshelf SB-2's that I have for fronts right now.

On the other hand... If I keep the bookshelf SB-2's as fronts, and get SS-1's for surrounds, the overall balance of the frequency range will be better because the sub properly picks up where the bookshelf fronts fall off, plus the SS-1's are bi-polar WDST surrounds which are better as surround speakers than the bookshelf SB-2's.

so you're saying its either
A) better fronts and an imbalanced system or
B) a more balanced system of less powerful speakers?

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I guess another question would be what would be a nice, yet inexspensive dipole solution? I'd like to follow the THX spec by getting these, but still use front firing speakers for the surround backs eventually. Thanks again everyone.

AJG

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsh KSB-3s in front with the KSC-1 center, and use KSB-1s for the surrounds. I tried the dipolar surrounds, and I could hear the difference in the sound as it moved from front to rear. The KSB-1s integrate much better IMHO.

I have also tried the Klipsch Quintets as surrounds, and they work OK, though not as good as the KSB-1s.

You'll find lots of Quintets and some KSBs on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks