All-in-wonder cards for HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JohnVB, Mar 26, 2004.

1. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I've decided I'm going to do this HTPC thing piecemeal. I'm going to get the video card first - maybe along with an audio card.

Then I'm going to put it in a beater 1Ghz machine I've got to experiment with various OS's and software.

So I need to pick a video card to start with. I read somewhere that the ATI All-in-Wonder cards don't do such a good job capturing and recording video. Is this still true? Should I stay away from All-in-Wonder for HTPC, or are there some now that are worth looking into?

Thanks for the help,

- bones

2. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

I ran a 9700AIW and now have a 9800AIW and both have captured and recorded for me without any problems.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Video cap works fine on my AIW 7500. It hiccups sometimes with framerates, but I think thats more the problem of the clockspeed on the card and my comp (800 MHz). I'd go for it, AIW does great.

If you'd like picture in picture and you've got another PCI slot, drop in an extra ATI TV wonder. [​IMG]

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention the Remote. It's GREAT! Almost the best thing about the whole package. You can control almost everything with it (except the TV guide, unfortunately), plus it's RF so you dont need a line of sight to the signal receiver (which hooks into any USB port). Once they integrate TV listings in with it, It'll be perfect IMHO.

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

It depends on a lot of factors. If you want to back up old VHS tapes that aren't in perfect condition, then the AIW won't work too well. My 7500 works okay with a tape in good condition, but with really old video tapes it drops tons of frames.

Also note that the AIW cards won't copy macrovision protected tapes.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I'm not satisfied on the PQ of the tuner on my 9800Pro AIW. I would look at buying the VC and tuner card separately. Hauppauge makes nice tuner cards.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You can even look into getting two separate PCI tuner cards and do Picture in Picture if you want. Never tried it myself but I know it's doable; since you were talking about trying various OS's, check out the Linux-based http://www.mythtv.org for instance.

Haven't tried it, but I'm very tempted.

If you're going to be viewing on a high definition display of some kind (a PC monitor or a projector), make sure the cards has the right chipset. The picture quality I get from Dscaler, from http://www.dscaler.org is nothing short of stunning. Check that site for recommended cards.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

A SageTV setup + a Hauppauge WinTV card is the best solution for PVR'ing NTSC cable. The Radeon AIW's do a decent job from what I read but they say the PQ from the Hauppauage cards are the best out there.