All-In-Wonder 9000???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kidd, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I just purchased a pc online from HP yesterday and it's coming with an AIW 9000. I've never heard of this model. Is it a foreign card that they're just sticking in a US machine? I'm basically wanting to use it to back up my home movie VHS copies to DVD or SVCD. Anyone heard of this one?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It's the brand new one from ATI, totally legit. Hasn't hit the shelves yet, but it is a solid value AIW product positioned between the AIW VE and the AIW 9700. It will have zero problems backing up your VHS to DVD, great card.

Don't take my word for it though:

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=505

Enjoy it!

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Joe, thanks for the link but that website is in the UK. I've found mention of the AIW 9000 on European sites, but nothing on the US side of the pond. Even ATI doesn't mention them. I'm a little worried that it'll be set for PAL territories and not NTSC. Anyone else have any info?

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think the 9000 is similar to the GF4 MX in terms of performance, with the Ti cards outperforming it. I agree for video capturing it will do ya good, as all the other AIW Radeons.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I've been able to find plenty on the 9000 series in the US, but not an All-In-Wonder 9000 card. I'm still curious as to why the AIW 9000 doesn't seem to be showing up anywhere in the US and whether it will be suited for NTSC video capture, etc.

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Found something on it. Looks like it was just reviewed 2 days ago, so this must be a fairly new version of the 9000.

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=505

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Dave, thanks for the link, but it's the same British link listed above. The AIW 9000 does seem to be a legit card in Europe, but I have yet to see any mention of it in the US.

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

bump. Still need answer to my question. Thanks.

10. Joe G

Joe G Auditioning

I've been asking myself the same question, as I am also going to buy a computer from HP (Compaq).
    I think that ATI is not making the card themselves, but have contracted it out to Sapphire. When I wrote an email to ATI asking them a question, they responded:

"The All In Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro is a product manufactured by one of our other vendors. Since we
    do not manufacture the card, you would need to contact the vendor of the card for more information
    to your question."

I did find this review:
    www.beyond3d.com/reviews/sapphire/aiw900pro/

When you get your PC, would you please tell us if the remote control is included? If it isn't, then I'll probably just buy the AIW 8500 retail box (which does include the remote).

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    You shouldn't have any problems with the card. Even ATI's AIW 8500 supports all the standard TV formats. And I've yet to find a mainstream card that was permanently locked to a single television format. Such a move would severely limit a manufacturer's market potential as well as create a lot of wasteful duplication and support nightmares.

12. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I should be getting the computer today. After I have some time to play around with it, I'll post my findings. Realize, though, that this is my first experience with a capture card, so I may not be as technical as some more experienced folks.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

OK, real quick first impressions. After I've had some quality time with the board, I'll get into more detail.

It seems to be a genuine ATI board, not a 3rd party. At least I can't find anything on the board itself or in the software to lead me to believe otherwise.

It does come with the remote wonder which was surprising to me since I figured that HP would skimp on it.

I have yet to capture anything with it, but I hope to do so tonight.

3D capabilities seem decent. Certainly not top of the line, as there was just a bit of hesitation during some horizontal panning. Fine for what I paid for it.

The driver cd that was included again looks like a straight-from-ATI product. We'll see if I can upgrade to MMC 8.1 with the DVD player. I know some folks have had problems with their discs being recognized, probably because they are using 3rd party boards. I guess that will be a good indication of this board's origins. It's just so hard to tell what you're getting in a mass-market machine.

Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.

14. Joe G

Joe G Auditioning

Does it have component video output? Or does it say it is compatible with the HDTV Component Video Adapter?
    Is there a user's manual that comes with this that you could post? Thanks.

15. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Unfortunately I don't have the webspace to post the user's manual.

No, it doesn't have component outputs. I'm not sure if it's compatible with any kind of dongle.

I'm going to have to wait a bit before capturing anything with it, as I need to purchase another hard drive just for video. HP has soooo much crap installed (including a "Restore Partition" that takes up 7GB!) that I don't have enough room left to capture video at any decent bitrate. Dang it.

16. Joe G

Joe G Auditioning

Thanks, Brian. I'm trying to set up a system using my TV as a monitor, and I want the wideband component interface.

For anyone who's interested, the product description posted by Compaq says this:
    The 64MB DDR ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro with TV-tuner is the multifunctional visual and home entertainment experience for your PC. It combines the fast 3D gaming performance, superior television and entertainment features, along with easy-to-use video editing and capture found in a graphics card. With 64MB DDR memory, the ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 PRO supports Microsoft DirectX 8.1, utilizes THEATER. 200 for stereo and video decoding and processing, and features TV-tuner capabilities.FEATURES: -- Powered by the RADEON. 9000 PRO visual processing unit -- Unparalleled TV and DVD features: TV-ON-DEMAND , Gemstar GUIDE
    Plus+ -- Easily edit video into your own creations: Video CD and DVD Authoring software (with DVD+RW/+R drives) -- 64 MB DDR memory -- Complete DirectX 8.1 support -- 30 foot user interface for hand held remote control to
    control your pc applications -- Use component output to watch TV, DVDs, and videos on your TVs -- Four parallel rendering pipelines -- 128-bit DDR memory interface -- THEATER 200 Video decoder and stereo audio processor -- Stereo TV tuner with 125 channels. SPECIFICATIONS: System Requirements: -- Interactive Program guide requires Internet connection for listing updates -- Remote control receiver requires available USB port.Graphics controller: -- RADEON 9000 PRO Visual Processing Unit (VPU). Memory configuration: -- 64MB DDR. Display support: -- One display (VGA or DVI) simultaneously connected with a TV or VCR.
    TV-tuner requirements: -- TV signal from amplified antenna or cable. NTSC version for North America. Connectors: --
    DVI-I (15 pin VGA adaptor included) -- Stereo audio, S-video, and composite video inputs and outputs -- External stereo connections to sound card's line input and output -- Dolby digital stereo

17. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It may say component, but trust me, it isn't set up to do it without some sort of adapter that would have to be purchased separately.

Another thing, apparently this was manufactured by ATI and only sold with HP and Compaq computers. What this means is that it's sort of a bastard stepchild of ATI. They barely acknowledge its existence and won't support it. I tried to upgrade to the new MMC 8.1 software but they didn't recognize my ATI driver disc as being authentic. Therefore, they won't let me download the DVD player software. Go figure.

I did a capture using Virtualdub and it seemed to go smoothly. I couldn't find any ATI software to capture. At least they don't bother to let you know what you should use. Their support is atrocious.

18. JeffDurbin

JeffDurbin Auditioning

I have the 8500DV All-In-Wonder and it has that purple cord dongle thing. I like evrything but I am having severe problems loading updated drivers. I can do everything with the card EXCEPT capture audio when I record TV shows or DVDs. It is no fun watching a DVD without sound. It is starnge that I get audio in without problem I just can't record it. And when I rip CDs they work fine but they are using my sound card and not my video card.

19. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I finally figured out how to capture directly to MPEG2 using the TV software. It worked pretty well, but with it using CBR at 8,000kbs, it takes up too much space on a DVD+R. I think I'm going to have to stick with capturing to AVI and encoding to MPEG2 VBR using TMPGEnc. More time-consuming, I know, but worth it in the end.

The 9000 came with the purple dongle as well, but it only had S-Video and Composite inputs. No Component.

20. Joe G

Joe G Auditioning

It is my understanding that the component adapter is sold separately and is not included with any of the cards. ATI says the DVI-to-component adapter is supported only by the 9700, 9500, AIW8500DV and AIW8500.
    The VGA-to-component adapter is supported by (non-AIW) 8500 and 8500LE.
    They don't mention the AIW9000 on their site.

If you have a fast CPU, you might want to make sure you have it configured to encode using I/B/P frames instead of just I frames -- that will make the resulting capture file smaller.
    There should be an "Edit" button that allows you to set the bps rate and frame type.