What's new

ALL IN THE FAMILY will be UNCUT (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
ALL IN THE FAMILY was a mid season replacement starting in JAN 1971. The first season is just 13 shows. The box set will contain complete, uncut episodes. The second through ninth seasons. if released (and we all hope they are, don't we) will be longer and probably more expensive.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
This is great news! If I may ask, how did you confirm that these would indeed be uncut versions?

I was so excited I almost forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome, Steve.

Ike

Screenwriter
What was cut? Are we talking, uncut as in uncensored, or uncut as in uncut from syndication?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I knew they would have the entire first season. But please tell me if they will be at the correct lengths. A preorder of this disc set from me hangs in the balance.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, the episodes are complete and uncut. Some people were afraid they were going to be edited after seeing that "the complete first season" totalled under 300 mins. Thi is explained by the fact that since the series begain in January 1971, the first season is really only half a regular seasons worth. Future seasons (and hopefully box sets) will be double the length and probably cost more as well. Pre-order away!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps you didn't see my post in the other thread (just like I didn't notice this 2nd thread), but there I ask how you come by this information. Do you work for the studio or production house, or are you well-connected, or what? Perhaps you are an executive with Col/Tri-Star. IF so, we're extremely happy to have you here. But, if you are, you haven't let us know that, so we're not sure where the info is coming from.
Point-blank, why should we believe you? I don't mean to offend you, but there's plenty of stuff posted on the internet all the time with nothing to back up the validity of the post. Can you help us out here, please?
If you read through all the discussion about our concerns regarding the running time, you'll see that the concern stems from this:
Total minutes of 286 ÷ Episode Count of 13 = 22 minutes per show.
However, it's supposed to be 25 minutes per show, according to those around here who know such things (I'm not one of them; I'm taking their word for it, but it's a bunch of people who all are very sure of themselves).
So what happenned to the extra 3 minutes per show? It seems like the total running time should be 325 minutes for the Season 1 box set!
Please let us know A) if the running time of 286 is a mistake of some sort, and 325 is correct, and B) if so, how you know this information.
Thank you very much!

MikeAW

Second Unit
I hope it's like the MASH box...but that one can play the episodes without cueing up each one...because it's like seeing the show for the first time, with the complete, uncut episodes...a real Tv Treat !

Does anyone know if Nick At Nite broadcasts the complete, uncut episodes...or are they cut for syndication ?

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Yep, the episodes broadcast on Nick at Nite are edited versions for syndication. Very few shows, once they move into syndication stay complete. Especially shows from before the 90's, due to the fact shows used to run around 25 minutes with 4 minutes for commercials and also a 30 second station identification and preview of what was coming up next.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Mike

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Jeff: MTFBWY = May The Force Be With You

As for HH...Happy Hunting? Happy Holidays? Holding Hands? Happy Hacking? Ha ha?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, but what about the cutting? We knew all 13 shows of season 1 would be on, but will they be at the correct length?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
This is a quote directly from someone at Columbia Tristar:
"the all in the family dvd contains the original episodes as broadcast."
That's all. Does that mean the DVD length is wrong? No idea.
Gord

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It would be profoundly stupid and, dare I say, meatheaded to intentionally release an edited version of a TV series on DVD (or VHS, for that matter)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Ok. Yes, the info comes from someone on the inside. What I am trying to communicate is that A) the episodes will be uncut, as originally presented on CBS in 1971; B) the reason the running time of the set is shorter and the price is lower is because the first season is really only a half season. Where I might have been misinformed is is in saying that it was 13 shows. It may be 12, I am looking into that. I would say to those who are skeptical to just wait to read some reviews of the product upon release before purchasing.
;)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Ok. Yes, the info comes from someone on the inside. What I am trying to communicate is that A) the episodes will be uncut, as originally presented on CBS in 1971; B) the reason the running time of the set is shorter and the price is lower is because the first season is really only a half season. Where I might have been misinformed is is in saying that it was 13 shows. It may be 12, I am looking into that. I would say to those who are skeptical to just wait to read some reviews of the product upon release before purchasing.
You don't get what we are saying, we know the first season is only 13 episodes. But 13 episodes at the running time for TV shows in the 70's would equal much more then the running time listed on the release information. As we have said numerous times before, 13 Episodes x 25 minutes per episode equals 325 minutes. Even if it was only 12 episodes in the set (which would not be the full first season) it would still equal 300 minutes, not the 286 that are listed.
MTFBWY and HH!! = May The Force Be With You and Happy Hunting. Just for those asking. It's a saying many Star Wars figure collectors use. :)
Mike

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Each website I have checked says it is 286 minutes, which would make each episode 22 minutes.

I hope this is not true, or I will lead a campaign to get the disc recalled and re-issued in the uncut form.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Each website I have checked says it is 286 minutes, which would make each episode 22 minutes.

I hope this is not true, or I will lead a campaign to get the disc recalled and re-issued in the uncut form.
Unfortunately, Matthew, the true answer lies with Columbia-Tristar.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well on topic, I think it's just Columbia/TriStar estimating that the average episode is 22 minutes long and doing the math from there. Why would they release *edited* episodes?/
And slightly off topic, I finally know what HH means now. :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, all I know now is that March 26 will either be one of the best days of my life or the absolute worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks