What's new

All in the Family third season DVD question (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
In the background of the episode menus, you can see the famous scene where Archie's in his robe and he points his finger to his temple (as if it was a gun) while listening to Edith ramble on as usual:

The scene is also pictured on the inner sleeve where Archie has just "pulled the trigger" and his tongue is sticking out (a hilarious scene if I remember it correctly; I haven't seen that episode in years):

However, I don't remember seeing this scene in any of the episodes on the third season DVD set, which I just finished watching. Does anyone remember which episode this scene appears, and if so, which season? If it's not on any of the third season episodes, why did they put that picture on there?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You're right Allan -- I don't recall seeing that episode in S.3 either. I can't remember what ep. that is.

Along the same line of thought -- I've noticed another picture that adorns the AITF-S.3 packaging that isn't from a season-three episode either -- the pic of Archie sitting & looking at a copy of T.V. Guide. It's this issue (dated October 13, 1973, which means that episode couldn't possibly have been taped in S.3, since S.3 ended in March 1973). ........

I'm guessing the T.V. Guide shot is from a Season 4 episode. So, perhaps Archie's famous "gun to his head" routine is also from S.4.

Oddly, this "gun to head" image .......

..... also is used on the Season ONE packaging (back of box; plus on the spine).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BTW Allan -- Since we're on the subject of AITF --- Have you (or others) noticed how terrible the framing is for many/(most) of these AITF-S.3 (as well as Season 2) episodes? Heads constantly being cut off to the point where about half of people's heads are missing/chopped off on occasion. Annoying.

I really like having AITF on DVD (in full season compilations) -- but these DVD sets from CTHE are really ... I hate to say it ... not very good, PQ-wise (plus the obvious poor framing on some S.2 and most S.3 eps.).

Don't tell me that AITF was SHOT with this awful mis-framing? Think it was? I'm doubting that is the case; because I do not think my VHS copies exhibit these "cut off heads".

Also BTW -- What's with these "automatic links" whenever you type in "TV" or "VHS" or "DVD"?? I don't like this auto-formatting to links. Kind of annoying, IMO. (Although it seems to be "hit & miss"; sometimes it'll format the letters into a sponsored link; sometimes not. Curious. Any way to turn this annoyance "off"?) :frowning:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Off-Topic (but I just HAD to point this idiocy out to somebody here :)) --------

Just noticed that this VHS video is currently the 2nd best-selling VHS tape at Amazon, despite its outrageous current price tag of $50.99!

WHY would anybody with an ounce of gray matter between their ears spend this much when they ......

.... oh well, you know.

Unbelievable. :) :frowning:

I wonder if the individuals buying this $50 VHS tape realize they could actually purchase the DVD
version AND a DVD Player to play it on, for just $7 more than the VHS tape alone!? (A progressive-scan Player, to boot.) LOL! :laugh:

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

I would like to know this too. It is very annoying. I thought I was infected with spyware or something.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
David and Greg -- This new development is a feature known as "Intellitext". It's something which is being tried, to help bring in more revenue for the site (to cover operating costs), while remaining as unobtrusive as possible.

There is an ANNOUNCEMENT message about it at the top of each individual forum, and there's also a thread in the feedback section in which it is being discussed (with input from site co-owners Ronald Epstein and Parker Clack).

Here's the announcement thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ouncementid=94

And, here's the feedback thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=213913

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If I remember correctly, the scene to which you are referring has to do with Edith relating the plot of WATERLOO BRIDGE to Archie ("Vivien Leigh was a LAAAAADY of the EEEVENIING") but I can't remember exactly which episode it's from. That MAY narrow it down for you, sorry I can't be more specific.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I like Columbia's commitment to some of these shows, and their pricing strategy...but quality is often another matter altogether.

I've not gotten this set yet, but I will very soon...I'm starting to lag behind on my Columbia purchases, still need to get Good Times season 3 and SAnford and Son season 5 also.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"However, I don't remember seeing this scene in any of the episodes on the third season DVD set"

That's because the scene is from season 7, an episode chiefly devoted to a flashback of when Mike and Gloria first met, and then at episode's end Edith is going on about how she and Archie first met (which is the same story she tells in the first appearance of Maude episode from Season 2, and when she mentions Maude for the first time in five years on AITF, Archie's face twists up in disgust before he begins his Russian Roulette mime).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I thought Edith/(Jean) looked a tad older in that pic in question. You can tell just by looking at Edith that it's not from the first couple of seasons of the show.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone for their responses! I knew I could get some answers here!:emoji_thumbsup:

David VP, you are so observant. I didn't realize that image was also on the first season DVD package. I will have to check mine again later--it's been quite a while since I've viewed season one.

I also noticed the mis-framing. I just figured it was shot that way. But I don't have the VHS versions to check this out. I agree the picture quality is poor, but on the other hand, I'm glad to have these shows on DVD--I just think they're great, and that AITF was the best TV show ever produced.

As for the Intellitext, I have not noticed this at all. Could this be because I'm using Safari, a Mac-based broswer?

Again, thanks for everyone's responses!:)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I always thought the misframing was odd. When I watched episodes of All in the Family with the misframing, it would and does irritate the hell out of me. Chalk another one up for Columbia Tri-Star. I have just another gripe of mine to their list. How many does this tally? No special features on the DVDs, poor packaging, no THX remastering.... no remastering of the pictures itself... and now this. Keep it up, Columbia. You'll piss me off again, I am sure of this.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Chris:L -- Don't forget to add this annoying item (or lack of an item actually) to your "gripes" list -- No chapter stops at all on AITF 1 & 2.

And the fact that CTHE decided (for some odd reason) to drop all subtitles for AITF-3 -- after having them on seasons 1 and 2. A curious S.3 omission.

I, myself, couldn't care less about subtitles or captions; but I know a lot of people DO care about those things. Seems strange they'd drop them for S.3.

At least they added chapters for S.3, which is a huge plus, IMO. If they had only the one chapter break after the opening credits, that would suit me fine. But that one post-opening-titles break should be a mandatory item for all TV-on-DVD releases, in my all-too-humble opinion. (Esp. on AITF, given the awful singing at the top of each ep.) :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is the "From Television Studio in Hollywood" voiceover on Season 3? It was on Season One but edited from Season Two.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You mean "From Television CITY in Hollywood", right? ;)

And, no, that voiceover isn't there on S.3. (I'm wondering if perhaps they stopped saying that at some point before each episode. I'm not sure. ???)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely agree, and this is an annoyance of mine, even some of the releases from studios that I consider to be very well done don't have this, like the Flinstones/Scooby Doo/Friends sets from Warner.

I'm glad they added a play all option as well, not a necessity I guess...but it is definitely appreciated.

The subtitle/caption thing is curious, no idea why they did that.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

I saw "Archie and the Bowling Team" - a 3rd-season episode - on TV Land last night and I did notice that the heads were cut off, so I don't think CTS can be blamed for this one - that's the way it was taped.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I happened to notice that on TV-Land as well. Cut off heads all over the place. Looks awful. But evidently it WAS, indeed, intended that way. A most curious framing decision on many of these AITF eps.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Wasn't AITF taped live? Maybe this is why some misframing occurred. The camera operator probably wasn't monitoring the framing at those exact moments.

They may have tried to do a retake with better framing, but decided that the earlier performances were better and therefore kept them instead (like in the original version of The Manchurian Candidate, where Sinatra was unintentionally out of focus).

Of course, I'm just speculating, since I have no real idea how a live TV show is taped and edited. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, AITF was done Live. But I can't see why this would affect the framing of the various scenes being shot/taped at any given moment.

IOW -- why would the camera EVER be zoomed in so much as to chop off half of Archibald's head? I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm just glad that Director John Rich (who did many of the AITF episodes) didn't utilize the same hideous framing techniques while he was directing The Dick Van Dyke Show. The framing on the Van Dyke series always looked excellent to my orbs. I cannot (off hand) recall any scenes on that show that had heads hacked off. (Except in the episode "I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All", where Dick/Rob does his "headless" routine at the end of the episode. :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks