What's new

all in the family seasons 7-9 (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It still holds the record for consecutive years at number one in the ratings. It had better ratings than MTM throughout their runs. Some people claim there was a decline after John Rich left at the end of the fourth year, but I think there was just a change in focus.
More to the point, however, I believe the gentleman above was referring to the video quality of Shout's 7th season release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FanCollector said:
It still holds the record for consecutive years at number one in the ratings. It had better ratings than MTM throughout their runs. Some people claim there was a decline after John Rich left at the end of the fourth year, but I think there was just a change in focus.
More to the point, however, I believe the gentleman above was referring to the video quality of Shout's 7th season release.
I never misunderstand people like this! lol :rolleyes:
thanks for clarifying that. Sad they don't look better than the non-shout! releases. Although I may have heard AitF was a victim of that fire that destroyed masters of various shows. I'm happy just to have the whole show in a watchable form even if it doesn't look as good as MTM, Sanford & Son, and others of the time.
I've laughed my butt off at season 5, so without John Rich it's fine by me. Although, I have to admit it hurt to watch that 100th show special with Henry Fonda hosting. All that laughter non-stop literally wore me out. I was crying with laughter. But hurting for a while after it was over. Exhausted with laughter.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, S7 is the one with the infamous botched encoding job that rendered a jerky, more kinescopey look than videotape source look. Some players don't have the jerky issue so much (all of mine did) but the kinescopey look designed to make it look more like film remains the biggest problem.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Jack P said:
Yes, S7 is the one with the infamous botched encoding job that rendered a jerky, more kinescopey look than videotape source look. Some players don't have the jerky issue so much (all of mine did) but the kinescopey look designed to make it look more like film remains the biggest problem.
And I love how Brian Ward claimed there was nothing wrong with the encoding, until enough people pointed it out to him.
I may be young (in my 20's), but I do know the difference between good-old fashioned videotape and film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/270048/all-in-the-family-seasons-7-9/150#post_3922411
thanks for clarifying that. Sad they don't look better than the non-shout! releases. Although I may have heard AitF was a victim of that fire that destroyed masters of various shows. I'm happy just to have the whole show in a watchable form even if it doesn't look as good as MTM, Sanford & Son, and others of the time.

Fire? The only fire I heard about was the one at Universal, who owns no Norman Lear properties. Neither any of the other Lear shows nor anything else shot at CBS Television City had the picture quality problems AitF had on DVD in its first five seasons. I still have no conclusive answer as to why this show's first five seasons look substantially inferior to its contemporaries.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was sure I read about the original masters of this getting destroyed or damaged. Most likely speculation only. I half read stuff sometimes...usually I'm supposed to be working. :D Might have been Barney Miller or something I'm getting it mixed up with.
With Season 7, maybe that explains the 7 & 8 set? It was only $19.49. Well, can't wait to try it out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Finally started Season 7. Nice picture quality, but yeah it doesn't run altogether smoothly as we'd like. But I got used to it. That opening episode starts the season off with a bang. Great stuff. I don't remember this 3-parter at all for some reason.
One nag, I can't skip passed one set of previews and that doesn't make me happy. There is NO WAY to skip it or even speed passed it. I wanted to throw my remote control at it...and break the screen!! SHOUT! should never do that again.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Good news, season 7 has been fixed.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shout-Factory/57640591309
Todd M. Pence: Has the AITF complete series set corrected the season seven gaffe in which Shout Factory inexpliacably transferred videotaped original episodes to 16mm film, making for a virtually unwatchable product? Or, as I suspect, has that abomination been repeated?
Shout! Factory: ‎Todd M. Pence - It hasn't been repeated, Season 7 is fixed on this set.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd like to know that as well.
I'm finishing up Season 8 now. wonderful stuff. Nearly done. Would love to continue on to Archie Bunker's Place. And not just the first season. ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I watched the final episode month or so ago. Sure was sad to see it end. Not sure when I'll restart. Archie Bunker's Place should be the next place I go... I guess Season 1 is there, but... Shout! needs to keep going! ABP Season 2, etc. please please. Please again. And one more please if you need it. I have several other pleases right here. I'll throw those on the table too. Please please. I'm going to borrow a few more and include those as a bonus. please please.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
jimmyjet said:
i never liked the show - did not like all the bigotry in it.
The original intention was to make Archie Bunker such an ignorant fool that bigotry would get a bad name. It all backfired because Archie Bunker developed into a sympathetic character. We were supposed to think he was uneducated ("didn't know any better") but fundamentally a great guy.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Joe Lugoff said:
The original intention was to make Archie Bunker such an ignorant fool that bigotry would get a bad name. It all backfired because Archie Bunker developed into a sympathetic character. We were supposed to think he was uneducated ("didn't know any better") but fundamentally a great guy.
^^^^^ This

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think the idea was to make him real, having both positive and negative qualities like the rest of us. His views were always refuted on the show. He was often sympathetic, but seldom "right."

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont think he was realistic. i would say that it was more of a parody, in that he was an overly exaggerated example of bigotry. few people are really that biased. but you had to hear all that stuff. the "n" word or the "f" word, or the "gd" word is not nice. so i dont want to hear it, even if they make the user of it to look foolish. not that archie ever said those words. but all the crap that he did say that censors allowed at the time. there are many episodes of tv shows, as well as old movies, that show the error in being bigoted, without all the ridiculous language, etc. i did not find it to be a good show. and certainly not a good all in the FAMILY show. i didnt watch it much, cuz i was in college. but my dad loved it, so i could hear it in the background enough to know that i was not interested in it. i had zero sympathy for that character, so that was not a problem for me. in fact, i dont know if i liked any of the characters, in the sense that i found them real. certainly not archie or edith. i dont know about the kids - they might have had some more realism to them, in that there may be real people that have similar makeups. i did not watch enough to know. i am currently watching family affair - what a well written show. every episode is entertaining, as well as depicting a human trait that most of us experience from time to time. watching it as an adult is giving me a whole new appreciation for the show, that i would not have understood as 10-year old kid. buffy is a wonderful child actress, right up there with ronny howard. a look at her face, without her saying anything, tells a story and a half.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
To each his own, of course. In relation to the thread, I was thinking about "Archie the Liberal" lately. While I realize it is, in some ways, a revamping of "Sammy's Visit," I think it's a great show in its own right. Besides being laugh out loud funny throughout, it provides an unusually clear view of Archie's way of thinking about the world. For me, it is one of the underrated episodes of the series, as I don't hear much said about it. Do any of you have episodes you feel are underrated? Not necessarily your absolute favorite shows, but shows you feel are worthy of more attention than they get? (They can come from seasons 7, 8, and 9, but no need to be too rigid about the rules.)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I really like the Christmas episode when Archie and Edith go to visit Mike and Gloria's "rocky" home. Not the funniest, but it reminded me of my family and it was neat seeing them trying to hash stuff out. I didn't like the little actor they got to play little joey... and it needed more of the kids around the tree doing Santa, opening presents. But I prob like that one more than most did.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I thought that Christmas show was a highlight of the ninth year. (And typical of the Bunkers' awful Christmas luck!) Sally Struthers in particular rose to the occasion and won a well-deserved Emmy for it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee, I own the first seven seasons of All In the Family. It's among my all-time favorite television shows. The four regulars were outstanding, and several of the 'non-regulars' were very good as well. Several episodes from the show made me laugh and cry, and the writing was for me quite provocative. Perhaps I'll strike up an in-depth conversation with you about the series sometime, when I'm not too lost in the Trek universe. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks