What's new

all in the family seasons 7-9 (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
You have to also realize that the exact same sales figures can mean a success to Shout! and a failure to Sony based on their profit points. Somy has a huge overhead to help cover; Shout! a MUCH smaller one. You can't look only at how many units sell or how much profit, but what does that profit mean to the studio.

If your employer said, "You know, we decided to give you just $10,000 for your year's work," would you really accept it and think to yourself, "Well, making $10,000 is better than making nothing." Of course not. You have a base expense amount you have to cover every year, and an amount of value for your work that together makes up what you deem worthwhile to accept for your time and efforts. Same with the studios. It's an awful lot of work to go through for a "mere" say $75,000 profit on a season for Sony, which probably wouldn't pay a fraction of their employee medical insurance but might pay it all and then some for Shout!, making it far more worthwhile for them than for Sony.

John, I don't agree. Your example is a weak one, because I just can't survive on $10,000. On the other hand, the companies are very wealthy. A better example would have been if my employer said "We'll give you $1,000,000 a year for your hard work, and then an extra $10,000 on the side -- would you take that?"

Money is money, sometimes the studios will hit a home run out of the ballpark and sometimes they'll only hit triples, doubles, or singles... maybe a bunt now and then. But it's all profit, and all of it benefits them because they're pleasing all types of customers everywhere at different levels. They may want to make million$, but sometimes you have to settle for hundred$ in between. Everybody's happy, and a mega-studio will not go bankrupt with a few modest profits in between the blockbusters. So sometimes a profit can buy one of those suits a mansion... other times, they've only earned some dinner cash. But it's all good and there's room for everything. Now, if all they did was consistently LOSE millions of dollars, that's another matter. It's all about selfishness, greed, and expecting too much.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Sorry, Joe, but yours is the weaker example. You are assuming that a season will make them $1,000,000 profit (plus #10,000 on the side???). Suppose they do all the work, spend all the money, and the release only makes $10,000. How are they going to pay their overhead, staff, payroll taxes, health and pension benefits and give anything to the stockholders? Once a show has a history of even low "profits" it's not worth their time. The reason they have the money is that they don't repeatedly waste time and energy on low earners. You make it sound like the money they have to spend is somehow not coming from their profits on prior releases. Let alone the fact that an indie with a smaller overhead will enjoy more profit from the exact same sales figure than a major would.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Sorry, Joe, but yours is the weaker example. You are assuming that a season will make them $1,000,000 profit (plus #10,000 on the side???).
No, not at all. I'm saying that the studio already has a multi-milion dollar business (which I'm sure is actually worth way OVER $1,000,000) and thus, if they make only a few measley thousands ... or even hundreds ... on ALL IN THE FAMILY, it's still profit. They won't go "bankrupt" by raking in nickels and dimes instead of quarters or dollars for the odd release now and then. But they expect to hit an unreasonable Home Run with every release, and that's greed.

(And when I hear that REALLY obscure and non-iconic shows like "227" are bing released, that only further makes mew shake my head).

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
[SIZE= 10px]Wow...I'm staying away from this money issue because none of it comes to me. If Shout can produce 5 seasons of That Girl I believe they will finish the remaining 3 seasons of All In The Family. I think that those of us who own the first 6 seasons should be responsible enough to finish our collection of the show. Afterall, it might just give Shout the green light to go after other shows like finishing The Jeffersons and a dozen times ten others.[/SIZE]

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

No, not at all. I'm saying that the studio already has a multi-milion dollar business (which I'm sure is actually worth way OVER $1,000,000) and thus, if they make only a few measley thousands ... or even hundreds ... on ALL IN THE FAMILY, it's still profit. They won't go "bankrupt" by raking in nickels and dimes instead of quarters or dollars for the odd release now and then. But they expect to hit an unreasonable Home Run with every release, and that's greed.

(And when I hear that REALLY obscure and non-iconic shows like "227" are bing released, that only further makes mew shake my head).
Joe, it doesn't work that way. They don't throw all the money from all releases into one big pot and whatever is left over is profit. I know that's how many people think studio accounting works, but it isn't that way. Trust me, I've been dealing with studio accounting for more than 20 years. Plus, you make it sound like their overhead is automatically covered each year, irrespective of how successful any releases are. In what magic world does that happen? And the bigger the studio, the bigger the overhead. That's why smaller profit margins can mean a bigger success to a smaller outfit.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
John, we obviously won't agree on this. I still don't think it would have hurt Sony's poor little pocket book any to release all of AITF, a very iconic and award-winning classic.

The bottom line is that SHOUT! is doing Season 7, and I want Season 8 as well. Thank God for companies like them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John, we obviously won't agree on this. I still don't think it would have hurt Sony's poor little pocket book any to release all of AITF, a very iconic and award-winning classic.
I doubt that it would have hurt but it wouldn't have really helped them financially and the bottom line is all they care about. The show's iconic status and multiple Emmy awards means absolutely nothing when money is involved.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

The bottom line is that SHOUT! is doing Season 7, and I want Season 8 as well. Thank God for companies like them.
On that we do agree Joe! Thank God for Shout! (and MPI and a few others.)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Please, please, PLEASE tell me Shout! will acquire the remaining 5 seasons of "The Jeffersons" next!!! The fact that they have obtained AITF certainly means there's hope!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR
I doubt that it would have hurt but it wouldn't have really helped them financially and the bottom line is all they care about. The show's iconic status and multiple Emmy awards means absolutely nothing when money is involved.

And that's why I've said it's all about greed and wanting Home Run$$$ all the time instead of a $ingle now and then, in between.

Still, it always "helps" to make customers happy. You can't have too many supporters. And there are customers clamoring for all sorts of titles which the companies own, not just the ones who only care about The Simpsons and Friends.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

And that's why I've said it's all about greed and wanting Home Run$$$ all the time instead of a $ingle now and then, in between.

Still, it always "helps" to make customers happy. You can't have too many supporters. And there are customers clamoring for all sorts of titles which the companies own, not just the ones who only care about The Simpsons and Friends.
The Simpsons aren't doing too well, either.

One classic season per year for the last few years. At this rate, by the time the gap between seasons 13 (the next release) and season 20 (released out of order) is closed, DVD will probably be a dead format!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Very strange...I've been finishing up Sanford & Son Season 6 (2nd viewing of the series) and got the urge to restart AitF yesterday. Then this morning I have that pre-order notice in my email from amazon.com. For me, it's just weird. I had been thinking since Shout! did LitB, they might take on stalled shows like this. So... but still. Weird. Hopefully they will finish Archie Bunkers Place too.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
(UPDATE: I was the one asleep--somehow I missed this back when it was announced in June!)

Was everybody out there asleep yesterday??!! ALL IN THE FAMILY Season 7 is coming from Shout! Factory, according to The Digital Bits:

Shout! Factory has set All in the Family: Season Seven for DVD release on 10/5 (SRP $29.93).

Scroll to the bottom of the 9/23 post, about 4 paragraphs above the "24" artwork.
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Season 7 is out, I have season 7.

It doesn't look too bad. Compared to season 1, it looks wonderful.

And about the Draft Dodger...

Shout's version of the episode runs at 24:53, so it's complete.

In it, Archie says "Rotten Damn War", even though you can clearly see him saying "Goddamn War".

So, was the original CBS Version "Goddamn" or "Rotten Damn"? Or, is this a pre-TV Land syndicated version, since everyone else says the current syndie versions are "Rotten Stinking"?

...no pun intended.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ According to the IMDB,

"...Carroll O'Connor delivers an angry line during the taping as: "I don't wanna talk about that Goddamned war no more!" However, the network ordered that O'Connor dub over the audio before broadcast, so that the line is changed to "I don't wanna talk about that rotten damn war no more!" while the original line is clearly visible on the actor's lips."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0509930/trivia

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Paul Bogart talks about "The Draft Dodger" in this interview:

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/paul-bogart

Clip 4 under "Discussed in This Interview"

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There are some AITF episodes I refuse to watch on general principle and that one ranks at the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks