ALL IN THE FAMILY Season 5

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe Karlosi, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Hmmm. I didn't even know this was coming out, but when I checked the "Weekly Roundup", there it was! So I was off today and able to drive right to Best Buy at 10 am and pick that sucker up. Anyone else get it?

I'm glad the show has been released to DVD through the fifth season, and I'll continue to buy it when the Stivics move next door and have the baby, and Archie gets the bar and works there with the Meathead assisting him on Super Bowl Sunday, at the very least. But once Mike and Gloria leave the show, I'll be on the fence.

2. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Mike & Gloria came back to guest star on All in the Family in a 2 parter when they're getting divorced when Archie & Edith fly out to California, and again when the Stivics come to New York to visit the Bunkers and Stephanie in the Thanksgiving 1979 episode of Archie Bunker's Place.

Wouldn't you buy those, Joe? [​IMG]

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Maybe they can put those few on a single disc, Jeff. [​IMG]

Just the mention of Stephanie makes me cringe. Brrrrrr!!

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Season five is the big one for the Jeffersons, if I remember correctly. This season has the "pilot" for the Jeffersons, where they move out and up--

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Yep, that episode is in this season. Unfortunately, the only time I watch the Jeffersons is when George and Archie are sparring! [​IMG]

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Okay, but what about the episode lengths?

7. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    What about the Henry Fonda episode - did they use the syndicated episodes?

8. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

The review at sitcoms online (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/allinth...dvdreview.html) states, regarding the episodes' length, that "All episodes appear to be unedited running around 24-25 minutes. 'The Best of All in the Family' originally aired as an one-hour episode, and it is presented on the set this way. The episodes are in their original airdate order." The review then notes the "Best of" to run at 50:42, which sounds complete.

So hopefully we have complete episodes. It should be noted that all shortcomings of the prior releases notwitstanding (poor video quality, poor audio quality, no extras), we have at least received complete episodes, as opposed to the butchered TV Land versions. I compared my Season 4 DVD episode "Pay the Twenty Dollars" to the version recently run on TV Land. The latter completely edited out the conversation between Archie and George Jefferson in which Archie tells Jefferson to attempt to pass a counterfeit $20 bill in Harlem, where it will wind up "with some white guy who sells purple Cadillacs to your people." Now what's the point of airing All in the Family if moments like that are not aired? It makes it very hard to get up for TV Land's upcoming 35th anniversary AITF marathon later this month. I e-mailed TV Land, requesting full episodes for the marathon (even mentioning the Hallmark Channel's former practice of showing 4 unedited MASH episodes in a 2 and 1/2 hour period, in order to air all the commercials they desired), but have received no response.

9. Brandon.B

Brandon.B Stunt Coordinator

I only have Season 2. The only other Seasons I plan on getting are Season’s 7 & 9. I hope we get them a little bit faster!

Though, It would be nice if by the final season we could at least get a little something in extras. Its unfortunate that we might not see anything in that department.

10. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

I'll grant you, some extras would be nice. But the show was shot with poor video cameras and poor microphones, at least by today's standards. I hardly think this is the fault of the DVD producers.

11. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Everyone has their opinion but I'd say the show jumps the shark once the Jeffersons leave and Mike & Gloria have moved into their house. Still a good show but a bit more of a minefield as far as quality after that point. However, the show produces a classic episode when Mike & Gloria exit. For people who don't know that was supposed to be the last episode of the entire series. It was written that way for maximum dramatic impact hence the total silence between Archie & Edith after Mike & Gloria leave, leading up to the final fade to black where audience members can be heard sobbing.

The show should have ended on this timeless TV moment. However, the network refused to let the show go and offered Carroll O'Connor more money and creative control so the show returned for one more ill-conceived season where you-know-who arrived. Then the show morphed into Archie Bunker's Place and during the second season (I think) Edith dies in her sleep, after Jean Stapleton asked to be let go.
    The show effectively ends there for me, other than Gloria's later appearances sans Mike.

I'm glad to be getting uncut episodes but I too hate that the show has had no extras, bloopers, docs, etc. It's insulting to the show and the fans.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    My opinion on Archie Bunkers Place has risen over the years. I still think AITF should've ended arounf the 8th season, but I've seen a few eps of Archie's Place and they were still pretty funny, especially compare to Today's Lame sitcoms. I'll probably pick up the 1st season of ABP in Febuary

13. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Agreed. I've already watched something like 15 episodes from this new DVD, and I would say the quality varies from quite sharp on some eps to a little soft on others, with most of the episodes looking good. The show doesn't look outstanding in syndication, and probably wasn't terrific when it originally aired either (I don't recall because we weren't as conscious of V/A then!)

14. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I'm still hoping Sony will include the 90-minute 20th anniversary program that was broadcast (and released on VHS and LD) in the early 90's. It was a reunion of sorts, featuring interviews with the entire cast and Lear, mixed with comments from average Americans, discussing the impact the show had on their lives. It was also like a "best of" show, since they included many clips from famous, and controversial, episodes. It would be a nice addition to the the final season set. I can't imagine they'd release the entire series without some sort of bonus. Since O'Connor is no longer with us, this would be a fitting tribute to him, and the show, as I believe it was his only in-depth discussion about his life on AITF.

15. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    One reason this show is never going to look great is because it's not supposed to. Norman Lear has said the art direction and set decoration for this show was meant to look lower middle class to represent that the Bunker's were exactly that. The house and furniture are old, the wallpaper is faded. The show is meant to look dreary and aged. Imagine this same show but in a setting like Monica's apartment from Friends. Sort of loses the impact of the storytelling and the "weight" of the series.

16. Brent C

Brent C Stunt Coordinator

I actually really enjoy the final season of "All in the Family". IMO, Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton's chemistry and comedic timing with one another was never better. They also allowed Archie and Edith to grow and evolve into smarter and savvier people.

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I read on imdb.com that the season two episode where Archie witnesses a mugging is cut....but the running time is 25:41...can anyone confirm this? They say that the episode is complete on the Columbia House vhs copy.

18. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

anyone?

19. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

The drab set decoration and art direction of the show has nothing to do with the video quality of the show. "I Love Lucy" is in black and white (no bright colors, obviously), but is by far sharper in its picture quality than "All in the Family," whose picture often looks like you're watching it through a screen door. This is unacceptable to me, and the reason I stopped purchasing AITF after Season Two. I'd love to have them all, but only if they inject some quality into their releases.

20. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Mike, but LUCY was shot on film, where AIF was done on Tape. I would ask you what your alternative is if you want all the uncut episodes of AIF but do not buy the DVD sets? In other words, I would think it's much preferable to have these sets rather than nothing. And having seen every transfer of all 5 seasons, I can say many of them are quite good, though some have the "screen door" feel you describe.