What's new

All In The Family: Season 3 - Now Coming in July!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Now if we can only get word on "The Jeffersons". Been waiting almost a year for season 3. Having never seen any Jeffersons episodes prior to the DVD releases, I'm eagerly anticipating upcoming sets.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
My question is.... what made Columbia TriStar change their mind? Huh? I mean really, this is the first time they actually do something smart.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else here think that Columbia improved the PQ (slightly) on the S.2 AITF set?

Looks a tad clearer to me. Season 1 had several episodes that are downright blurry (had me rubbing the ol' orbs on occasion). Still...all great episodes. Although I feel the volume level on these DVDs is too low. When comparing them to some VHS tapes of AITF, the VHS wins hands down on sound quality.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI .........

Here are the 24 episodes we'll see in the upcoming AITF Season 3 set ("The Bunkers And The Swingers" is a fave here, when Edith unknowingly befriends a wife-swapping couple.) :) .........

http://www.tvtome.com/AllintheFamily/season3.html

38. Archie and the Editorial (9/16/1972)
39. Archie's Fraud (9/23/1972)
40. The Threat (9/30/1972)
41. Gloria and the Riddle (10/7/1972)
42. Lionel Steps Out (10/14/1972)
43. Edith Flips Her Wig (10/21/1972)
44. The Bunkers and the Swingers (10/28/1972)
45. Mike Comes Into Money (11/4/1972)
46. Mike and Gloria's Wedding - Part 1 (11/11/1972)
47. Mike and Gloria's Wedding - Part 2 (11/18/1972)
48. Mike's Appendix (12/2/1972)
49. Edith's Winning Ticket (12/9/1972)
50. Archie and the Bowling Team (12/16/1972)
51. The Locket (12/23/1972)
52. Archie in the Hospital (1/6/1973)
53. Oh Say Can You See (1/20/1973)
54. Archie Goes Too Far (1/27/1973)
55. Class Reunion (2/10/1973)
56. The Hot Watch (2/17/1973)
57. Archie Is Branded (2/24/1973)
58. Everybody Tells the Truth (3/3/1973)
59. Archie Learns His Lesson (3/10/1973)
60. Gloria the Victim (3/17/1973)
61. The Battle of the Month (3/24/1973)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

They often move titles around. Since it wasn't officially announed (no press released was issued) the date they had given me before wasn't set in stone.

As for this being the first smart thing they've done, I think that would have been delaying NewsRadio in order to add bonus features. I'm still sooo happy they did that!

Gord

Supporting Actor
Seee???? Columbia TriStar will delay other sets for bonus features.. but not for the grand daddy of them all... AITF... I think they hate to own this show... if so... sell it to some other company... Columbia TriStar sucks... did ya hear me Columbia? Ya suck!!!!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm sooooooo glad to hear this news; it was taking so long I was afraid the other seasons would never follow. I hope the DVD series goes up till when Mike and Gloria moved, at least.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Boy, that is a great collection of episodes. Even though it was a great show through Season 8, the very best episodes are when the four of them were living in the same house - Seasons 1-5.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yep, this will be one to pick up. Glad this was moved up; I didn't think it would take them as long as what was originally quoted.

Chris:L - Your views seem pretty narrow-minded. No, they haven't put any extras on AITF DVD sets. Yet. But they're just starting to get accustomed to releasing sets with special features; they're finally coming around. 'Improving', if you will. They still have 6 tries to put some extras on for us. I don't think they'll let us down.

And while Columbia has bumbled some things, they've given TV fans a lot to be thankful for. Very affordable prices, for one. And access to an assortment of shows rarely seen on TV these days -- Barney Miller, Soap, What's Happening?, etc. A lot of studios (Universal & Fox, to name a couple) wouldn't have taken some of the risks they have.

Supporting Actor
Dane, did you ever think one of the reasons why the sales for this particular show aren't doing good is because AitF DVDs do not have special features?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't think it is. It might contribute to it a bit but if fans of the series really want the episodes they will buy the sets regardless.

Sanford and Son sets don't contain any extras, except for some trailers on season 3, and they're selling better than AitF.

Gord

Supporting Actor
I'm sure the fans are complaining about the loss of extras... why isn't Columbia listening?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
[DEADPAN]

They are listening, Chris. Your next set will come packed with Archie Bunker's chair. Columbia's trying to figure out a way to get the shrinkwrap over the package just right and to make this thing fit on a DVD shelf. That's what's taking them so long.

[/DEADPAN]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I agree with Gord. Extras by themselves have never made a sale or broken one for me. Sure, they're nice to have, but I'm buying the DVD for the movie/TV show. I have several shows I'd love to see on DVD. Am I going to boycott the purchase if they're not loaded up with extras if they do come out? Nope. As long as the transfers are decent, I'll be happy.

In the case of older shows, it has to be difficult to find meaningful extras. Outtakes weren't always kept and elements for original commercials/network promos can be poor shape. Old age and death can make it difficult or impossible to tap into the show's cast and creators for interviews/commentaries.

I think I read where Paul Brownstein lucked out on the Dick Van Dyke DVD extras because he found some of the commercials, etc. on Ebay and bought them. He also made generous use of a retrospective that was done a decade ago. If anybody has listened to the Reiner/Van Dyke commentaries, while they are entertaining, it is obvious that their recollections about the series were probably much sharper long ago. Dick Van Dyke in particular has admitted he doesn't remember a whole lot about those days (primarily due to his alcoholism).

Instead of beating up Columbia, I would think AITF fans would be better served by encouraging other fans to buy the DVDs. If these were selling in big numbers, you'd be seeing a more aggressive release schedule.

Steve

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
While I love AITF, I don't think I'd call it the grand daddy of them all when it comes to TV on DVD releases, or even among Columbia's product.

I don't need extras, its good enough just to have this show on DVD. I think that the number of people that are fans enough of this show to the point that they'll be buying it is lower than people are estimating.

Gord's right on News Radio.

Oh, and this is a bit off topic, but I bought What's Happening on DVD as a blind buy for $19.99, and I've got to say that I'm hopelessly hooked on it now. I hope that we'll see a season 2 release. I really enjoyed it.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled AITF talk.

Glad to have it in July.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think there's also a misconception that "extras" are just lying around waiting to be put on a DVD. You either need to stumble across existing material, or have the resources to put something new together. While companies may want to do something, they need someone to put in front of the camera, and if those people are busy or turn you down then there's not much you can do. Dealing with a show that's as old as AitF doesn't allow for many opportunities compared to say...NewsRadio.

Chris, the companies do listen, but they usually only listen to people that present them with an argument that's well thought out. Let's look at your comments in the thread:

I'm sure you can see why anyone working at Columbia TriStar would ignore pretty much anything you say. You're hostile, and you present your opinions as though they are facts (poor sales due to lack of extras) when you have nothing to back them up.

I feel as though the companies make business decisions based on all the information they have presented to them - expected sales figures, costs to create the sets, availability of talent, advertising dollars and so on. When I'm talking to these people I never pretend to know their business better than they do, but I'm there to make suggestions and listen to what they have to say. Most of the time the things I'm suggesting are things they've already come up with and ruled out for whatever reasons. It's easy to play arm-chair executive when you don't have all the facts, but when you're presented with a fixed budget, projected sales numbers and a DVD set to get out the door it's not that easy.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks