What's new

All in the Family season 2 is UNCUT (1 Viewer)

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Except for the omission of the "From Television City in Hollywood" announcement, each episode of "All in the Family Season 2" has been restored to its original 25 to 26-minute prime-time length. With reports of one of the episodes in the "Sanford & Son Season 2" set being a 22-min syndication version rather than the full 26-minute network version, I was worried that the same thing might have happened to "All in the Family," especially since this season has some of the series' most famous episodes. Fortunately, this did not happen. In fact, "Archie in the Lock-up" retains the sequence that uses "Jesus Christ Superstar" which I thought would be cut because of music clearance issues.
One other thing, if you thought the legendary "Sammy's Visit" episode always ended right after one of TV's most famous kisses, well... you'll just have to watch the DVD version to find out.;-) This one episode is worth the purchase price alone.

Oh, one more thing;
This is what Levy the TV repairman said to Archie in "Man on the Street" (Thanks to the back cover of "All In The Family: 2nd Album):
"You should own a hotel with a thousand rooms... & have a stomach-ache in each room

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Was the announcement given during the series's second season?
I'm pretty sure it was while the show was taped at CBS. (It was later taped at Metromedia during the "Mike & Gloria Move Next Door" days).

Also, it did concern me about the running time because the back cover listed the running time as "Approx. 528 Minutes" which equals 22 minutes for each episode. That was an error on CTHE's part (They did the same thing with season one of AitF). The actual running time for season two is approximately 624 minutes.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm really looking forward to this set. This is one fantastically funny season of television. My set shipped Friday...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Thank god. But why in God's name would they release a cut version of a Sanford & Son episode?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Good Times Season One contains the opening announcement...it is John Amos's voice, so they were still doing it for shows taped at CBS in 1974.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
James "Rockford" Garner :) .........

Fill us in!
How's the AITF Season 2 transfer? Crisp? Clear? Not muddy-looking like Season 1?

(I hope it's a fair bit better than S.1.)
(Mine's on its way as well.)

Thanks. :)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I received my set yesterday and watched 3 episodes. This is one great season of sitcom television in my opinion. The transfer is similar to Season 1 which is to say it is OK but nothing great.

I'm glad to see that the packaging has somewhat improved from Season 1. The 3 disc Season 1 set came in a 3 panel gatefold case with the insert loose in between with no slip cover. The 3 disc Season 2 set comes in a 4 panel gatefold case with the 4th panel containing a pocket for the inserts and a slip cover.

I still wish there was some supplemental material with the set but for just over $20 plus shipping for a full 24 episode season I'm not complaining.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As far as I know, the CBS-aired Norman Lear shows should all have the Television City announcement until 1975, when they moved to Metromedia Square (now Fox Television Center, home of KTTV-11). In 1982, all the Tandem/Embassy shows moved to Universal City Studios, and then scattered about after Lear sold the company to Coca-Cola in 1985.

OT, Sanford and Son was taped at NBC in Burbank.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I second everything in Tony Scello's post above.

Just watched one episode on Disc 1. Looks OK, like Tony eluded, but still not really, really outstanding. A bit soft, with some slight blurriness and somewhat muted color hues. (Just like what Ron E. has said of the Sanford & Son S.2 release.)

But, like Tony also points out (and rightly so), 24 eps. for 22 clams (shipped) ain't bad at all. :)

And the packaging is indeed a leap forward from the Season 1 AITF release. Some nice pictures inside the gatefold, plus a slip sleeve and a pocket for the enclosures.

Just too bad they don't give us air-date information. Oh, well.

One complaint (as is the case with all of these Digi-Pack type cases/hubs): Discs are made much harder to remove than they need be, by the inclusion of those two extra (totally UNNEEDED) pieces of white plastic that prohibits the user from grabbing the actual disc at opposite ends (and then being able to "twist" it off its hub).

I still cannot fathom WHY these DVD holders are designed this way?! Incredibly stupid! What's the point of adding the "recessed" area for your fingers if they insist upon plugging it up with plastic barriers?! :angry:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the "Cousin Oscar Drops Dead In The Attic" ep.!

If you're ever in the need of a good strong belly-laugh, that episode will do the trick every time! [/url]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks