All in the Family packaging question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Season Two AITF came to me with a nice slipcover over the gatefold packaging, like A Hard Day's Night and Back To the Future. My Season One was similar, but minus the sleeve.

Were they packaged like this? Or did I somehow miss out on the sleeved Season One?

Jon

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

No sleeve on my season 1.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

No sleeve on Season 1. Here's a link to my old review.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

No sleeve on my Season 1.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Wait, let me rephrase: There's no need for anyone else to respond. Columbia did NOT make sleeves on ANY copy of All In The Family Season 1 (nor The Larry Sanders Show). In the course of doing my review, I was in touch with someone there at Columbia who told me that the packaging I got on the review copy was the regular retail configuration for AITF S1.

There was a bad reaction from this packaging, from customers and not just internet DVD reviewers (like me). [​IMG]

By the time they had come out with Jeffersons S1 and Sanford & Son S1, Columbia had gotten enough negative feedback that they decided to add the slipcovers to their packaging. It has been on every similar release afterward. For AitF S2 they simply made sure that the addition of the slipcover would not make the new releases look inconsistant on the shelf with the S1 release.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer