All In The Family - not at all in Canada ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Corey, Mar 28, 2002.

1. James Corey

James Corey Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone north of the border managed to find the box set of Season 1?

The usual Canuck websites (FS, HMV) had it as being available to order with a street date to match the U.S.(Mar 26) but these listings mysteriously disappeared on Monday and the local B&M's service clerks disavow any knowledge of it's existence, let alone being able to provide a release date here.

Does anyone have any info on when we can expect to be able to pick this title up locally ? Any one seen it in-store?

Anyone?......anyone?

2. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I haven't seen it at Future Shop or A&B Sound either...

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

It's probably been delayed to somehow figure out how to get the frickin' French on the package.
    And no, I'm not joking. [​IMG]
    Jeff

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, I was just looking into that very topic last night! I didn't look at anything "future", but from what I can tell, at this time AitF is unreleased in Canada. Maybe they figure its a USA tv show.

Gord, if you're peeking on this thread, can you check into it more on your Canadian end? Thanks,

5. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I really don't think it's a USA show as you said it, Dave. It's on 3 times a day on Prime TV in Canada.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I didn't mean to imply that *I* thought of it as a "USA" show; I meant to imply that perhaps Columbia thinks of it as such. Just trying to figure out reasons for not seeing it on Canadian listings, so I'm throwing ideas out there. I don't swear that any of them make sense. But then, when did a studio's marketing department ever make sense? [​IMG]

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Outside of Quebec, what percentage of Canadians are primarily French speaking? Just curious.

8. James Corey

9. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

can't you just order it from a US dvd site such as www.deepdiscountdvd.com
    FYI I got mine today and it looks/sounds MUCH better than any reviews say.I'm pleased with this set even though the packaging does suck

10. James Corey

That option remains, but with a $0.63 Canadian Dollar plus the duties and handling charge from Canada Customs (15% + $5.00), I think I'm gonna wait to see if it hits the shelves here. As posted previously, it's on at least twice a day here (more if you have a sat.dish), so since I've waited this long, another month or so won't make a big difference.

I'm glad to hear that the video/audio quality makes up for the shabby packaging.

11. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    It's not unusual for Canada to get shorted on a title that sells exceptionally well above expectations. The almighty U.S. orders get priority and Canada gets shipped late after they catch up on pressings. It was almost impossible to find MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR on street date in Canada but it has turned up since then.

12. James Corey

Rob - I remember the Disney tin situation, but at least they had a release date (same date as the other tins, it just arrived a week or so late) but in this case, the stores that I have spoken to and websites that I have visited don't even have a date listed any longer.
    FS had the release date on their site as March 26, but the item was withdrawn a day or so before street date they still do not have it listed (same with HMV).

13. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Wait until Monday and I should be able to get you the correct answer. I have friends in the business who can help me with this.

14. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I was at C&L's warehouse today (CNL.com), and I asked what was happening with this release. The person I talked to seemed rather surprised that I would ask, responding that they had received a shipment weeks ago, but they were currently sold out of it. They have it listed on their website for $35.96 CAD, but on back order.

15. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Gary, funny how they would find it surprising if they sold off their initial shipment.

16. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    A friend in the industry confirmed to me today that Columbia do not have the Canadian rights for the DVD's.

That leaves the internet as your easiest choice to purchase the series from the U.S. If you live in a large market you may find someone like HMV will bring some in on import but they will likely go fast. HMV did this with BUCKAROO BANZAI in their flagship Toronto store which is where I got my copy. ( It's likewise currently unavailable in Canada. )

17. James Corey

Thanks for the info Rob. I was afraid this might be the case.
    Your friend didn't happen to mention who does have the rights for Canadian release by any chance ?

18. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    To the best of his knowledge, nobody does.