What's new

All in the Family, Hogan's Heroes and The Cosby Show on DVD from Colubmia House!!! (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Whoo-hoo! Didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd mention it. I'm so excited about "All in the Family." All are subscription only, like "I Love Lucy," 4 episodes to a disc. $4.95 for first disc, and I THINK $19.95 for subsequent discs.
They have some other TV shows available on DVD, too. Just go to www.columbiahouse.com and click on "Classic TV Series," then up at the top on "Titles on DVD."
[Edited last by Brian W. on October 19, 2001 at 05:57 AM]

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
That's great news. I am going to at least try out the All in the Family series. Hopefully the discs are of a nice quality. At least the first disc in the series is only 4.95, so if the quality is lacking it is no big loss.
J
------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This has suddenly turned into an awesome day for DVD news! First My Bodyguard and Breaking Away, and now this! I haven't clicked the link yet, but I hope they are going to be released in order.
Columbia House puts out Airwolf and the A-Team on VHS, so maybe there's hope they'll put those on DVD as well.
------------------
Wang Chi: Here's to the Army and Navy, and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
patriot.gif

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I would like to get the Cosby Show, but how many DVD's(episdoes) will you get total. Do you gett he opportunity to get ALL the episodes that was ever created???

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I guess that depends on how well they sell. If people keep buying them, they'll probably keep issuing episodes. It really doesn't say on their web site. I understand they discontinued their "Carol Burnett Show" series on VHS after about 3 episodes, presumably because it wasn't selling well. Maybe they've reinstated it now, I don't know. I'm also not sure if the episodes are in order for these shows or not. I know "I Love Lucy" is.
[Edited last by Brian W. on October 19, 2001 at 05:55 AM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Thanks for the heads-up, Brian! I have got to order the All In The Family DVD. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not they would continue releasing episodes from the series or is this most likely a one-time occurrence?
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Does anyone know if Hogan's Hero's will be release to a B&M. I really do not want to get wrapped up with Columbia House again.
frown.gif

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
With Season Box Sets all the rage I can't get excited over 4 half hour episodes per disk that with tax will likely cost you $25.00 a pop. An entire season of Mash for around $30 now that I can get excited over.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Sadly, I must agree with Dave Scarpa. If they released All in the Family in season box sets, I'd be among the first in line to get 'em. This way, however, it'd take forever and be mucho expensive for a show that ran so long.
------------------
I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
my DVDs

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Are the All in the Family DVDs in chronological order? Or are they "best of" compilations?
I'm afraid I can't get too excited about best of compilations. I'll get excited with season by season box sets.
------------------
Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html
[Edited last by Tom B on October 19, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

Terry H

Second Unit
I was just thinking yesterday that All in the Family is the only TV series I might be willing to purchase. What a shame they have chosen this format. Dave Scarpa nailed my opinion on this one. Season box sets is the way to go and the only way I would buy them.

Rolando

Screenwriter
As much as I would like to own these and other shows that are sure to come, I cannot see myself bending over and taking this one.
$25 US PLUS shipping for 4 twenty something minute episodes? Does that include the vaseline? SHEESH!!!
BOX SETS BABY OR NOTHING!
------------------
Rolando Avendano

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
First, Scott is mistaken -- it's not $24.95, it's $19.95 plus S&H. I just checked Columbia House's website again -- I even refreshed the page to make sure. And your first disc is only $4.95 plus shipping, and you can return any of them you don't want.
I would prefer to purchase a full-season box set, too -- what brought this whole thing up was that Paramount canceled their "I Love Lucy" set -- which was going to be a "best of" anyway. But as as far as I know, there are no plans for an "All in the Family" season-by-season box set, so I'm going to start with these. What are the chances of Fox releasing 8 boxed sets of "All in the Family" on DVD? That's how many it would be, one for each season. Fairly slim chance, I'd say.
Here's the cut-and-paste from the Columbia House web site:
"Your introductory DVD from ALL IN THE FAMILY ON DVD will be sent to you for just $4.95 plus $3.99 shipping and handling. You will be enrolled in the series, and be eligible to receive another DVD in the series every 4-6 weeks for just $19.95 (apprx) . Each DVD will arrive with a 10-day risk-free preview privilege, and you will not be under any obligation to make any future purchases. If you are not delighted with your introductory DVD, return it at our expense within 10 days, and be under no further obligation.
This offer is only available to United States customers. Canadian customers can call 416-299-8149 for more information, or visit the Canada Video Library. Offers may vary."
[Edited last by Brian W. on October 19, 2001 at 07:10 PM]

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I will buy ALL of the All in the Family DVD's.
Hopefully the DVD's will be taken from low generation masters. Since the shows were shot on quad they should look quite good.
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985
[Edited last by Scott Strang on October 20, 2001 at 12:28 AM]

Adam N

Agent
I noticed that Columbia offers the Stooges. There are over 200 episode in all, can you get ALL of them through this offer, or should I (we) wait for an all encompassing box set in the future? Any thoughts?!?!?!?!?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I would also like to point out my hope that other CH titles will be made available on DVD, particularly:
Barney Miller
Bewitched
Cheers
Diff'rent Strokes
Facts of Life
Family Ties
Good Times
I Dream of Jeannie
The Jeffersons
Roseanne
Sanford & Son
Soap
I do prefer the season-by-season box set model, but it looks unlikely that the respective studios or CH will do so. As long as all of the episodes are available, I'm happy.
------------------
Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks