What's new

All In The Family DVD: Some Advice (2 Viewers)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
So do I, Mark. There are plenty of other series out there from all companies which are getting full releases that cannot possibly be selling more than ALL IN THE FAMILY, or are just as "mediocre".

Take SANFORD AND SON for instance (which I enjoy). Not only is the entire show out in individual seasons, but I just sprung for the "Complete Series Set" which has every episode for only $50.00!
The one drawback is that all the discs sit on a spindle like the way you buy blank CDs or DVD-Rs... you have to lift the stack to find one on the bottom... but I'll take it, because I still think it's a great deal. Granted, the show only ran 6 seasons, and that's how many AITF seasons are currently out...

Sorry to get off the subject of AITF there, but I'd love to see a similar "Complete Series Set" done for AITF. Maybe Sony feels that AITF runs out of steam later (though it's still a great show at least up to when Mike and Gloria leave) and maybe they assume fans aren't interested.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^
Great point. I love my Sanford and Sons (bought the singles years ago). But why I don't have AitF complete right beside those is a mystery that belongs in the Bermuda flippin Triangle. :confused:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have to chime in here as well and say that I don't think sales alone are playing a driving force behind the decision to release AITF on dvd. They are releasing Season 4 of The Partridge Family in February and they just released Season 3 in October. Didn't they say that it takes quite a bit of time before they can measure sales? So how did they come to the decision to release Season 4 so quickly?

We're coming to 2 years since the last set was released, so maybe it will be picked up again. The thing that confuses me about Sony is the waiting between sets and the jumping around. They were back to Barney Miller after a long wait and then Just Shoot Me and The Partridge Family. It's not a consistant pattern for fans to collect. No logic. If they want to maintain interest and sales, they need to realize that fans will collect to completion. Dropping the show mid-series I think does more to alienate buyers because they will go back to the show later and find some buyers have lost interest. Just my opinion.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I certainly don't want to deprive anyone of the entire run of the series who wants it, but speaking for myself I'd just be happy to get the next two seasons (7 and 8) and end with the final episode of season 8 where Archie breaks down while saying goodbye to Mike and Gloria.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I always liked the one where Archie and Edith go visit Mike & gloria at Christmas and find out they are separated. That one is very much like real life. I missed recording it when it aired on TVLand years ago so I don't even have that one at all. :frowning: So I'm buying every single set!! Just want that known. ;) And then Archie Bunkers Place. I'll buy each of those too if they release more than 1.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Oy, Archie Bunker's Place...

I took a gamble and bought the DVD set of Season One. I couldn't finish it... just horrible (sorry)...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Whether AITF was selling well (whatever THAT arbitrary term means) or not, the point is that plenty of other shows that sell the same, or maybe worse, are still being put out. You can't expect an older show like that to sell as much as THE SIMPSONS.

So did THE ODD COUPLE sell like hotcakes? I'd reckon no more than AITF did, yet all seasons were put out by Paramount - and fast, too.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Half the time, the studios are condemned for "worshipping the almighty dollar" by failing to put out worthy shows that sell badly. The other half (as in this thread), they're condemned for ignoring the almighty dollar by failing to put out a series assumed to be profitable. The reason for this peculiar behavior? Since nothing really makes sense, it's assumed to be corporate ignorance or an anti-show agenda.

What?

Why does everybody here seem to think they can determine sales figures based on other series? The fact is, most everybody is almost always wrong. Remember, DVD sales are different from ratings, or whatever ratings a series may have had thirty years ago. Some series that were less popular sell better to the segment of the population that purchases DVDs. A show like "Arrested Development" was never popular in the ratings, but the people who loved it were the sort who bought DVDs. Other shows more popular during their broadcast run do not sell well. (I'm told, by somebody I trust but without evidence, that "King of the Hill" falls into that category.) It would seem that a lot of DVD buyers have affection for escapist, high-concept series like "Bewitched," which reran in the afternoons when they were home from school (unlike, in most markets, "All in the Family").

Understand, I desperately want to buy the remaining Mike and Gloria seasons of "All in the Family" (and then I'll stop). But I'm not self-centered enough to believe that everybody else is like-minded.

How does a show like "All in the Family" sell compared to "The Odd Couple"? I have no idea. None whatsoever. But don't make the assumption that the costs to get these DVDs to market are identical, because they almost certainly are not. Also, series sales always decline as seasons progress, and retailers that have a bunch of the earlier seasons of "All in the Family" sitting around are unlikely to jump at ordering more. So getting all five seasons of a series out is less difficult than getting a longer-running series completed.

(And of course, some longer running series have been completed. But what applies to one does not apply to all.)

Sony does not want to leave money on the table. And nobody expects an old series to sell as well as a current hot series. Nobody. So don't use that as a convenient target of your disdain for the studio, because you just made it up.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It would seem very likely that the cost of producing the sets and their sales expectations would be close to other shows of the same era that they finished rather than comparing it to The Simpsons or their own Seinfeld. If they aren't, I'd be curious as to what made All In The Family cost so much more (which, in turn, would make them have to sell more) than Soap or Sanford And Son.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, but while I understand that business is bu$ine$$, I still believe that something should be considered when we're talking about preserving great movies or TV series. It's unfair to great award winning shows, just because they had the "disadvantage" of being produced 30 years before the era of "TV on DVD" that they get ignored in place of releasing junk like "The Biggest Loser", "Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" or "The Anna Nicole Smith Show".

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, there's GOOD TIMES, THE JEFFERSONS, SANFORD AND SON...

...and now we hear that RHODA is coming out.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Count me in for seasons 7 & 8 as well.

I've been hankering for some AitF lately and have been playing various episodes the last week. I almost bought Archie Bunker's Place this week just because I wanted some "new" eps to spin, but I'm glad I didn't. I remember it too well, and it just can't compare.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The only classic TV currently on Sony's release schedule is Bewitched Season Seven (2/3/09) and The Partridge Family Season Four (also 2/3/09).

Mike*SC

Second Unit
But they're not destroying these shows. They're available, on and off, on cable and elsewhere. They're available, that is, in the intangible form that they existed from the day they were broadcast until actual DVDs started being produced. And realize that Sony is only one part of the equation. They also have to be able to get these things on the shelves of the big retailers -- Wal•Mart, Best Buy, Target, etc. Are these stores also morally obligated to devote shelf space to items their customers don't care about? If they're not buying, it doesn't matter how much Sony wants to produce these sets… it's a dead issue, simple as that.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I agree. Archie Bunker's Place would have a different profit distribution structure from All in the Family and Sanford and Son, but All in the Family and Sanford and Son (Maude, too) would all work the same way. As far as other costs go, Sanford would have the added cost of more music clearances than either of the other two shows.

Maybe it is as simple as six being the magic number for older shows at Sony. Sanford and Son ended after six years, and they are all out. All in the Family ran nine, six of which are available. If the shows sold similarly well, there may just have been the steady drop-off we have all heard about from one season to the next, and the drop from season 5 to season 6 is the killer. Or, Sanford and Son may just have sold a whole lot more units than AITF. Does anyone have access to industry numbers on the subject?

I just checked a list, and as far as I can tell, Seinfeld is the only show distributed by Sony that has ever gone past six seasons on DVD, until the forthcoming Bewitched 7th season set. Am I missing any?

On the other hand, Sony seems the most mercurial of the majors, so they may revise their plans at any time and give us more AITF, as with Barney Miller, Mad About You and several other back-from-the-abyss Sony-owned shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks