What's new

All-in-One with A/B speaker options? (1 Viewer)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Does such a beast exist?

Due to space restrictions and potential location of the unit, I'm looking for an all-in-one 5.1 surround sound unit with incorporated DVD player -and- "B" speaker outputs for speakers in an other room.

Unfortunately, all the all-in-one units I've seen don't have the "B" speaker output option.

If anyone knows of such a machine, please let me know!

Cheers,

JB

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Not an all in one, but a slimline receiver:

The Panasonic SA-XR57 is about 4 to 5 inches tall. Slimline DVD players are readily available as well.

Panasonic was supposed to be coming out with the SA-XR700, which decodes all the highdef formats, but it's out of stock at most stores.

What sort of space constraints are you dealing with?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Yeah, the XR57 with a slimline DVD player may be my only option.

Essentially, my space dilema is the 4.5" opening above my TV normally reserved for a VCR. Once clear of the opening, the ceiling of the cabinet is another 4"-5" giving plenty of breathing space for a unit. I tried putting my older Yamaha RX-V540 in the space but due to it's feet and when sitting on a Panasonic F65 5 Disc DVD player, I can't read the display. It's also a pain in the ass to load a 5 Disc Carousel when you can't see the titles (to high up). This is why I'm looking for a single disc all in one machine with "B" speaker outputs for music in my living room.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
is there a way to get two chassises side by side?

The panasonic is 16.9 x 4.3 x 15.5" (430 x 110 x 394mm) .

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Thanks Kean-Hock, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Don't need the speakers so I'll try hitting e-bay to find a stand alone unit.

Cheers, JB

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Just wanted to give folks a little update...

My quest was to find an all in one beast with A/B speaker switching, AM/FM Tuner, DVD playback and would fit within the confines of a VCR shelf inside my TV Cabinet. The problem I encountered is most HTiB's of that size are garbage and come with proprietary speaker inputs for the gargbage speakers included in the package. I did have a "spare" Yamaha RX-V540 and DVD player, but they don't fit in the space :frowning:

I looked at the Onkyo recommended in this thread (2 years old and discontinued), but at 1% THD and a weak amp section, I stopped trying to find one.

I next came upon a Denon AVD-700 that didn't have B speaker options (which I could solve with a speaker switching box) but was slimline and met all the other criteria. Only problem was that the dealer only had the floor model left (again 2yr old model, discontinued), and it seemed to have trouble reading every other disc I'd put in it (mixture of original CD's and CD-R's, DVD's and DVD-R's). It was also pricey at $699 CDN so I kept looking...

Then, out of the blue, I came accross the NAD L53. Doesn't have B speakers (again, speaker switch solves this problem) and it's only 2.1-channel. At first I discounted it but realized that I wasn't planning on doing 5.1 any time soon (already have a Rotel/B&W 6.1 setup in the basement and wife might go bananas if I buy more speakers for the family room than the 2 already in there) but the NAD had an incredibly solid Burr-Brown amp section (rated at 50 wpc), a built-in DVD player, a sub-out (if I ever want to add a sub) and additional input capabilities for iPod, Game Console, etc, not found in the other cheap HTiB's. The icing on the cake was the encredibly versatile learning remote included at such a low price point.

The NAD L53 now sits comfortably on the shelf above my TV and I've noticed a new life to my speakers that my previous 18 year old amp wasn't able to achieve (a supposed 200 wpc :rolleyes). I'm not finding myself listening to more music than before due to the wonderful sound this thing puts out.

Cheers, JB

contactpro

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I tried to use the Panasonic SA-XR57 with the awesome OPPO BD-83 Blu-ray player as a source for A/V activities. At first I thought that inexpensive HDMI cables were to blame for NO signal passing through to my Panny 1080p plasma screen. Not the case. I have to dumb down the BD player to 1080i to make it work. What's the point? It makes no sense to buy a $500 near perfect player to reduce its ability to view a 1080p picture and less than optimum audio. It looks like this SA-XR57 is up for sale. Anyone interested?
Write [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks