All in one Firewall, virus, spyware product?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkMel, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Is there an all-in-one firewall, virus, spyware product out there that would protect a user that is connected via DSL?

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Norton and several other companies offer that type of product. You should also check out bsafe.com as it is not mentioned often, but has received very high ratings for its products.

I should mention that few, if any, of these include spyware products. Your best bet is to download AdAware and Spybot S&D.

Honestly, if you want to go free, I would get AVG Antivirus, use the XP firewall and AdAware. For a firewall you could also get a router to use as a hardware firewall.

3. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Thanks Seth. Which is better, a hardware firewall, a software firewall, or both?

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Your "best" protection would be to use both. However, in most cases an external firewall will be sufficient for home use. If I could only choose one, it would be external.

Personally, I use both -- a Dlink router/firewall/wireless access device and ZoneAlarm's free PC firewall. ZoneAlarm provides a nice feature, notifying you when a new application on your PC attempts to access the Internet. It's another way to detect viruses and spyware.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Both is best. I would use an external and then just enable the XP firewall (assuming you have XP). As Scott mentioned, there are some other free software firewalls out there if you'd rather use them than the XP firewall.

6. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yes, it's called linux [​IMG]

there are plenty of free tools, why do you want an all in one? when i clean up a windows machine, i make sure to install spybot, ad aware, and avg antivirus, free edition. unless you really want the all in one solution, those should take care of your av/spyware needs for free.

CJ

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Getting an external router/firewall is a good step. That will block direct active attacks from the outside trying to exploit a flaw in Windows for instance.

That doesn't do much for attacks from trojans, programs you run in the belief they are beneign. Those call out, and the way out through most routers is wide open, so to block that you need antivirus and antispyware (and even that won't catch everything, so you need a software firewall too that alerts you when something suddenly wants to call out.)

It's hard to do it right with just any one software product, but maybe that Trend product might work for the parts inside the perimeter router/firewall.

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    true. my brother clicked on the AIM link that said something like "hey i found your picture online!" i thought i had him trained better than that, but he clicked it. his computer would stay on for a maximum of 5 minutes, usually less than a minute. the most important virus scanner is one you already have, your brain. keep the definitions up to date [​IMG]

CJ

10. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

F-secure makes a great anti-virus with firewall, personally I use Avg free edition along with spy sweeper and my router never have any issues with spyware or anything, it mostly comes down to common sense and safe browsing.

11. Scott Merryfield

After several years of paying for either Norton or MacAfee anti-virus (whichever would be cheaper when my subscription was due), I've gone the totally freeware route now. My tools:

Dlink external router/firewall
    AVG anti-virus
    Spyware Blaster
    Ad-Aware spyware tool
    ZoneAlarm software firewall
    Firefox browser
    Windows Updates

I used to run Spybot, too, but for some reason I can no longer update the definitions on either of our XP machines. I get some sort of checksum error on each machine when attempting to download the definitions. Uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix the problem, either.

The above tools have kept my PC completely clean. However, my wife still gets the occasional spyware infection on her PC -- I can't seem to get her trained completely on safe computing. That's why we each have our own PC now. [​IMG]

12. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll look in to all of them. Also, it doesn't have to be free, I'm willing to pay for something if it's good.

13. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I think if you want a single-vendor all-in-one solution, Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security Suite 2006 is an excellent choice. This security suite has a small footprint, works great, and has fast and frequent updates for all components. [​IMG]

14. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Originally posted by Scott:

I had this same problem. I searched Spybot's help section for "checksum." They said that the error has something to do with an overloaded server. They suggested downloading the updates from another mirror. This worked and for the last few months this is how I have had to update it.
    If I remember correctly I switched and downloaded them from one of the other European sites. All this can be done within the application. Let me know if you have any questions.

MarkMel - Was there any particular reason you wanted an all in one program? The only real benefit I can see is with ease of use and updating. For example, my parents have a hard time remembering to update and run a bunch of different programs. This after I've automated a lot of it.

Unless there is a particular reason you want an all-in-one product I would follow the advice everyone else gave.

Personally I use the following:
    AVG - Was using Norton and decided to try AVG.
    Zone Alarm - As firewall and spyware removal
    Spybot S&D
    Pest Patrol
    Firefox

Regards,

Tom

15. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Usually this means that there's a newer version out. That's my one gripe about Spybot. It shouldn't be that difficult to generate the error to refer to the version being out of date. Even still...it's worth every dime I pay for it. [​IMG]

All in one programs have ups and downs. UP...more convenient. DOWN...nobody can excel at everything.

I've always been a PC-Cillin fan for anti-virus. I am behind a router and use XP's built in firewall which tests out extremely well. I've never found a good reason for an average user to pay for a separate firewell...hardware or software.

90 to 95 percent of keeping spyware at bay is safe surfing. For spyware I've been using Msoft's free program and it's cruising along just fine. I'm Network Admin and when I run into a machine I suspect has spyware I'll run Spybot and AdAware back to back. It frequently takes both to eliminate every problem.

16. Scott Merryfield

I am, too, Mark. However, I found that Norton and MacAfee were not offering me any more functionality that I actually used than the freeware packages, so I switched to AVG.

Paul and Tommy, thanks for the suggestions on the Spybot checksum error. I did re-download the application before re-installing, so I'm pretty sure I had the current version (Paul's suggestion). That was my first thought, too. I did not know about changing download servers within the application, though (Tommy's). I'll give that a try.

17. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

How about Panda Software's Platinum Virus Suite? Anyone have any experience with it? It was recommended buy a computer guy.

18. Scott Merryfield

FYI, I checked out the alternate download servers in Spybot, and that fixed my problem. Thanks, Tommy! [​IMG] I never even noticed that option to change the download site. :b

19. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

panda is okay, personally I didnt think too much of it, I prefer to use trend micro,AVG, or F-secure. along with the other very useful tools you should use such as spyware blaster,Webroot SpySweeper

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Let me also add some hearty support for Trend
    Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security Suite 2006

I used to use Norton. I stopped because it's
    a huge memory hog that burdened my system's
    resources.

For $50 a year, Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet
    Security Suite 2006
    has been a godesnd. It