All-in-one: Bose 3-2-1 v. Denon DHT-700DV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David TM, Dec 1, 2001.

1. David TM

David TM Auditioning

Intrigued by the Bose surround sound without back speakers (i.e., two front speakers and woofer replicating surround sound -- fully DTS supported). But have heard great things about Denon (which is about $100 cheaper). Also looking at the Sony DAV-C700 which is attractive because its cheaper still by $300 and has a five-disc changer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

David

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I cannot recommend buying a 3 speaker based surround system. EVER! It cannot and will not sound anything as good as true surround.

If you are considering buying a $1000 system, have fellow HTFers give you some recommendations for equipment. You would be shocked to see just how much your hard earned $$$$ can buy. (I'm not up on the latest gear at the best prices, so I'll leave that to those who are better informed. But I am sure that you can beat the Bose 3-2-1 badly!)

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Your headed in the right direction with the Denon, Stay Away from the Bose 3-2-1, please listen to us! And listen to other REAL surround set ups, you won't be sorry!

Welcome to the HTF forum David!

We as informed HT enthusiasts will not recommend this way overpriced, inferior sounding Bose 3-2-1 thingy.

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I would suggest looking at any two speaker system advertising itself as a surround sound system as you would an automotive manufacturer advertising a four wheel drive SUV with only two wheels.

Both DTS and Dolby Digital require a minimum of five speakers to be heard at their best (with perhaps the exception of a centre channel). Any less and you're just not hearing either at their full potential.

Adam

5. BrentC

BrentC Agent

Ahh the BOSE jedi mind trick "You DO hear surround sound" Look there is no way you can get Surround sound from two speakers and a sub. You either need to get a system with 5 speakers (the denon is good but there are so many speakers out there don't rush into anything spaekers last a LONG time) Or if you don't have room for, or just don't like the idea of, surrounds get a really good stereo system. for a thousand bucks you could get a very good(read:NON-BOSE) sound system.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

What I'd recommend is that you keep in mind that you might well be living with this system for a long while. With that in mind, I, based on all of the times I've listened to Bose products, simply cannot advise that these be the target of your purchase. To help you decide, I'm going to post a link to a CNET article reviewing HT's in a box. I'd point out that the Onkyo system scored highest, but there are others that do well also.
    Link: http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-63...69-8-7923515-1

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I thought I'd add 2 things:

1. I'd be willing to bet if you did a blindfold test between something like the Onkyo system and that of Bose, you'd hear a very major, night and day type difference.

2. Welcome to this board. I'm a newbie myself and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed and learned from the other posters here.

8. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the board. Please listen to these people, they DEFINITELY know what they're talking about. Stay away from Bose like the "lie to ya but by the time you figure out how horrible it really is they have your money and you're too ashamed to admit the system is really that bad so all you can do is praise how much you love it" plague. It was a sad day today, I saw some guy about to buy a 55" widescreen Hitachi Ultravision and the salesman was seriously pushing that 3-2-1 system on him. Poor guy wouldn't know the difference between that and a real system. So, in closing, do a little research, ask around here, and search previous posts and you should be able to get the best set-up you're looking for.

p.s. Exactly was is the scientific technology in that Bose system? It looks to me like they're just profitting off of sound reflecting off of a wall behind you.

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Welcome to the forum David
    BoseMarketing strategy almost suckered another
    person into wasting heaps of money on $20.00 worth of equipment.
    Now that you joined this glorious forum you are no longer a
    J6P (Joe Six Pack, AKA Average Joe) You have entered
    a world where the true audiophiles reside. And when
    I say true audiophiles, I mean the non snobs, the ones's who
    really care about clean audio and video reguardless or name
    or price.
    Bose is a company who has built themselves upon sales from
    the J6P's of the world. The uninformed buyer is the biggest
    supporter of Bose. What company do you know of that would
    tout thier product so highly yet not list any specifications
    on thier components. Critical specifications like Signal To
    Noise Ratio (S/N), Sensitivity, Power Output (RMS), Total Harmonic Distorsion(THD),
    Frequency Response (Freq-Resp) and more.. Only Bose would
    panhandle thier gear without providing these critical specs
    to the end user.
    Now that you are with us, this will of course all change.
    It's sort of like when Morpheus gives Neo the option to
    choose... Do you want to take theBlue Pill or the Red Pill ?
    You owe it to yourself, your wallet and your hard earned
    dollars to audition as many of these systems IN PERSON as
    you can. Listen to them all.. look at the features.. look
    at the future... You will eventualy get smitten with this
    disease and you will want to upgrade. So does the system
    offer you the choice to expand? Keep that in mind..
    Denon,Onkyo,Sony,Kenwood,JVC,Pioneer all make HTiB systems
    that are all much better than anything Bose will offer you
    in my honest opinion. Don't fall for the "Full surround from
    2 speakers" because it's flat out Bull $hit.. Psycoacoustics
    is an old trick that your ears play on your mind. It makes
    you THINK you are hearing surround behind you, when in fact
    you are not.. Does it work? Yes.. Is it anything like a real
    5.1 6.1 or 7.1 surround setup? Hell no! [​IMG]

10. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

I was in Sears the other day looking for a new ShowStopper and they had the Bose system set-up, I listened, IT SUCKED IMHO.

There's no way to produce proper surround sound w/o rears, I don't care what Bose says.