All heed! The end is near!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeremy Jones, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the end is near, and it's a good thing! I went by Wal-Mart last night to check out the new renovations to the electronics department. There, in the back, are the rear projection televisions. So far, there'd only been 4x3 hdtvs. Now, there are 4 16x9 hdtvs and only 1 4x3! I guess people have been complaining about the black bars! Heheheheh! Also, the number of VHS is much smaller now. For Wal-Mart to be making the transition to widescreen, I think the battle is almost won, folks!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes! Maybe this is the year that the 4x3's will stop coming into the US. Finally, some decent pictures for everybody!

Glenn

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, 4:3 is going to be US TV standard for at least the next 10 years. They're going to need to start making cheap 16:9 tubes

5. Michael St. Clair

Agreed, most people buy affordable direct-view sets, and aren't about to change.

Also, widescreen sets don't spread adoption of OAR, which should be a far greater concern.

6. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Don't forget, that even if everyone had a 16:9 set by the end of the year. They will all still be screaming for 16:9 Pan & Scan movies from the studio's. They just hate those black bars.

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Each time I go at my Wal-Mart to buy a new movie that just came out, they **sigh** never have the widescreen version in stock... I always ask why, here's the answer: "because we never sell those, everyone are buying Full Screen version..." Sigh... there is a long way to go....

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Our Wal-Mart did this too about two months ago. They even have a nice 30" 16:9 Phillips tube, as well as 16:9 RPTVS from Pioneer and Panasonic. There is a cheap $730 Phillips 32" 4:3 HD tube I am considering buying for HTPC purposes, mainly due to the VGA input it has, which I haven't seen on any HD tubes before (aside from it's $200 higher flat screen twin from Phillips at Sam's).

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Jason, Samsung has a 27" 4:3 HD model, as well as a new 26" widescreen HD tube.

10. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Also, Samsung makes a nice 30" widescreen tube. I bought one for my bedroom and LOVE it! Great home theater for a smaller room or bedroom.