What's new

all-digital Harman Kardon DPR 1001 ? (1 Viewer)

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
The HK web site has had this out since last fall. Now they have anounced an additional model @ 100/channel along with further refinements. It is not yet on the web site, though the detail is in a press release on the web site under news.

I had a reply from someone that was at CES, saw the 1001 unit, and said it was FANTASTIC!!! No fan problems...no heat problems, clean sound and tight!!! I think this may be the next generation of teechnology. Read the detail and comment. Still waiting for it to hit the street.....

Serge Ch

Agent
Skip, sorry I ment AVR not DPR. AVR7000 is previous Harman Kardon flagship. With list price of $1800 you can get it now "reconditioned" at $600. Older model now - they have dpr8000 and dpr7200. But still 7000 is excellent receiver with 110watt of real power. But all of thouse huge begemoths generating a lot of heat compare to those new 1001 and 2001 all-digital units.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
My question is don't receivers/pre-amps that have digital inputs already have a digital path to the amplifier section?
No, The digital is usually converted to analog first. These new HK have digital power amps, which are much more efficient.

The trick has been getting high quality output at the full frequency range. Digital amps are commonly used in subwoofers since they work well at low frequencies. This is one the first mid-range receiver I've seen. Sony has some integrated SACD/Receiver units which use a digital power amp as well.

Up to now digital amps have either been
1) very expensive (they have tried to get quality sound across the full frequency spectrum)
2) cheap (they ignored the high frequency distortion - i.e. HTBs)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Are there other manufacturers that are releasing digital path receivers in the near future? If not, not only am I going to buy the HK, I'm going to buy some of their stock too. Traded as HAR on the NYSE. I'm not real familiar with amplifier technology yet but maybe somebody can help. What about digital power amps in higher wattages? If I want to add a power amp to this receiver, what are going to be the complications? I assume I will need a D/A converter for traditional power amps right? Or can this work from a simple preout on the receiver? Sorry if this is confusing but I am confused!!! Also, if I were to be using digital speaker technology, does this mean a direct digital signal all the way from source to air? MM

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Does anyone know if these new digital units still suffer from the sensitivity to speaker impedence that the last generation had? Or can these maintain a flat responce regarless of speaker impedence curves?

Digital speakers? What, would the cones just pop between 2 precise positions very, very quickly? Why not skip the amp and speakers and take the digital path directly into the inner ear?

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking more of an IV of some sort. My friend calls it direct plasma interface and he swears we will all have some sort of port in our bodies eventually. I'm sorry, it's late and I'm taking this one to the after hours lounge! MM

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves, Sharp is credited with bringing digital amps within acceptable performance & price ranges. They've been selling similar products for a year or so now.

Several all-digital receivers were announced or shown at CES. I know Sherwood has one due later this year.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Most of Panasonic's 2003 lineup will be digital, apparently. I'll know in a couple of weeks.

Sharp's first digital 2-channel amp was $50,000!

Serge Ch

Agent
I see all the positive things the digital receiver can offer. But could anyone explane me what would be negative issues with digital receiver? Another words would I be missing anything vs. analog receiver? If not I would go after the 2001 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks