What's new

All current HD-DVD players can read 45gb triple-layer discs (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If (big if) that happens, then the differences between the two formats may become minimal - until the next upgrade of BD, of course.

Cees

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
So far BD hasn't released a dual layer disc, but I think I read somewhere that was a disc replication problem rather than a player problem.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Cees, as far as I am concerned, there is no difference between the two formats except for lunatic fringe pricing for BD, and for studio support--and that will come around.

- Steve

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

I'm beginning to think that too.

And if the same film is recoreded on medium A or medium B and reproduced correctly on both, I'm not interested in the (empty) space around it or have pleasant thoughts about a preferred format.

In fact, it just could be that HD DVD is more versatile, in suiting the format (15, 30 45Gb, ...) to the actual content (mainly: the length of the movie) that is recorded with a specific release.

Cees

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

Cees,

Before BD has their next upgrade, they actually need to have a first upgrade! ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Pete. I read, or more accurately scanned the entire thread and could not find the post where Amir said that the current HD-DVD players could be upgraded via firmware to read triple layer disks. He did write that they could be upgraded, but he did not say how.

Many others, later in the thread speculated that a firmware upgrade might, or might not be possible. I did not see a post where Amir later explained exactly what he meant by an upgrade.

Of course there were a lot of posts, so I probably missed the key one. :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
So, what about the posters that said Triple Layer was NOT possible for HD DVD, because it is not in the specs?
And, because these players can do 3L, will "all" be able to?

A BIG question remains; Can a 3L disc be produced???

The '05 Blu fans were ALL about #'s.
The '06 Blu fans were all exclusive studio support.
What are the '07 Blu fans going to be about (now that more studio's are open to doing both formats)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks