What's new

All Commercials to be broadcast in Anamorphic widescreen? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
This may be the worlds stupidest idea, but hear me out on this one....

Since no one really cares about commercials anyway, let alone pays attention to 50% of them, why not broadcast all commercials in the new HDTV Format and Anamorphic widescreen? If Joe Six Pack sees enough of it, because he's too lazy to change the channel, maby he'll eventually start to get used to, and even accept it?

Just an idea...

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
This completely ignores the fact that the advertisers who pay for the commercials most certainly do care for them and probably aren't interested in using their money to promote anything other than the product they're trying to sell.

By the way, the title of your thread is misleading.

I believe that all ads in the UK now have to be made 16:9 I'm not sure if its a legal requirement or just a collective agreement.

Maybe somebody else might know?

Rob T

Screenwriter
Lots of commercials seem to be airing in widescreen now, but I don't know if they're anamorphic...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Re the word "anamorphic": It is even incorrect, technically, to refer to 16:9-encoded DVDs as "anamorphic." There's nothing anamorphic about them. They simply contain all 480 visible lines of resolution within a 16:9 window. Nothing more, nothing less. The anamorphic process involves cinematography and film projection. Best way to put it in regard to commercials is "16:9 widescreen" or somesuch.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I don't know about Europe, but 16:9 commercials here in the U.S. are definitely not widescreen enhanced. They're just letterboxed. At least for standard NTSC anyway. No idea about HDTV signals.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're right, Bill. That's as opposed to a program which itself is broadcast in 16:9 natively. Of course, on a 4:3 screen, we're looking at letterboxing--unless you have an HD-ready. ... Ah, but you know that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks